Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI , NRA, Wisconsin Bowhunters, SCI Wisconsin Chapter,
Hunted
usa, canada, south africa, namibia
Does anyone have the ability to buy 50 grain 50 cal. muzzleloader pellets in South Africa?

Well looks like I will be using sannadex in powder form again. I have hunted in south Africa 2 times (4 and 2 years ago) I used pyrodex pellets the first time. I couldn't get any 2 years ago so I had to use sannadex. The main problem is not knowing the best load to use. Unfortunately I have not found sannadex in the states to sight in with. How many others on here hunt with a muzzleloader is the forum I should have started. Can't wait until June 1st when my next adventure begins in Kimberly S.A.

If anyone is considering hunting South Africa Wano and Swiss black powder are your 2 best options available at this time. Both come at a high cost compared to what we can buy black power back in the states. The main problem is all the red tape it takes to acquire a permit to have it and to find a transport company that will get it to you. My PH acquired me Wano 2f. It was cleaner and more powerful than the sannedex I have use prior. Black powder hunting is in my blood as much as Africa gets into your blood after only one trip. Shoot strait.

I have a Muzz hunt planned to SA this summer. Couple questions:

Did you have your outfitter aquire you the Wano 2f beforehand, or did you get it at a location once you arrived?

How much did it cost, and in what form was it?

How did it compare to pyrodex or other brands we have here in the states?

Thanks!

Dan Mortensen
Chetek, WI

Jerome, do you know if blackpowder loading components are available in Namibia?

I have a Muzz hunt planned to SA this summer. Couple questions:

Did you have your outfitter aquire you the Wano 2f beforehand, or did you get it at a location once you arrived?

How much did it cost, and in what form was it?

How did it compare to pyrodex or other brands we have here in the states?

Thanks!

Dan Mortensen
Chetek, WI

Dan.
1 - Definitely have it acquired beforehand. I tried to get powder organized a year in advance for my last hunt and it actually arrived to camp the day after I did. To get it after you arrive is next to impossible. Primers must be arranged also but they are easier to acquire. If you are hunting more than one area with commercial flights between spots you need to arrange powder and primers in each location.

2- Wano costs around $75.00 for a 500 gram canister plus shipping. Problem is getting it to your outfitter. The outfitter also has to have a permit to have it. I paid $150.00 for the canister I bought last year in Kimberley. This year I am hunting with a new outfitter in the eastern cape and he has already acquired the permit and the powder. He was able to pick it up so the price is $75.00

3- Wano 2f that I use is not as powerful as loose pyrodex 2f we get in the states. I have one other contact that only uses the Swiss black powder in South Africa. Swiss is around $250.00 a canister. Swiss is the cleanest burning most powerful powder in South Africa as of today. Wano is a close second. Sannadex is the South African powder. It in my opinion is garbage. It leaves a slime in the barrel and was very inconsistent when I used it in my muzzle loader that uses magnum rifle primers. I did use Sannadex on 1 safari but I will never use it again. DSC_0048.jpg

Jerome, do you know if blackpowder loading components are available in Namibia?

Yes, but it should be pre-ordered well in advance just to make sure that it is available prior to getting there.

NAMIBIA

AHRENS GUNS & AMMO CC
Jannie Lottering
Windhoek, Namibia
tel (264) 61.251.225
fax (264) 61.259.097
cell (264) 81.1249.292
No e-mail address

Namibian hunting outfitters should also be able to assist their clients with this.

You can also try one of the main gun shop in Windhoek, Namibia...

Rosenthal GUNS
Windhoek, Namibia
tel (264) 61.237.210
fax (264) 61.226.156
email arosenthal@iway.na

Hi there
Im new to muzzle loaders and only tried sannadex, got the same results, i have a stainless barrel which is black inside after a couple shots taken. I would like to know from the more experienced muzzlers what works best regarding bullets, solids and powders. You only see what looks like perfect combinations on television which are not discussed. I only get personal favourite combinations from fellow hunters which isn't nessecarely gonna work. Id appreciate any feedback, by the way i hunt game like kudu, gemsbuck, impala, wildebeest and my favourite the warthog. Thanx :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg