Muzzle squaring cutter and crown cutter?

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I need to square and crown a .30 caliber barrel and need recommendations for cutters. I can get both cutters, crown cutter is 45 degreee, and pilot from Midway for $100. The brand they have is PTG. Brownells has the cutters, cutter is only 79 degree, and and pilot for $165. I know that metal cutting tool quality can vary and want to do a nice job so are the cutters from Midway any good or should I look elsewhere? I also don't want to spend a small fortune as I'll likely never use them again.

Thanks

Check directly from PT&G. Also, check the ads on other gun forums. Once in a while one will pop up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.07.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.07.47 PM.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.07.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.07.49 PM.png
    584.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Reactions: CJW
I need to square and crown a .30 caliber barrel and need recommendations for cutters. I can get both cutters, crown cutter is 45 degreee, and pilot from Midway for $100. The brand they have is PTG. Brownells has the cutters, cutter is only 79 degree, and and pilot for $165. I know that metal cutting tool quality can vary and want to do a nice job so are the cutters from Midway any good or should I look elsewhere? I also don't want to spend a small fortune as I'll likely never use them again.

Thanks

There are rental options, whether you’re looking to do it by hand or in a lathe. I have been a customer here and have had all positive experiences. Good alternative for those who don’t want to buy the tools.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.44 PM.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.46 PM.png
    615.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.08.48 PM.png
    681.5 KB · Views: 98
I had to have my 7mm Rem Mag recrowned. I finally took it to a good smith here in town; $160.00. Great price and great job...if you can stand the wait (5 weeks).

The best cut and crown is done on a lathe. Use a small tipped, sharp cutter to rebate the crown area about half the diameter of the muzzle face. Then, by eye, crown from bore edge outward the diameter of the rebate. Many use 11" as a standard but making the cut perfectly plumb and concentric is the most important aspect. After the cut, lightly dress crown edge, while lathe is turning, with finger and fine 400-600 grit paper. Most gunsmiths with a lathe should be able to do this type of work.

The most important part is setting up as to close to zero runout as possible. An experienced, decent gunsmith should have little trouble doing a first class job. About $100-150 is in the normal range for this.

I'm going to call a smith tomorrow to see what he says.

I would think that buying such tools would be best left to acquiring from the source rather than a national distributor.

I would think that buying such tools would be best left to acquiring from the source rather than a national distributor.

Care to explain why?

The price directly from PTG is cheaper but requires a 6-8 week wait. Otherwise what's the advantage?

Here's the type of crown I prefer and was trying to describe. It was done freehand on a lathe.

Usually the gunsmith will take the barrel out of the action. Use two hands simultaneously to make the cuts.

Eyeballed- likely not 11 deg. exactly, just a small positive angle to the crown face.

crown.png

Crown descriptives:

crowns.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!