Muzzle Brake?

Hunting DG is not a situation where you can control orientation to the blast of a muzzle brake. It is also not a situation where you want your PH wearing ear plugs. He needs all of his senses. The last thing you need is the blast from a brake disorienting your PH at the worst possible time. Leave your brake at home, or at the very least, take it to confirm zero and then remove it for the hunt.

This is not a macho issue, it is a practical issue. I also think that with practice, anyone can learn to shoot at least a .375 effectively without a brake.

Only rifles I own that have muzzle brakes are ones designed to shoot fast.
Both AR-15’s and an AR-10
None of my game hunting rifles have them.

wab,
never confirm zero with a brake on if you are going to shoot with it off.
in all probability there will be 2 different zeroing requirements.
and 2 different grouping potentials.
bruce.

muzzle brakes,

hmmm, definitely some strong opinions on this subject. have you noticed that many outfitters in africa have their clients shooting with suppressors? why? one, it reduces recoil, but mostly it reduces noise.

now, a good season in north america has a hunter shooting 3-4 animals once or twice. a good season for a ph in africa can amount to several hundred animals shot per season. now with muzzle brakes there is a very real opportunity to become hard of hearing after hundreds of shots per season that may or may not be protected. even with protection, as posted before, brakes have such a loud noise they can damage ears even WITH protection.

i have used them in the past. in low volume shooting, and if one has time to actually put ear protection on, then maybe one can dodge the bullet and not have permanent damage. however, has anyone with a brake forgotten, or neglected or did not have the time to put the protection on? i have, and have had clients "brake me" NOT the best day ever.

i now have tinnitus. related to shooting, or shooting with brakes? not sure. i know they are ok on a range when everything can be controlled. out hunting, not so much.

my 2 cents

Just wondering why you don't see a muzzle brake on the "big bores" like some hunters will put on their 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag? I think we would all agree the muzzle brake reduces recoil. I think we also would agree the 375 and 416 calibers kick substantially more than a 300 caliber. So why is it that you don't find muzzle brakes on these bigger guns?

This should be a fun discussion.
I’ve used a brake on my .416 and still do but my .375 I got used to it and took it off. I missed my only shot at a hyena in Zim because I just had time to throw the gun up and no time for my hearing protection (early AM and just not ready for this surprise) with the .375. As you can imagine I was worried about my ears that are already shot (no pun intended)!
Everyone has an opinion but here is the bottom line: if hunting PG you have time to organize hearing protection and maybe even warn your PH to plug his ears but if DG is on the list hairy situations can come about and you have to shoot without hesitation (remember my story about hesitation?) and there is no time to think about your ears.
I have used professional hearing protection from Sport Ears and highly recommend it regardless of whether or not you use a brake.
Regards,
Philip

wab,
never confirm zero with a brake on if you are going to shoot with it off.
in all probability there will be 2 different zeroing requirements.
and 2 different grouping potentials.
bruce.

Agreed, but if you knew what that offset is you could still confirm zero. I’m just offering a solution if someone just has to have one. I don’t use them. I guess in all honesty the suppressor on my hog gun does take out muzzle jump.

I do not have any experience with a muzzle brake. I do though have experience with Magna-porting. Magna-porting is the best of both worlds. Dampens the recoil and doesn't blast the ears of companions anymore than normal. IMHO. I have a Browning A Bolt in
.375 H&H mag that is ported. I bought it that way, can't say that I would have ported it myself, but sure don't mind having it.
Good to know

I never cared for them but a new rifle I am building will have one. Why? Because my gunsmith recommended it.

I bought a blank and when it was carved it actually had way more figure than we expected. My gunsmith suggested I put a brake on to protect the stock over the long term. It's a 308 NM and he knows I load and shoot as much as I can. He mentioned that sometimes wood with a lot of figure can have a latent defect, and also the muzzle break just takes the pressure off of it over the long term. I will have a thread protector for hunting. I am still not sure I will like the break. It may end up in a drawer if I don't. But, when the fellow building the stock suggests it's a good idea I pay attention.

I was thinking of getting s muzzle brake on my 416. Now, after the comments, I’m not so sure. Used a 460 weatherby with a muzzle brake. The noise was horrendous when the owner Baz 500 fired it.
So I’ll wait and see how I go.

I use suppressors on my smaller calibers often. They help with recoil particularly on my Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM. I suffered from a torn retina and almost went blind in one eye. So when I purchased my 375 for my second trip to Africa, I got it with a brake. I don’t like the noise, but I decided I would rather go deaf than to go blind.
Now that my eye seems much better, I am trying to ween myself off the brake. I have had tinnitus for years anyway, so that’s only going to get worse no matter what I do.

Another advantage I found with a brake, for those who have never used one, your second shot can take substantially less time than without a brake. This could be a life saver in a bad situation. JMO

I will offer my little opinion on this as I have some experience with muzzle breaks. From my time with Uncle Sam as a sniper I saw the benefit of these. Sorry but I gotta say it (time to piss off most of the world) there is nothing sissy about using all the tools at your disposal. I am the first to admit that I don't shoot enough and reducing recoil and any flinching is a help for me. Also with reduced muzzle rise I am faster on my follow up shot on target. For me: I use and appreciate them

I run a muzzle brake on most my rifles including my .375 in Africa. I’ve always believed that shot placement is probably the most important aspect of having a clean, ethical and successful hunt no matter what your game is. All you guys that like that recoil, all to ya man!. Thanks

Spot on Crazycanuck grizman! Accuracy kills not horsepower
Actually the point of a brake is accurate horsepower kills. Inaccurate horsepower gets you killed.

Recent conversation with a PH about a brake for buffalo is that he'd live with the loud blast if the brake meant I hit the animal accurately the first time instead of a poor shot and dangerous recovery if I can't shoot it well without the brake.

We'll see come when it gets warmer up here in Alaska and I can get some round down range.

Just wondering why you don't see a muzzle brake on the "big bores" like some hunters will put on their 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag? I think we would all agree the muzzle brake reduces recoil. I think we also would agree the 375 and 416 calibers kick substantially more than a 300 caliber. So why is it that you don't find muzzle brakes on these bigger guns?

This should be a fun discussion.
Asking for help please. This is not about having a muzzle brake or not. I want one regardless. My problem is I have a CZ 550 Safari in 416 Rigby and I have been told since the barrel is only .698 mm I cannot have it treaded for a brake. Does anyone know of a company or way to overcome this so I can put a brake on please?

Asking for help please. This is not about having a muzzle brake or not. I want one regardless. My problem is I have a CZ 550 Safari in 416 Rigby and I have been told since the barrel is only .698 mm I cannot have it treaded for a brake. Does anyone know of a company or way to overcome this so I can put a brake on please?
can get a clamp on muzzle brake - please dont take it to Africa - the PH will hate you -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg