MRC African vs Ruger Safari

22 and 300. Hmmm- not too shabby! Definitely need (should have) a large bore then. I too would go with the MRC in 404- that combination leaves little wanting. The MRC action is mostly Win 70 design with a bit of Mauser thrown in. It retains the pre-FN Win 70 trigger and 3 position safety which IMO are big plusses. Such things as the Mauser type bolt release is nice but far from a critical feature to have. I wish MRC had retained the bolt anti-bind feature of the post-67/68 Win 70s but alas, can't have everything. :) If the MRC is good to go, can't imagine having to send it back for warranty work anyway- so whether or not MRC is in business doesn't seem to matter much, IMO.

I agree with you whole heartedly that I need a large bore rifle! I certainly have always been fascinated with the 404 Jeffery and 416 Rigby and oportunities to own one are few and far between. You seem to know a lot more about the MRC and Winchester actions than I do. Never owned either one of those...

To be honest, I dont know how many rifles I have.

I have love for the 7mm 08 Rem, it was my first rifle. I have 3 of those. I also love the Ruger m77s, I have 3006 and 280 Rem. My father bought me a Browning White Gold Medallion 300 WSM and I’ve hunted with it for years. Most recently I bought a fierce carbon fury 300 WSM that came with the “free safari.”

I agree with @Royal27 about treating the MRC like a used rifle due to lack of factory support.
Don't be overly eager and if you don't get the price you want...walk away.
There are lots of good choices out there (including, but not limited to Ruger) if the MRC deal falls through.
Keeping your eyes on the classifieds here on AH is a great start.

Another thing I'll mention is ammo availability and price if you don't reload.
Take a look at the price difference between 416RIGBY and 404J.
And don't sleep on the 375H&H as an option, ammo is everywhere and very reasonably priced.

Great points made here. I know the 375 is very popular and versatile but there’s just something about the 404J.

I know the MSRP was $1800 however this rifle has flats break, upgrades stock and he is asking $2699.

I guess I would go with Ruger 375 Ruger.
ED55AB1E-0386-4F8B-9B9A-549362CA5FB8.jpeg
E03D872E-D09E-425C-8F0C-708163A6FCBE.jpeg

While I have never owned an MRC, I have come close on many occasions. Despite what I have read from others about feeding problems, every MRC I have handled has had a great action, especially for the price. I never took the plunge with one, though, because the LOP is just too short for me and they do not offer custom dimensions for their stocks. The wood choice and fit always left something to be desired, but I do think that MRC offered a great product at a competitive price.

I am not very knowledgeable about the intricacies of the m98 and model 70 actions, so I have always looked at MRC's advertisement of their model 1999 action as the innovative marriage between these two as mostly hype. I seriously doubt it offers anything that you will not find on a Satterlee or GMA or Dakota action. Then again, it is still a great action at a considerably cheaper price. It also seems to be very well represented in custom builds.

Andrew.............the old tang safety, push feed Ruger 77 was a delight when it came to quick shooting.......and they are becoming increasingly hard to find. They were certainly not what most people consider a DG rifle. While it sounds as if you have settled on a MRC product, keep in mind that you may still be able to find a Ruger M77 MkII Magnum Express Rifle even though production stopped on these in 1998..........These can be a bargain....and I believe that they are the best rifles Ruger ever produced............Best of luck on your purchase.....FWB

Andrew.............the old tang safety, push feed Ruger 77 was a delight when it came to quick shooting.......and they are becoming increasingly hard to find. They were certainly not what most people consider a DG rifle. While it sounds as if you have settled on a MRC product, keep in mind that you may still be able to find a Ruger M77 MkII Magnum Express Rifle even though production stopped on these in 1998..........These can be a bargain....and I believe that they are the best rifles Ruger ever produced............Best of luck on your purchase.....FWB

You’re absolutely right. They are nearly impossible to find. There are 3 on gun broker now: 416, 375, and 458 win. All can be had for around plus or minus 2k.

I own several m77s and I’d love to have an RSM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!