AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I have the opportunity to pickup a MRC 416 Rigby or a 404 Jeffery right now. I have read the saga regarding the 505 Gibbs and most everything on AH regarding the MRC.

Is everyone happy with their MRC rifle?
Would you buy gain?

Or would you take the money and buy a RSM in 375 or 416?

I own 3 Ruger M77 rifles with tang safety and love each one. Would not hesitate to buy another but can only find rifles with the 3 position safety.

Buy a .375 that you like and go with it. Rarely will you need more gun. If you get accustomed to a .375 you can hunt most of Africa with it with no problems.

Buy a .375 that you like and go with it. Rarely will you need more gun. If you get accustomed to a .375 you can hunt most of Africa with it with no problems.

I don't own a MRC rifle but most AH members that own one seem to like them. I do own two 404 Jeffery(s) and dearly love the caliber. I'd just as soon buy the MRC in 404 Jeffery since Rugers are available at any time while the MRC(s) are not. What is the price difference between the Ruger you'd be looking at and the MRC(s) that are available? Is having a 404 Jeffery worth the difference to you?

I have always loved and wanted a 404 Jeffery. They are not easy to come by as you stated. There is $800 difference in the MRC and the RSM rifles and in my opinion the 404 would be a no brainer. I simply wanted others opinions on the rifles as I have never held/owned a MRC or 404.

Assume this is one of the rifles produced right before they went out of business? I don't know if anyone has any experience with it yet. I know at least 2 members on here who had orders in for the .404 and never received them. They ended up cancelling the orders. I was considering ordering one as well.

Lots of guys really like MRC rifles if that helps. And to your point of only $800 difference, why not get the .404!

I have always loved and wanted a 404 Jeffery. They are not easy to come by as you stated. There is $800 difference in the MRC and the RSM rifles and in my opinion the 404 would be a no brainer. I simply wanted others opinions on the rifles as I have never held/owned a MRC or 404.

As noted in several of my posts I am an absolute Ruger fan. That being said if you can get the MRC in 404 .......do it. I came close to buying an MRC 404 early last year but I bought another Ruger #1 instead.

Thanks guys! Apparently it is one of the last rifles MRC made and there’s also a 416 available.
My dealer told me that MRC was “being sold” and would probably be back. Obviously warranty and issues and service is a concern.

Andrew, just an FYI, anyone who knows anything or works on Winchester Model 70s should be able to work on the MRC.
I’ve had mine in 375 H&H and it hasn’t failed me yet. Oops, using some factory PPU ammo, I did have FTF a couple of times. Not an ammo I would use on DG though. It is very accurate!

Andrew, just an FYI, anyone who knows anything or works on Winchester Model 70s should be able to work on the MRC.
I’ve had mine in 375 H&H and it hasn’t failed me yet. Oops, using some factory PPU ammo, I did have FTF a couple of times. Not an ammo I would use on DG though. It is very accurate!

That’s good to know! So I take it that you would buy it again?

It’s a beautiful rifle and I’m going to snag it up.

That’s good to know! So I take it that you would buy it again?

It’s a beautiful rifle and I’m going to snag it up.
I was in hopes of getting a 404 J myself in an MRC.

I understand that. Maybe you can find one!!
As far as I know this is the only one my dealer is receiving. Like i said he does have a MRC 416 Rigby... I’ll post pics when I get It.

Thanks guys! Apparently it is one of the last rifles MRC made and there’s also a 416 available.
My dealer told me that MRC was “being sold” and would probably be back. Obviously warranty and issues and service is a concern.

I'm going to look at an new in box MRC this weekend.

I'm assuming it will be unwarrantable and will point this out as I negotiate. Therefore, I will treat it as a used gun for which I will offer a reasonable amount, but sure not MSRP or close! If they accept I will buy, if not I will walk. It's also left handed so will be slow moving regardless. They might just be willing to move it fast for cash. :cool:

I hope you’re able to get it! Like you said, there several points that make buying more in your favor. I hope you’re able to pick it up.

I hope you’re able to get it! Like you said, there several points that make buying more in your favor. I hope you’re able to pick it up.
Thanks!

Me too as I've always wanted one. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum as far as caliber goes - so small I'm embarrassed to mention here. LOL!

Hahaha no shame in any caliber! I own 22 LR - 300. I’ve never owned a large bore rifle....
Please share pics!

Hahaha no shame in any caliber! I own 22 LR - 300. I’ve never owned a large bore rifle....
Please share pics!

.22 LR is an extremely honorable caliber!

But to come clean.... I'm looking at a , gulp, 6.5 Creedmoor.... :A Banana Sad:

:oops:

22 and 300. Hmmm- not too shabby! Definitely need (should have) a large bore then. I too would go with the MRC in 404- that combination leaves little wanting. The MRC action is mostly Win 70 design with a bit of Mauser thrown in. It retains the pre-FN Win 70 trigger and 3 position safety which IMO are big plusses. Such things as the Mauser type bolt release is nice but far from a critical feature to have. I wish MRC had retained the bolt anti-bind feature of the post-67/68 Win 70s but alas, can't have everything. :) If the MRC is good to go, can't imagine having to send it back for warranty work anyway- so whether or not MRC is in business doesn't seem to matter much, IMO.

.22 LR is an extremely honorable caliber!

But to come clean.... I'm looking at a , gulp, 6.5 Creedmoor.... :A Banana Sad:

:oops:
Nothing wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s a hot cartridge!

I agree with @Royal27 about treating the MRC like a used rifle due to lack of factory support.
Don't be overly eager and if you don't get the price you want...walk away.
There are lots of good choices out there (including, but not limited to Ruger) if the MRC deal falls through.
Keeping your eyes on the classifieds here on AH is a great start.

Another thing I'll mention is ammo availability and price if you don't reload.
Take a look at the price difference between 416RIGBY and 404J.
And don't sleep on the 375H&H as an option, ammo is everywhere and very reasonably priced.
It's an excellent step up to a mid-bore from the .30 calibers.
Call it the "gateway drug" to the big bores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you