Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
A friend is heading to Mozambique soon. His PH/Operator is Roche du Preez of Roche Safaris. They are hunting along the southwest boundary of the Niassa Reserve. Roche told him not to worry about getting a Mozambique visa beforehand and claims he can get one upon arrival. Operator says he has connections and it’s not a problem.

On my three trips to Mozambique, I got the visa through the Mozambique Embassy in Washington, DC beforehand. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get one upon arrival?

I’m pretty sure Moz requires US Citizens to obtain a visa in advance and that there is no option for obtaining one upon entry..

I had a situation where I couldn’t part with my passport due to work. When I asked for a short notice list of options from my agent, Mozambique was on the list, he said it could be issued on arrival (in 2018) so I wouldn’t have to give up my passport beforehand. I ended up going to a different country to hunt, so can’t confirm what I was told though. Why would your friend not want to get it in advance?

I’d be a little skeptical about securing one in Lichinga.

Prior to COVID you could get one at Maputo if you wanted to sit around for a hour or so for the issuing agent to be directed back to the desk.

I like the peace of mind of hiring a courier service for ~$150-200 to get the visa stateside.

Wikipedia says you can get one upon arrival now.

He’s leaving in a week so there’s no time to send away for one.

I have contacted few outfitters in mozambique asking same question, and the answer is positive. You can get visa on arrival. However, this depends from country where you live.

So, check mozambique govt pages, where are visa requirements.

Consider also that to book the flights, they will also check. In case visa is required you will not be able to get the plane tickets without visa.

In 2018 we got our's upon arrival in Tete, not a big deal at that time

He’s leaving in a week so there’s no time to send away for one.
was your friend able to get a visa at the entry point In Mozambique? I leave in less than 10 days. I submitted my application last wk but have not heard back and get no response from the embassy In Washington on the status. I guess I will still have to overnight my passport and supporting docs even after they approve my initial application. Not sure I will have enough time to get everything done before i am supposed to fly out.

My experience in international travel is following, dozens of countries:

Commercial Airline carrier will not allow a passanger to board the plane, if visa is required before boarding, and passanger is missing it.
So, if you board the plane, you can get visa on arrival. (check this with airline)

If embassy is not replying to emails, try calling by phone on some of contact numbers, just to feel safe.

@Scott CWO was your friend able to get his visa on arrival?

@Scott CWO was your friend able to get his visa on arrival?
He ended up delaying his trip to 2022. Trouble with gun permit as well possibly due to unrest. Outfitter having some issues and getting divorced. Poor communication which also led to these and visa issues. He booked the safari at the Denver Sportsman Show without asking my advice. Big mistake possibly.

Thanks....I spoke to my outfitter today and he said it would be no problem to get it on arrival. Has a client in camp now that did the same thing. Next time I will apply further in advance. Never had to get a Visa and the process takes more time than I thought.

Sc
A friend is heading to Mozambique soon. His PH/Operator is Roche du Preez of Roche Safaris. They are hunting along the southwest boundary of the Niassa Reserve. Roche told him not to worry about getting a Mozambique visa beforehand and claims he can get one upon arrival. Operator says he has connections and it’s not a problem.

On my three trips to Mozambique, I got the visa through the Mozambique Embassy in Washington, DC beforehand. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get one upon arrival?

Scott if anyone says I have connections so just come its not a problem...I would run a mile....especially in a non English speaking country like moz....where a mutual passed friend used to tell me it was not the easiest place to deal in, even compared to other countries...

Sc

Scott if anyone says I have connections so just come its not a problem...I would run a mile....especially in a non English speaking country like moz....where a mutual passed friend used to tell me it was not the easiest place to deal in, even compared to other countries...
Good advice! Yes, our mutual passed friend did quite well with the challenges but it wasn’t easy, that’s for sure.

Just returned from Mozambique last week. Visa was secured upon arrival in Tete. Approx $55 US. Took about 20 minutes per person

I was able to get my Visa upon arrival at the Beira airport. I think it was cheaper than getting it ahead of time. The Mozambique embassy in Washington DC never responded to the application I sent to them online.

He ended up delaying his trip to 2022. Trouble with gun permit as well possibly due to unrest. Outfitter having some issues and getting divorced. Poor communication which also led to these and visa issues. He booked the safari at the Denver Sportsman Show without asking my advice. Big mistake possibly.
Have hunted there twice (entered through Beira) and those issues were handled by the operator before my arrival. They checked my serial number, stamped my passport and wished me a good stay.

My entry and exit was at Tete airport. It's been a while but probably similar now. Use patience, smile a lot and just ask for help if needed. It helps if whomever is meeting you speaks/reads Portuguese. The VISA entry card is filled out upon arrival and some biometric stuff is done. Price for the VISA varies from about $50 to $85 depending on the person manning the VISA "office" on any particular day. Not a big deal really. I am pretty good with Spanish but Portuguese was very hard for me to understand so I needed some help in filling out the entry card. I had no issues there with the locals. Treat them as you would like to be treated- always a good policy in Africa. Whatever civil unrest they have there is between local political factions. Take several $5 and $10 dollar bills. I like Mozambique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg