Mothers and babies

307702826_772479467313366_6092544596945450630_n.jpg

I was bowhunting this morning and watched a mother deer and two yearlings/fawns get within 5 yards from my stand.

I could have taken any of them legally, but chose to let them pass.

I just didn't need or want to make the shot.

But, I wouldn't judge anyone who would have taken one.

The offspring could have survived just fine on their own.

Sometimes you have to through the rule of ' if you aren't willing to shoot "it" on the first day, don't shoot it on the last day ' out the preverbial window.

I am still seeing young does with single and twin offspring. The offspring still in full spots to slightly fading spots.

Unfortunately, sadly to say one of the set of particular twins I've been watching for several days was killed crossing the 4 lane highway.

Sometimes you have to through the rule of ' if you aren't willing to shoot "it" on the first day, don't shoot it on the last day ' out the preverbial window.

I am still seeing young does with single and twin offspring. The offspring still in full spots to slightly fading spots.

Unfortunately, sadly to say one of the set of particular twins I've been watching for several days was killed crossing the 4 lane highway.
Pair of fawns middle of the highway just down the road from our place. Driver had to have been flying.

094E47A1-43A9-4BA4-BBBE-44AD9EAD4513.jpeg
Group of elephant cows coming out of lake Kariba with their little ones.

Usually, the deer where I live rut during the last week of November.

Last year, the weather was milder than normal. I think there was a December and January rut.

Deer have about a 7 month gestation period.

The does bred in November should drop fawns early June. (Most)
December = early July (definitely some this year)
January = early August (also some this year. I've seen some 30 pounders walking around recently)

Apologies for hijacking the thread...

(Let's get back to the cuteness of mom's and their offspring. Forget my rant concerning my pet peeve of attributing human characteristics to animals)

The unwashed masses will never understand the love of animals that hunters, ranchers, and farmers have to animals, anyway...

Usually, the deer where I live rut during the last week of November.

Last year, the weather was milder than normal. I think there was a December and January rut.

Deer have about a 7 month gestation period.

The does bred in November should drop fawns early June. (Most)
December = early July (definitely some this year)
January = early August (also some this year. I've seen some 30 pounders walking around recently)

Apologies for hijacking the thread...

(Let's get back to the cuteness of mom's and their offspring. Forget my rant concerning my pet peeve of attributing human characteristics to animals)

The unwashed masses will never understand the love of animals that hunters, ranchers, and farmers have to animals, anyway...

Starting a new OP "Late Births, Fawns in spots" on this subject to avoid hijacking Mother and Babies OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeaganHerr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.