AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
DSC, NAPHA, SCI, Roland Ward Guild
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe
My question is what is the most expensive hunts worldwide?

A lot of my "non-hunting" buddies ask me that question quite often, but I'm not sure what is the correct answer. So I'm thinking of compiling a Top Ten list... Thinks that I want to consider is JUST the PRICE of the trophy - not the daily rates, guide fees etc. And the next thing is these species needs to be hunted in their "Natural Environment" if we need to consider the specie, and by this I mean the species can't be introduced like Oryx in Texas for example...

I would dearly appreciate your input on this matter!

Thanks

1. Black Rhino

On the top ten somewhere: Polar Bear

I was thinking a 100 pound Elephant and then (but it can't be done legally) Bengal Tiger like Jack O'Conner did 50 years ago. I can still remember his write up of sitting in the tree at night listening to the tiger moving below him!

1. Black Rhino

On the top ten somewhere: Polar Bear

+1 on Brickburn's list.

I don't remember which type of Markor, but one of the Markor's requires a presidential permit from Pakistan /Tajikistan or one of the stan's. I don't know if this is correct but I think I heard it would cost at least $100k for the hunt......not sure if the money is paid to the government or into a numbered Swiss account.

Argali sheep

I'd have to say a Big Horn Sheep... In USA or Mexico. If you draw, it's practically free... Otherwise it's $50k'ish in some cases. That's a lot of bread where I come from! Some people pay $25k+ for high fenced whitetails that go 200+"..... Doesn't really count.

Btw.... I'm only adding to the list. Not saying Big Horn is THE most expensive.... Just in the top 10 probably. Good topic!

other than the ones mentioned I'd like to add a few pricey ones to the bucket list: Mountain Nyala, Desert Big Horn, Marco Polo: How's that for breaking the bank. Lest we forget the beautiful Sable

Not sure if it is the most expensive, but one of the most, Markhor.

about 30 years ago, my family (about 60 folks) were having a fish fry.
My uncle, now deceased, shows up with aligator and a giant softshelled turtle. He caught the turtle on a trotline and shot the gator. Both were heavily protected back then. just not protected from my uncle.
The fines would have been about $70K for that.
Potentially, that would have been an expensive hunting trip.

Argali sheep

Altai Argali to be specific 65K. My new #1 dream animal (That is likely to remain forever a dream) Its not #1 most expensive but it is sure way up there.

I'd have to say a Big Horn Sheep... In USA or Mexico. If you draw, it's practically free... Otherwise it's $50k'ish in some cases. That's a lot of bread where I come from! Some people pay $25k+ for high fenced whitetails that go 200+"..... Doesn't really count.

Rocky Mountain Bighorn in Alberta 25K, some areas boast 100% success for many years, others 50% so in other words 50K on average to kill one (2 hunts). Desert Bighorns can be 50K for a guaranteed tag. Stone sheep are 40-45K and 50-90% successful. The only cheap sheep are resident over the counter tags, Bighorn in AB, Bighorn and Stone in BC, Dall and Stone in the Yukon.

Success has to be factored in for the most expensive hunt as well IMO. A 10K hunt that has a 10% success rate is a 100K animal.

Utah governors tag they go to auction to the highest bidder elk seem to go at 150k plus the last few years and I think the mule deer went for over 200k last year. It allowes you to hunt any open unit in the state.

Are we talking trophy fees or all up hunt costs. ?

I'm pretty sure the most expensive hunts aren't advertised and don't need to.

What about the most expensive camps? Who runs these camps the Saudi sheiks and royalty from around the world hunt out of? Is their an outfitter to the rich and famous that specializes in ultra lux camps and hunting.

Utah governors tag they go to auction to the highest bidder elk seem to go at 150k plus the last few years and I think the mule deer went for over 200k last year. It allowes you to hunt any open unit in the state.

Well if we are going there I believe the highest the Alberta governors Bighorn tag went for was 1.2 Million. But that is not really representative since you can hunt as a resident for $50 and non-resident $25000 just not in November like the Governors tag.

about 30 years ago, my family (about 60 folks) were having a fish fry.
My uncle, now deceased, shows up with aligator and a giant softshelled turtle. He caught the turtle on a trotline and shot the gator. Both were heavily protected back then. just not protected from my uncle.
The fines would have been about $70K for that.
Potentially, that would have been an expensive hunting trip.

Well, that would do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some hunts just cost more than others and that's the way it is , however , the expensive ones are the ones where you don't get what you pay for , regardless of the price......

Some hunts just cost more than others and that's the way it is , however , the expensive ones are the ones where you don't get what you pay for , regardless of the price......

:thumb:

A Stone Sheep in northern BC is pushing 35k in a few areas now. Getting pretty pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg