Montana Rifle Company Returning in 2023?

Cool! Did they say anything about making their African or PH rifles again?
I spoke with one of the owners at length at the SCI 2023 convention. He said that they currently offer short action calibers, with long action (30-06 size) coming later this year (2023). Magnum actions (300WM) will be next he said it would be unlikely that they would have them ready by SCI 2024. He's thinking sometime in summer/fall 2024 for the magnum action, the PH action (458LOTT) will follow that.

I got the feeling from them that they have learned considerably from the mistakes of the past. They much prefer to stay in their realm and only make additions at the speed they want. There are no more cast actions, everything is forged and CNC milled and as @meigsbucks said, with an integral Picatinny rail. Accuracy from their current prototypes are better than 0.5 MOA in the short action calibers.

In short, it's gonna be a little bit before we see a full length PH action from MRC.

Here are some pics of the actions. They did say they were still working on a few things. The recoil lug is a separate piece also, it is machined nicely to fit bottom of action.

715F9F96-8EE4-4441-BF36-F4C69414DF65.jpeg
73CDA24C-70B5-4081-87F5-50E96A7504CB.jpeg
CB9A9ED4-0A21-4D7A-A157-4C2312A4803B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about pic rail. I asked about it. It is machined lower into action to keep height down, if I explained it properly. They end up using the pic rail to hold it while machining he said. I also asked when a 9.3x62 would be available. He said the more people email them about it the more likely they are to chamber them. I requested the same thing from Kimber in the Caprivi rifle. His comment was the same!

I agree about pic rail. I asked about it. It is machined lower into action to keep height down, if I explained it properly. They end up using the pic rail to hold it while machining he said. I also asked when a 9.3x62 would be available. He said the more people email them about it the more likely they are to chamber them. I requested the same thing from Kimber in the Caprivi rifle. His comment was the same!
Is Kimber planning on adding any chamberings to the Caprivi? Right now, they only have the 375 H&H.

I asked about it. He said they were ramping up to start production on them again. I told him I loved my 375 and would love to have a 9.3x62 in a rifle set up similarly to the caprivi, maybe a little lighter, heavier than the classic model and have the sights and barrel band.

Is Kimber planning on adding any chamberings to the Caprivi? Right now, they only have the 375 H&H.
Funny enough...I also spoke with them about this very subject at SCI 2023. The answer is no.

The Caprivi and Talkeetna will only be offered in 375H&H and even then, in limited runs as they see fit. I asked specifically about a 458LOTT, and was disappointed. Ahhh well. Back to my Blasers...:ROFLMAO:

They did say that going to the shows is a way for them to gather information on what hunters want and that this type of input can make a difference in production. You would think at SCI they would have gotten a number of such requests.

That’s good news for anyone that wants what I would call a semi-custom rifle. I really like mine in .416 Rigby. It is a beefy rifle and very accurate.
Please could you post some pictures HA?

Agreed. Had an 80s mohawk flashback when I saw it.
I just don’t understand why they would go to the expense of creating an action with one. I’ve never heard anybody complain about add on rails that are attached via screws. For people who want one, it can be installed in minutes and will hold zero just as well as an integral rail.

Having some kind of integral base would be a nice addition on a safari rifle, Picatinny is a bit too much IMO. If they machined dovetails with a stop like Sako or the CZ550, I think it would look pretty good. And it eliminates the need for bases between the rings and action.

Having some kind of integral base would be a nice addition on a safari rifle, Picatinny is a bit too much IMO. If they machined dovetails with a stop like Sako or the CZ550, I think it would look pretty good. And it eliminates the need for bases between the rings and action.
My MRC does have integral base like the CZ but I wanted a red dot on mine. That is if I remember correctly. I haven’t had it out of the safe in a while. Ammunition is too expensive so I’m hoarding what lit bit I have.

Or machined Talley bases

My MRC does have integral base like the CZ but I wanted a red dot on mine. That is if I remember correctly. I haven’t had it out of the safe in a while. Ammunition is too expensive so I’m hoarding what lit bit I have.
The thing about the "new" MRC is that they are not locked into what they have done in the past...nothing. They are in a unique position of being a company with such a dedicated fan base, but still went out of business a few years ago. Their team is committed to a quality product and my interpretation of their philosophy is to under promise and over deliver. Their answers were honest and to the point, with no measure to tolerance for mucking about. IMO it looks like MRC has a bright future ahead. I wish them all the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.