Minimum fps for plains game

I am constantly amazed at how quickly game animals can react.
I had a Vallie spin on the spot when rifle hunting.
What would have been a perfect broadside heart shot turned into a quartering away chest splitting mess.
The site picture when I pulled the trigger was broadside. The after effect when I walked up showed that the animal spun on an axis between its front feet and was leaving when the bullet impacted.
It was educational.

I was not questioning the assertion. Just wanted to see some of your experiences. I hoped you might have some video.

I don't have any personal footage of whitetails...... A while back, I took up the notion of videoing my own hunts and it lasted for about 2 minutes.... Some celebrity hunter once said hunting for the video camera is like hunting with a ball and chain, and after trying, I can see what he meant. It's all I can do personally to get a good shot with the bare minimum gear that I haul into the field let alone adding all of the video equipment. My hat is off to any hunter who videos their own hunts. It is a lot of work.

I hear you on the ball and chain concept.

One thing I have noticed with my set up is a smaller diameter arrow penetrates better, was shooting 2514 alum, 2219 alum ,Last few years 20/20 alum .the 20/20 out penetrates all others . all closes to same weight . Forrest

thanks again everyone for their input.this will be my first trip to south africa for plains game.after watching way to many hours of bow hunting african animals on you tube .the reason for original post was that I noticed most shots on blue wildabeast, gemsbuk,zebra and kudu placed straight up leg and lower one third of body which would be top of heart and double lung shot very few past thews on these animals and most arrows probably half penetration.seems like most all animals dropped after shot on slow motion with exception kudu.there is a neat video on buck and boar lodge in south carolina on their website on shooting a large boar pig in shield with 70 pound bow moderate weight arrow.going to have to play with different set ups with foc (19%). wasnt sure if 220 to 240 fps was to slow at twenty yards.

I also watch a lot of Utube videos and one thing I notice is that the shots with out good penetration are almost always with a mechanical broadhead.

I also watch a lot of Utube videos and one thing I notice is that the shots with out good penetration are almost always with a mechanical broadhead.

Agreed. I watch a lot of videos of bow hunting Africa on YouTube and the vast majority of shots with poor penetration are with mechanical broad heads.

This is 269fps at 36 yards!

It looks to me like that shot was low anyway. Still, he got moving.

It looks to me like that shot was low anyway. Still, he got moving.
We actually recovered it. I agree in the video it does look low but it was actually perfect heart height. The heart just moved 18"

Don't worry about speed, you need a heavy arrow, a sharp broadhead and a good shot placement.

My trad bow send a 500 grains arrow at an impresive 160 fps :p...and it kills

speed is overrated :whistle:

Here's the slo mo version of the warthog jumping the string. The shot would have been perfect but goes to show just how fast they are!

I hate to be the person who gives the bad news, but that show was nowhere near perfect. I overlaid the video frames and could see that the camera did not move, but the warthog did. Keeping the arrow in the last visible spot with the warthog behind it, I matched it up to the warthog not having moved and it would have hit him in the front left elbow, completely outside his body.

They are indeed fast, but I have to say, that was not a perfect shot. If that pig didn't move an inch, you would have completely missed him.
I took freeze caps of the screen and put them in photoshop and overlayed them. When I did an A/B, I could see I was lined up perfectly. I drew a circle around the arrow and went back to the original warthog frame and you were low and just behind his leg. Sorry for the crudity of the images, but it gets the spots across.
upload_2017-3-21_15-14-4.jpeg

upload_2017-3-21_15-14-34.jpeg

The front end on the pig never dropped but in fact is several inches higher in your first picture. Draw a line straight across from where the arrow actually hit and it even catches the body just rear of the elbow.....drop the front end to where the pig was before the shot and you are well into the vitals. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion the arrow would have hit that low at the front. Run a straight edge across and you'll see how far off you are and now drop the front end of the pig down to where he was before the shot and you are even further off.

Last edited:
Sorry, but when I cut the images, somehow they didn't line up perfectly on the images I posted. Here are screen caps of a post it on my screen running full screen.
Warthog at 9 seconds, line drawn pointing towards last frame of arrow with the warthog body behind the arrow:
upload_2017-3-21_15-32-54.jpeg

And at 7 seconds with the same post it in the same place.
upload_2017-3-21_15-34-0.jpeg

You can see it pretty clearly if you pause it at 9 seconds and mark the spot on your screen then scroll back a few seconds. That arrow was low when it got to the yardage that the pig was at.

The camera may have easily moved that much as it was being handheld so that is an anything but reliable way to determine where the arrow would have hit. Take and run a straight edge across from where arrow enters and you'll see it's still on the body. Now drop the front end to where it was pre shot and as I say, you are well into the vitals. I get how you came to the conclusion but your methodology relies on a perfectly stable camera and it wasn't. Just look where the vegetation behind the pig is in relation to its back and it's clear the camera moved.

Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse or argue over a dead pig. I am just glad you recovered him. And regardless of anybody's opinion of whether the arrow would have hit him or not or what color that dress was on the Internet a while back, it is obvious that the warthog has got some great reflexes.

Indeed they are scary fast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross