Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
I just found this deal on Frankonia.de and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle. If you do, pleas share. I am considering ordering one for drive hunts since I've heard great things about merkel rifles
Screenshot_20160805-214651.png

Really good rifle which hasn't really caught on. The semi-auto fans in this country (where most semi-autos are sold) have been captivated by the AR platform. The Merkel's market outside the US is very limited because it is a semi-auto. It is a superb rifle and would be excelellent for knocking over boar in a drive hunt. The battue style rear sight is also very much a Euro-design with little following here, though I am told it is very quick on running game. I can speak to the red-dot style reflex sight and it will be perfect on the hunt you describe. And of course, the 30-06 with a 180 gr bullet is ideal for rolling a big Keiler. Bottom line, if you live in a country like Germany where semiautos are legal but are limited in number of rounds in the magazine, this is one heck of a deal.

Great rifles. I had a very close look at one shortly after they came out but did not have the money available at that time. Shooting/hunting reports, please.

Awesome! I figured it was a deal too good to pass up, but figured I'd ask. The wife isnt too pleased, buy mine is on the way :)
Outstanding! Want to read about it in action. Hunted in Germany a lot from late 1974 thru 79 while stationed there. What a wonderful experience.

Merkel SR1 is a nice rifle and that is a great price. I just moved back to the states after 5 years in Germany, keep checking the Frankonia page they occasionally have smoking deals on closeouts. I have shot the SR1 several times and it is a nice rifle, congrats on your purchase. I am assuming it comes with a 2 round magazine for hunting?

Merkel SR1 is a nice rifle and that is a great price. I just moved back to the states after 5 years in Germany, keep checking the Frankonia page they occasionally have smoking deals on closeouts. I have shot the SR1 several times and it is a nice rifle, congrats on your purchase. I am assuming it comes with a 2 round magazine for hunting?
It does come with a 2 round mag. I still have a couple of years here, so I plan to make the most of it. Just dropped my first Reh the other night. Not a huge trophy, but, being my first, I'm very pleased with it. Will be happy to have the SR1 for drive hunts shortly

20160805_011411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been on any drive hunts yet? Maybe I had bad luck but in over 30 drive hunts I fired exactly 3 shots (on the same hunt) They are loads of fun and are great to meet and hang out with other hunters. Waidmansheil on your Reh

Have you been on any drive hunts yet? Maybe I had bad luck but in over 30 drive hunts I fired exactly 3 shots (on the same hunt) They are loads of fun and are great to meet and hang out with other hunters. Waidmansheil on your Reh
Waidmannsdank! I haven't been on a drive hunt yet but i've been told that my drilling won't be ideal for them. I just got my Jagdschein in April so hunting here is all new to me

Wiadmansheil on your Jagdshein. Are you mil/Gov/Ctr? I just left in April, I miss the hunting, it's nice you can hunt almost year round. I like the drillings, I brought several back with me. I hope you have better luck on the drive hunts, I spent 99% of my time smoking cigars. Not that I didn't enjoy being the woods smoking cigars! If you have the time get out to CZ and Poland for some great hunting. Cheaper and nicer than Germany. If you are DOD affiliated sign up for the Grafenwhoer IIA/IIIB Red Stag hunts

Waidmannsdank! I am military stationed in Wiesbaden but am TDY to Vilseck now. I figure with this rifle, even if i never use it on a drive hunt, the price is worth just keeping it as a safe queen. I love my drilling too. It is a tack driver. Put a 200 meter shot on that reh, no problem. As for the graf hunts, i heard they can get pretty pricey. If you dont mind me asking, what are typical trophy fees for a 2a or 3b? I've got a local reh hunt set up with Wild Jaeger next weekend. And yes, ain't nothing wrong with smoking cigars in the woods :)

Everyone panics about Graf cause they look at the IA prices for the II/IIA guided hunts and yes they can get procey. IIIB is max 300 Euro. I took a IIB in 2014 and it cost me around 400-500 Euro, it was a nice one 3.5KGs or so. They do the hunts every year October right after the rut. Try to get on the drive hunts for Hohenfels, pretty decent chance of getting a nice Rot Hirsch as well. What caliber is your drilling? I have a couple, all 7x65R or 7x57R

Love reading your comments about hunting in Germany. Back in the late seventies when I was a young LT over there, the old Status of Forces Agreement actually allocated a certain percentage of game in state reviers to allied hunters. In those days, you had something like 5 roe on license for a nominal guide fee and no trophy fee. Stags and gams were allocated by drawings. I took two IIB's and a IIIB while there - again only a nominal guide fee.

I attended drive hunts with German friends. In Frankonia, most were small game, but two or three a year had good opportunities for wild boar. A drilling was the perfect weapon for those hunts. I assume you must have the opportunity to attend big game only drive hunts where the Merkel would be appropriate? And waimansheil on that first reh! My collection still has a place of honor in my trophy room.

Can't get a better IIIB - and that II is a wonderful trophy as well.

Beautiful stags. I definitely want to hunt stag while in Europe, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck whether that be in Germany or traveling.

For larger Stags Poland, Hungary or CZ. For IIIB you can't beat Graf or Hohenfels.

Everyone panics about Graf cause they look at the IA prices for the II/IIA guided hunts and yes they can get procey. IIIB is max 300 Euro. I took a IIB in 2014 and it cost me around 400-500 Euro, it was a nice one 3.5KGs or so. They do the hunts every year October right after the rut. Try to get on the drive hunts for Hohenfels, pretty decent chance of getting a nice Rot Hirsch as well. What caliber is your drilling? I have a couple, all 7x65R or 7x57R

I just saw your question about the drilling. Mine's a Suhl Fortuna in 7x57r and 16 ga with Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 glass. Definitely love it. Especially the set trigger. It makes a world of difference when it comes to a smooth shot.
As for the original post, I guess the joke is on me. Turns out the German courts interpreted the current law to mean that semi automatic rifles don't have a sporting purpose and it is illegal for Jagdschein holders to have them. In turn, the firearms retailers aren't selling them right now. I was supposed to pick up my SR1 from Frankonia today when they broke the news to me. Supposedly, there is a fix in the works which is supposed to be ratified in October, however the big question mark is whether Frankonia will hold the rifle for me until then. I contacted them to see, but am waiting on an answer.

One of mine is also a Suhl in 7x57R twith a fixed power 6x a Zeiss scope. Looks like I left just before the silliness started. Punishing hunters because of terrorists actions. Makes sense. Sorry to hear about the Merkel, man it was a hell of a deal. Hopefully they will hold it, not like they can sell it to someone else.

It's a strange feeling having to adjust to the political climate de joir. It is what it is though. I'm a guest here and must abide. Semper gumby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertbuisk

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross