Mauser -Werke model 66 3 barrel set

A question to Mauser 66 rifle owners and/or experts:
-how is the front sight mounted in its base, legthwise or crosswise?

I am asking on behalf of a friend who lost front sight and tunnel after a fall in the forest.
The sight base oh his "Stutzen" (full stock) has a lengthwise slot, while the sights sold by Messrs. Brosch, (distributor of spare parts of Mauser old models) have a crosswise dovetail.
An exploded view on Numrich Gun Parts site clearly show lengthwise mounted sight but, to add a touch of mistery, the spare parts view included in the Mauser 66 owner's handbook do not show the front sight, neither the muzzle area.

Thanks in avance to the colleagues.

yep, though the 375 works good with the scope set at about 3power as it pulls a lot of light in.Mate got whacked by it though as he climbed the stock. I just like using it with the scope off as it handles fast and is short. On the front sight issue mine have the older banded type, but the newer rifles like the 66s or 66sm use a Williams front sight.

Has anyone any idea on this? Ran across it today at gunshop.
Mauser Werke model 66

Once considered as luxury rifle at least in my place. They were quality product, that never reached full popularity and that (in my opinion) lead to temporary diminishing of the brand from market, probably due to this lack of overall popularity and this was probably due to cost of high quality product.

Arguably model 66 can be viewed as ancestor of modern Blaser rifles.
This was Walther Gehmann patent, purchased by Mauser factory around 1965 and started production in 66. (I wonder why they did not stick to 98 design?)
This was basically a last notable commercial rifle by Mauser, till after their full revival as a part of group balser-sauer-mauser.

Model 66 Has telescopic bolt, and is modular gun with exchangeable barrels.
Bolt face must match the caliber family
There were four sizes of bolt face.
12.2 mm bolt head (from 5.6x57, up to 9.3x62 including also 243 win, 270 win,. 7 x64, and 6.5x57)
12.65 mm bolt head, for 9.3x64
13.1 mm bolt head for 6.5x68 and 8x68
13.58 mm bolt head 7 rem mag, 375 HH, 458 win mag, 300 win mag.

Allegedly, it was one of favorite rifles of Marshall Tito.
Famous photo of him holding Mauser 66 with one of his trophy bears from Bosnia. (photo from internet)
tito.jpg

Hi Markinnz,

As I said, that great Zeiss Diatal 4x32 (I bought one new and still have in use it since 1972, mine without rail) would be great in your 375, covering the need for a scope in a rifle like it and as a bonus, lowering the total weight.
That Diavari 2,5-10x52 is one of the very few made with this configuration, 2,5-10x, in the last era of the Zeiss non centered reticles. Perfect for the 30-06 in my opinion.
In spite these scopes are not totally sealed, with some extra care can be used successfully. More so with the claw mounts they have.
By the way I have also a Hensoldt Diasta 4x32, the same as the Zeiss Diatal but with a steel tube and somewhat older in the other 7x57 rifle. I have used both rifles-scopes in some wet weather in Patagonia taken care to not go from a cold place to a warm one, like going from the outside below cero temperature to inside a warm cabin or house. No problem with internal fogging. Doing the contrary, can be a problem even in a modern scope...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Mark B.

Nice M66 set!!!! The price is, to me, a little high but not too much...The cartridges combination is a very good one in my opinion!!

Good luck

CF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.