Mauser M98 vs. Dakota 76 vs Custom build

What would be your pick? Please comment below :)

• Total voters
The Dakota is a fine rifle that is basically a refined Model 70 that is 'semi-custom' The Traveller model sold for much more than $6000 when new.

I own Dakota, Winchester Model 70s, and custom Mausers. When I wanted a heavy rifle I chose the Granite Mountain M98 custom built. It is a .404J and perfect for my needs.

You have three good choices and you will not go wrong whichever you choose.

I like the Vassler ,and as you could see the action is a modern solid left wall although I have no problem with military conversions up to 375h&h , the Dakota is nice and will most likely shoot well but its a model 70 on steroids and the look does nothing for me unlike the 98 mauser

6B06A7DA-3E0C-48CC-9AA3-3B1B31D4F5D5_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be joking. An M98, M70 and Dakota takedown (w/ 2 barrels) for 1/2 price. It's a tad better than a Blaser!!! LOL No competition. Dakota. I own one (beautiful, flawless, and a shooter in stainless, the latter two reasons why I got it.) 300 WM. I like M98s and M70s and have several of them both, but a Dakota is something to behold (esp. a takedown!) Is it sold already? lol

Thanks for all the input guys!

Funny how the Dakota got thrown into the mix as a joker and by pure chance, as I had never seen or heard of them until one popped up for sale within a few hours of travel from me.

Status is that I have decided on the Dakota. Seller and I have already negotiated the price and I'm in the process of getting the license and import permit.

And yes, she for sure looks like a shooter.
Seller still has the sight in target from the factory, can't really ask for more than that.
300.jpg
375.jpg

Nygaard

I don't think you will regret your decision. Dakota made fine rifles.

Excellent choice! I’m a bit jealous - always wanted a traveler like that

Hi AH forum!

I have been hunting in Denmark, Sweden and Germany for the past 20 years, mostly using 243, 270 and 308 win.
Recently I bought a Winchester M70 Safari Express 375 H&H for driven boar and the occasional moose.

I have realized that the M70 does not tingle the right places, and I have started looking at some finer examples in the same caliber.
Also I am hoping to visit Africa some time in the future, somehow that also adds on to the list of excuses to upgrade my perfectly fine M70.

Living in Denmark where big bore rifles is not exactly off the shelf items, it narrows the selection down quite a bit,
but I have found reasonable easy access to below options.

First option is a Mauser 98 Magnum Expert, readily available at the local dealer for $7800 USD
If going this route, I would probably replace my current Blaser R8 with another Mauser 98 in 7x64 to fill that gap.
View attachment 485092

Second option is a Mauser M98 custom build by German Waffen Velser. Price is around $6300 USD as pictured.
Velser are using old M98 actions, usually DWM, Steyr or FN, Recknagel saftey & trigger together with Lothar Walther barrels.
Alternatively, this could even be based on my existing M70.
As with the first choice, I would likely add a clone Velser in 7x64 down the road.
View attachment 485083

Third option is a Dakota 76 Safari Traveler in 300 H&H + 375 H&H I have just came across on the secondhand market.
The rifle is from 2007, just before Remington got involved from what I have read here on AH. Seller is asking $6000 USD without optics.
View attachment 485084
View attachment 485086

What would be your pick for driven moose/boar + occasional safari and why?

The Mausers are fairly "common" in my area, and i think I could not really go wrong with either.
The Dakota is completely new to me, and I have never seen or handled one. Somehow though it seems very compelling...
Can it compare to the two Mauser options, or should I just knock it out of my head?

Best regards,
Christian

Its a good poll. I can't keep anything brief but I would say there are other options and variables to consider.

I would not buy a brand new Mauser 98 express from the manufacturer because I think they are overpriced. For the same money or slightly less, from the same factory, a Rigby Mauser 98 has a better aesthetic and will hold its value better.

Alternative 2, a very high quality vintage British rifle built on a mauser 98 from a known maker. These are under 10,000 EU/USD and can be excellent.

Alternative 3, a dakota traveller. The two barrel traveler needs the same belted magnum cartridge to be compatible with the bolt face so the best option is a 375HH / 458 Lott. Alternative options would be the 275HH or 300HH for a small bore that is also compatible. For this rifle, you're looking at similar money as option 1 but Dakota is out of business. So you're either buying a vintage gun after a long search or you're ordering a new ParkWest which would cost quite a bit more than either option 1 or 2.

All are good guns. Can't go wrong with any of them!

To the OP, regarding the specific used guns you referenced, the Dakota Traveler is a superior gun as to value and utility at a very low price.

Half a year later, quite a few permit applications and a trip to Norway, the Dakota has finally arrived!

The gentleman who had it for sale, had imported it to Norway himself as there are no retailers here in Scandinavia. He had planned on taking it to Africa for buffalo and plains game, but sadly never got the chance after acquiring the rifle. It did get used though, and should have its fair share of moose.

Nevertheless here she is, I'm hoping to bring it to Africa some day, but meanwhile it will be roe deer, fallow, red deer, boar and moose on it's to do list :giggle:

DSC05080.jpg
DSC05081.jpg
DSC05082.jpg
DSC05084.jpg
DSC05085.jpg
DSC05086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous rifle in a very handy take down format! Well done!

What were the calibers again?

that you enjoy it as it deserves

Last edited:
I have only owned one Dakota. A .358 Win. that I sold back to the original owner when he asked. What a beautiful action. I shoot Winchester's because I can't afford Dakota's. Those Empire Rifles are absolutely wonderful looking in the magazines and I wish I could own one. Is the Mauser action they use made by Granite Mountain Arms? By the Empire Rifle.

I have only owned one Dakota. A .358 Win. that I sold back to the original owner when he asked. What a beautiful action. I shoot Winchester's because I can't afford Dakota's. Those Empire Rifles are absolutely wonderful looking in the magazines and I wish I could own one. Is the Mauser action they use made by Granite Mountain Arms? By the Empire Rifle.
I believe Empire had their own proprietary action but they also made A LOT of rifles on the GMA actions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinaabu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.