Mauser M98 Magnum VS Dakota Model 76 African

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Surprise surprise I'm still looking at big bore rifles even though I already have a 375H&H and a 458 Lott.

The 2 rifles I have been looking at the most is the Mauser M98 Magnum in 450 Rigby and the Dakota 76 African in 458 Lott ( just because 1 Lott is better than 2 right?)

I have zero experience with either of these rifles but for some reason both are more appealing to me than other options/brands currently on the market. So far I am leaning more towards the Mauser for a few reasons- I already have a 458 Lott, I just like the way the Mauser looks, heavily built I really like heavy rifles, I like the idea of the plasma nitriding, bigger magazine capacity compared to most other options on the market and I think they are really reasonably priced.

I know it would be hard to go wrong with either choice but what would you go with and why? I'd love to hear from some members that have real world experience with these rifles.

Surprise surprise I'm still looking at big bore rifles even though I already have a 375H&H and a 458 Lott.

There’s no cure for that mate...

G`Day
I would definitely go for the Mauser. Why..? Admit I haven`t seen too many Dakota rifles, but the Mauser is way up there among the premium makes. Nothing wrong said about the Dakota but the Mausers I`ve seen have been very good and I`m picky to say the least. Its got the features you would expect from a high end rifle including premium materials only and 1 st class assembly. The ones I`ve seen where made with clearly selected very densely and straight grained ruglans regia walnut maybe 300 to 400 years old. Now that`s rare and expensive stock blanks and will be extremely durable and will last a day or two in the bush..or more like, decades of hard hunting and will only get better by the years. I would be very surprised to learn that they are equal in that respect. And the Magnum Mauser looks just darn great doesn`t it. Personally I`m a Rigby guy mainly because of some minor Rigby only fine details, but I`m sure I would be almost as happy with the Magnum Mauser. Its a good one.

A few observations/thoughts

.450 Rigby
- Proprietary cartridge - therefore, likely to die off it seems
- reloading data scarce (but developable from .450 Dakota or .460 Wby)
- Factory ammo scarce and expensive
- Properly stamped brass scarce
- Very flexible for a reloader
- Very effective cartridge
- Must be trained with in order to prevent short-stroking bolt under pressure due to long cartridge

.458 Lott
- Much more common/ammo available
- Can use .458 Win Mag in a pinch
- Wholly adequate cartridge
- Factory ammo easier to find
- A 2nd Lott means you already have dies, brass, ammo

Any rifle YOU want is OK to buy - no wrong answers here, just trade-offs.

I love Mausers. The Dakota is basically a Mauser, also. Pretty much that makes it an issue of which cartridge strikes your fancy.

A few observations/thoughts

.450 Rigby
- Proprietary cartridge - therefore, likely to die off it seems
- reloading data scarce (but developable from .450 Dakota or .460 Wby)
- Factory ammo scarce and expensive
- Properly stamped brass scarce
- Very flexible for a reloader
- Very effective cartridge
- Must be trained with in order to prevent short-stroking bolt under pressure due to long cartridge

.458 Lott
- Much more common/ammo available
- Can use .458 Win Mag in a pinch
- Wholly adequate cartridge
- Factory ammo easier to find
- A 2nd Lott means you already have dies, brass, ammo

Any rifle YOU want is OK to buy - no wrong answers here, just trade-offs.

I love Mausers. The Dakota is basically a Mauser, also. Pretty much that makes it an issue of which cartridge strikes your fancy.
450 Rigby is a proprietary cartridge? Is it really? I wasn't aware of that. Not that it matters as I would hand load for the 450 but still an interesting bit of info.

Do you mean a brand new Mauser built since Blaser bought them or an older one? I believe the ones built before Blaser bought them weee made with Prechtl actions, which are top of the line.

Do you mean a brand new Mauser built since Blaser bought them or an older one? I believe the ones built before Blaser bought them weee made with Prechtl actions, which are top of the line.
Brand new Mauser

I re-read (for the 5th time I think) African Dangerous Game Cartridges before I wrote my observations, just to make sure I was sending out valid thoughts. My copy is dated 2010. The author was kind of bummed out that Rigby refuses to release the cartridge.

I have a similar issue with .495 A-Square - love the cartridge and have had one before, but now that A-Square went tits-up, have to insure I have properly headstamped brass for use in Africa or it is pointless to build the rifle.

Another vote here for the Mauser M98 Magnum. I recently purchased the Rigby Big Game chambered in 416 Rigby with the Mauser M98 Magnum action and it is superb. Just be aware that the bolt is longer than other bolt rifles, such as a Model 70, so it takes a little getting used to.

I re-read (for the 5th time I think) African Dangerous Game Cartridges before I wrote my observations, just to make sure I was sending out valid thoughts. My copy is dated 2010. The author was kind of bummed out that Rigby refuses to release the cartridge.

I have a similar issue with .495 A-Square - love the cartridge and have had one before, but now that A-Square went tits-up, have to insure I have properly headstamped brass for use in Africa or it is pointless to build the rifle.

Hardly a proprietary cartridge when it's chambered in rifles built by others than rigby......

Spike -

I clearly indicated my source of information - rather than bust my balls about it, why don't you constructively add to the conversation by indicating the non-Rigby manufacturers? Then we all learn - which I thought was the point of the boards here...

Aussie - sorry - apparently my info was dated - there is someone else now manufacturing rifles in the Rigby cartridge.

Spike -

I clearly indicated my source of information - rather than bust my balls about it, why don't you constructively add to the conversation by indicating the non-Rigby manufacturers? Then we all learn - which I thought was the point of the boards here...

Aussie - sorry - apparently my info was dated - there is someone else now manufacturing rifles in the Rigby cartridge.

Didn't know saying it's not or ever has been a proprietary cartridge was busting someones balls....and I have added plenty of constructive and probably not so constructive stuff on AH...so I suggest drop the attitude... don't need lecturing thanks ..heym...Sako...Kilimanjaro ...cz before ceasing manufacture of the 550.....Dakota...and of course rigby themselves.....

Spike -

I heard/read your comments as Catty/snide -

"Hardly a proprietary cartridge when it's chambered in rifles built by others than rigby....."

How about this - "USMA84DAB - I have seen this cartridge carried by the ABC Company, and the XYZ company. The LMN company makes rifles now chambered in the cartridge and they will be manufacturing ammo as of 2021. It was apparently released for general use by Rigby in 2012." This would have politely let me know - and the other readers - that you had more recent data. Service to all provided. Yet, even now, you have failed to provide facts to support your stance.

"Suggest drop the attitude" -

or what - you'll report me?! Punch me?!

Or are you able to "bravely" smart off from the safety of your computer miles away from face to face interaction?

I disagree - you did need notification that your comment was brash as I received it. You have enhanced your curt online presence by assuming you are able to order me to "drop the attitude"

Done and moving on...

Spike -

I heard/read your comments as Catty/snide -

"Hardly a proprietary cartridge when it's chambered in rifles built by others than rigby....."

How about this - "USMA84DAB - I have seen this cartridge carried by the ABC Company, and the XYZ company. The LMN company makes rifles now chambered in the cartridge and they will be manufacturing ammo as of 2021. It was apparently released for general use by Rigby in 2012." This would have politely let me know - and the other readers - that you had more recent data. Service to all provided. Yet, even now, you have failed to provide facts to support your stance.

"Suggest drop the attitude" -

or what - you'll report me?! Punch me?!

Or are you able to "bravely" smart off from the safety of your computer miles away from face to face interaction?

I disagree - you did need notification that your comment was brash as I received it. You have enhanced your curt online presence by assuming you are able to order me to "drop the attitude"

Done and moving on...

Yeah feeling is mutual.... My info is there...hardly hiding...take my comment however you wish.....but you are arrogantly mistaken in your presumption.... It doesn't take too much effort to look online and see what companies make rifles in this calibre.... And suggest is hardly an order.....:D Beers:

The 2 rifles I have been looking at the most is the Mauser M98 Magnum in 450 Rigby and the Dakota 76 African in 458 Lott ( just because 1 Lott is better than 2 right?)

I have zero experience with either of these rifles but for some reason both are more appealing to me than other options/brands currently on the market. So far I am leaning more towards the Mauser for a few reasons- I already have a 458 Lott, I just like the way the Mauser looks, heavily built I really like heavy rifles, I like the idea of the plasma nitriding, bigger magazine capacity compared to most other options on the market and I think they are really reasonably priced.

I know it would be hard to go wrong with either choice but what would you go with and why? I'd love to hear from some members that have real world experience with these rifles.

A mauser m98 magnum, or better yet a Rigby for the same money, is miles better than a Dakota 76 African. While Dakotas are beautiful and I have and do own them, they are quirky, have occasional defects, and are not as durable. I also buy Dakotas at 75% off when I buy them...so I value them properly. To pay $8k or $10k for a Dakota over a Rigby? Insanity. One is worth $2800 the next day, the other is worth $8k in perpetuity.

Spike -

haha it's all good I think you might have seen from my initial response I was skeptical about the info anyway.

A mauser m98 magnum, or better yet a Rigby for the same money, is miles better than a Dakota 76 African. While Dakotas are beautiful and I have and do own them, they are quirky, have occasional defects, and are not as durable. I also buy Dakotas at 75% off when I buy them...so I value them properly. To pay $8k or $10k for a Dakota over a Rigby? Insanity. One is worth $2800 the next day, the other is worth $8k in perpetuity.
This is an interesting point, so you feel like the Dakota's aren't as heavily built as the Mauser/Rigby rifles? I was getting that vibe just by looking online that they may not be in the same category as a Mauser or a Rigby. So is it safe to say they are a little over priced for what you get? Thanks for the input, this is exactly what I was looking for, real world experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg