Mauser 98 Builds

35Rem is not a rimmed cartridge so we can rule that out as a reason why the smith said no.
You're correct. My phone died at donut shop before I could correct that. Not sure what I was thinking. My best friend growing up had a 35 Rem in the long recoil semi that Browning designed.

8mm Mauser has rim diameter of 0.470" while 35 Rem is 0.460". Again, making the bolt face shrink might be an issue. I'm thinking 0.010" slop would present some extraction issues: the cartridge would not be held securely during cycling. 30-06 has a rim diameter of 0.473" and opening a Mauser bolt for that cartridge or any of its countless derivatives would not be difficult.

Last edited:
rdog,

I'm dying to get my gun room/workshop built. It's in the process, but itching every day.

I went with former Military actions, due to price and availability. My stockmaker showed me 2 Dumolin receivers he had hidden away the other day. I was speechless. New, in the box! He probably had another 1/2 dozen mixed Mauser actions, if not more stuffed in the cabinet. I feel I made a good choice with him!

I'll post the caliber choices when closer. I think one will be received happily, the other not so much.
Since these will be iron sight guns, and I don't yet handload I decide to go with calibers I already own/shoot. I didn't need/want to add another mouth to feed. To make it more interesting, I'll tell you some of the calibers I already own are; 35 Remington, 300 Savage, 280 Remington, 284 Win, 308 Win and 243 Win (others too). They may or may not be in one or more of these. Ohh, don't anyone tell Bob35whelen I own a 243!
You could redeem yourself by trading that 243 for a 25-06.

@CraigV
If your gunsmith wanted the 35 rem to work it would work. Just lazy in my books.
Do yourself a big favour, DONT SHOOT THE 243!!!!! Just SELL the useless thing and use the money to fund another Mauser project.
Something like a nice 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06 or even a 35 Whelen. You will get MORE JOY out of any of those than a 243. Dang man the 25-06 with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and 131gn bullets will do everything the 6.5 manbun will and then some. PLUS it's a nice soft recoiling rifle for the kids. Loaded with a nice 117grain SST and you have a fine and dandy long range deer rifle.
Bob
The problem with 35 rem is the bolt.

You could redeem yourself by trading that 243 for a 25-06.
Hahahaa!

Yup!

Honestly, I'd probably go 257 Bob, or 257 Weatherby if that were the case.

I've learned, I don't need one of every caliber - shocking news, don't tell anyone. There was a time when I thought so. But now, I'm happy to have a good cross spectrum.

Or, I could sell the entire lot, and just go 35 Whelen. I've heard it's better than the rest, cures warts, and can get you through customs in 164 countries, without a visa or passport.

You're spot on with the 35 REM problem. Could have been made to work, but no guarantee, and for sure a total custom job. So, if anything broke down the road, I've got a lovely 7lbs club, Works fine for armadillo, but got to be real quiet sneaking up on game with antlers.

Ah ... BIG difference. 35 Rem is a rimmed cartridge. Perhaps it might be possible to build one on a Siamese Mauser? They were designed for rimmed cartridges. 45-70 is a popular build for them. But bolt face may be too big? It's one thing to open a bolt face for larger cartridges but shrinking a bolt face would be challenging (maybe impossible?). Thanks for straightening us out. That gunsmith was correct in declining to attempt building 35 Remington on Mauser 98. Frankly, that cartridge would not be at the top of my list for a build ... or for any gun in my safe.
So, you're missing out, in my opinion.

35REM is a great old cartridge. In fact, if you have a lever action, it's better all around than 30/30.

Of course, I may be biased, it was the 1st big game cartridge I purchased, so holds a soft spot where my heart would be.

I'd bet it's slain as much game as the cartridges in your safe, but again, just my opinion.

Hahahaa!

Yup!

Honestly, I'd probably go 257 Bob, or 257 Weatherby if that were the case.

I've learned, I don't need one of every caliber - shocking news, don't tell anyone. There was a time when I thought so. But now, I'm happy to have a good cross spectrum.

Or, I could sell the entire lot, and just go 35 Whelen. I've heard it's better than the rest, cures warts, and can get you through customs in 164 countries, without a visa or passport.

You're spot on with the 35 REM problem. Could have been made to work, but no guarantee, and for sure a total custom job. So, if anything broke down the road, I've got a lovely 7lbs club, Works fine for armadillo, but got to be real quiet sneaking up on game with antlers.
@CraigV
Just split the difference in the 25s and get a 25-06. A nice 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps will shoot flat and drive deep.
The Whelen is upto 175 countries now, even Australia.
Bob

Well done Craig - they both look the goods (y)

So, you're missing out, in my opinion.

35REM is a great old cartridge. In fact, if you have a lever action, it's better all around than 30/30.

Of course, I may be biased, it was the 1st big game cartridge I purchased, so holds a soft spot where my heart would be.

I'd bet it's slain as much game as the cartridges in your safe, but again, just my opinion.
My dad's two 30-06 are in my safe with the 404 Jeffery I just built. That's all I have for big game rifles. I think you just lost the bet. Sorry, I've never been much enamored with lever action rifles. But that's just me.

My dad's two 30-06 are in my safe with the 404 Jeffery I just built. That's all I have for big game rifles. I think you just lost the bet. Sorry, I've never been much enamored with lever action rifles. But that's just me.
The 35 rem is one of the best of the so called brush buster cartridges. Within 200 yards with a good hold the blood trail will be copious and short.

I just got my custom build from stockwork

Colorcase hardened action with recknagel safety and EAW mount bases

.375 H&H

Scope is Zeiss victory varipoint 1,1-4x24

Mauser98.jpg
Mauser98_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s done right , really nice looking rig. Who did the work?

I just got my custom build from stockwork

Colorcase hardened action with recknagel safety and EAW mount bases

.375 H&H

Scope is Zeiss victory varipoint 1,1-4x24

View attachment 594351
Beautiful rifle, will you have case colored scope rings aswell for the swing mount?

Rings are normal black
They are, but they do look nice when case colored, I was considering that when I ordered my custom M98 .375 H&H but in the end I opted for silver nitrated rings with engraving instead.

This was my inspiration when thinking about going with case colored swing mounts and rings.

color case hardened rings.jpg

They are, but they do look nice when case colored, I was considering that when I ordered my custom M98 .375 H&H but in the end I opted for silver nitrated rings with engraving instead.

This was my inspiration when thinking about going with case colored swing mounts and rings.

View attachment 594585
Those would look awesome, no doubt

View attachment 594585
Those rings seem awfully high. I would think finding the crosshairs would not be quick. Could be scary if the target is angry and incoming at high speed. And a heavy recoiling caliber like 375 will jump severely with shooter being that far above the comb. Better hang on! All to preserve the original safety on a highly modified military surplus rifle.

Those rings seem awfully high. I would think finding the crosshairs would not be quick. Could be scary if the target is angry and incoming at high speed. And a heavy recoiling caliber like 375 will jump severely with shooter being that far above the comb. Better hang on! All to preserve the original safety on a highly modified military surplus rifle.
There are lower rings available, I think that the reason for the high ones on the rifle in the picture is due to the fact that the gunsmith for some reason opted to keep the original flag safety.

For exactly this reason I ordered my custom rifle with a M70 type safety, the Recknagel Secura Flach/Low built safety.

1000064176.jpg

There are lower rings available, I think that the reason for the high ones on the rifle in the picture is due to the fact that the gunsmith for some reason opted to keep the original flag safety.

For exactly this reason I ordered my custom rifle with a M70 type safety, the Recknagel Secura Flach/Low built safety.

View attachment 594640
I also went with Model 70 style safety for my build. They are best design for both scoped or iron sights. The old military flag safety was okay, albeit awkward to operate, but they don't work with scopes. No advantage except classic appearance. Buhler style 2-position scope relief wing safeties are fine but if scope is removed they are too easily snagged on clothing or brush and disengaged. Also, some of those safeties will disengage if the bolt handle is rattled. Trigger block safeties on the side of receiver are okay but only 2-position so gun must be in firing position to load or unload (admittedly not a big deal for someone who knows basic gun safety).

The Parkwest 3-position safety I purchased is not nearly as nice as yours. Basically the same except yours has a screw to keep the lever in the shroud. My model only uses a pressed in pin ... that kept falling out. Lucky I didn't lose the internal spring and locking pall. I finally made a replacement pin from a piece of drill bit with one end peened out of shape. That pin is not coming out!

You have a gun to be proud of. Looking forward to a report on how it shoots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrenGril

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.