Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi guys,

So I came across a MH in 303 that I'm pretty interested in from the perspective of "Oooo, that looks nice perspective".

After some reading, I see that the actions themselves don't have a reputation for being overly accurate- is this verifiable or was I looking in the wrong spot?

I do like the "different" actions, but I would be using it for hunting. I would sadly butcher it (new barrel, proper sights etc) but would it be a waste from an application perspective?

TIA

Hi guys,

So I came across a MH in 303 that I'm pretty interested in from the perspective of "Oooo, that looks nice perspective".

After some reading, I see that the actions themselves don't have a reputation for being overly accurate- is this verifiable or was I looking in the wrong spot?

I do like the "different" actions, but I would be using it for hunting. I would sadly butcher it (new barrel, proper sights etc) but would it be a waste from an application perspective?

Waste from an application perspective? No. The Martini is actually a decent action and I really like mine.

Accuracy with a Martini is actually more a barrel issue than an action issue. My experience is that a lot of the barrels installed on Martinis were/are just not capable of producing good accuracy no matter the action. My Greener-Martini (chambered for 45-70) has a really good barrel and it is quite accurate.
p6hAgo7.jpg

AV9lhqE.jpg

CB

Attachments

• p6hAgo7.jpg
    p6hAgo7.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 206
  • AV9lhqE.jpg
    AV9lhqE.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
In the 1940s and 1950s they were very popular to convert to 219 Zipper and 219 Donaldson Wasp for target and varmint shooting. The 222 pretty much put an end to it.
Still, they were lovely rifles and the cartridges were interesting just for their names! IMO

Yes, I believe the barrel and the way the barrel is fit to the receiver are the keys for an accurate MH. The two I've been around and shot some are not the big ones but the design is the same. Both were very accurate. A gunsmith friend says, for whatever reason, the Brits designed them requiring special tooling and fixtures to properly fit a barrel and it's somewhat of a pain to do it right.

Definately capable of superb accuracy or at least mine were and has been said they were desirable for varmint type use and that requires a very good level of accuracy.

in oz we had a cartridge called the 222 rimmed.
it was the same as the 222 rem, but with a rim, and was chambered in martini rifles for varmint and, wait for it, benchrest rifles.
the martini was also used competitively as a smallbore target rifle in many countries.
so yes, the action ( if in good condition) is capable of better than hunting accuracy.
a good triggeroligist can give them a match grade trigger.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,