Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi guys,

So I came across a MH in 303 that I'm pretty interested in from the perspective of "Oooo, that looks nice perspective".

After some reading, I see that the actions themselves don't have a reputation for being overly accurate- is this verifiable or was I looking in the wrong spot?

I do like the "different" actions, but I would be using it for hunting. I would sadly butcher it (new barrel, proper sights etc) but would it be a waste from an application perspective?

TIA

Cousin Bongo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA - Benefactor
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Paupa New Guinea, Philippines, USA (various including Alaska)
Hi guys,

So I came across a MH in 303 that I'm pretty interested in from the perspective of "Oooo, that looks nice perspective".

After some reading, I see that the actions themselves don't have a reputation for being overly accurate- is this verifiable or was I looking in the wrong spot?

I do like the "different" actions, but I would be using it for hunting. I would sadly butcher it (new barrel, proper sights etc) but would it be a waste from an application perspective?

Waste from an application perspective? No. The Martini is actually a decent action and I really like mine.

Accuracy with a Martini is actually more a barrel issue than an action issue. My experience is that a lot of the barrels installed on Martinis were/are just not capable of producing good accuracy no matter the action. My Greener-Martini (chambered for 45-70) has a really good barrel and it is quite accurate.

CB

Attachments

• p6hAgo7.jpg
    p6hAgo7.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 13
  • AV9lhqE.jpg
    AV9lhqE.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
In the 1940s and 1950s they were very popular to convert to 219 Zipper and 219 Donaldson Wasp for target and varmint shooting. The 222 pretty much put an end to it.
Still, they were lovely rifles and the cartridges were interesting just for their names! IMO

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Yes, I believe the barrel and the way the barrel is fit to the receiver are the keys for an accurate MH. The two I've been around and shot some are not the big ones but the design is the same. Both were very accurate. A gunsmith friend says, for whatever reason, the Brits designed them requiring special tooling and fixtures to properly fit a barrel and it's somewhat of a pain to do it right.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Definately capable of superb accuracy or at least mine were and has been said they were desirable for varmint type use and that requires a very good level of accuracy.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
in oz we had a cartridge called the 222 rimmed.
it was the same as the 222 rem, but with a rim, and was chambered in martini rifles for varmint and, wait for it, benchrest rifles.
the martini was also used competitively as a smallbore target rifle in many countries.
so yes, the action ( if in good condition) is capable of better than hunting accuracy.
a good triggeroligist can give them a match grade trigger.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelineM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J