AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Chanute Kansas is not a town that screams "come hither". There is also no great way of getting there. It has however been on my radar for a few years due to the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum. Recently we happened to be in the general neighborhood and stopped in.

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

@monish did a nice article on the Johnson's that is here on AH.

http://www.africahunting.com/index....ohnson-1894-1953-adventurers.3446/#post-14982

The Johnson's names may not ring familiar with everyone, but our grandparents would have ranked them up with Hemingway regarding Africa. The Johnson's were pioneers in filming and doing documentaries on wild animals and wild places. Theaters were packed with lines forming around the block when their movies were shown. Osa also published a number of books.

Here are just a few photos taken at the museum.

safari museum 1.JPG
safari museum 9.JPG
safari museum 2.JPG
safari museum 3.JPG
safari museum 4.JPG
safari museum 5.JPG
safari museum 6.JPG
safari museum 7.JPG
safari museum 8.JPG

The museum is not large and like many small town specialty museums seems old and lacking vibrancy. If however you enjoy old Africana and happen to be traveling somewhere between the moon and Timbuktu, stop in and see this little gem.

Attachments

• safari museum 2.JPG
    safari museum 2.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 283
  • safari museum 3.JPG
    safari museum 3.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 228
  • safari museum 4.JPG
    safari museum 4.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 199
  • safari museum 5.JPG
    safari museum 5.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 208
  • safari museum 6.JPG
    safari museum 6.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 197
  • safari museum 7.JPG
    safari museum 7.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 214
good stuff, wheels
id love to check that out
love hearing about stuff these two got up to

Thanks for sharing Wheels!

I need to do some research it seems.

Great find Wheels. I think I will go see it!

We read about them a few yrs. back..Went to a used book store in Casper and there was one of the books they wrote..I think I paid $5....Money very well spent...If you want true adventure ,look 'em up on the net..What a life they had ! First folks to film for Eastman in Africa..

Thank you, hopefully I can swing by on my travels someday!

I've been a bit curious about some of the old, vintage photos that appear at the top of the home page. I finally clicked on one and saw it was labeled "Johnson, Osa & Martin, Adventurers." My first reaction was, never heard of them and my second was, how cool would it be to list your profession as "Adventurer." I Googled Osa & Martin Johnson and was going to start a new thread, but found this started by @Wheels .

Here's a link to another interesting article.
https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/martin-and-osa-johnson/12102

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.42.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.42.59 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.43.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.43.01 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.43.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.43.03 PM.png
    674.2 KB · Views: 193
I've been a bit curious about some of the old, vintage photos that appear at the top of the home page. I finally clicked on one and saw it was labeled "Johnson, Osa & Martin, Adventurers." My first reaction was, never heard of them and my second was, how cool would it be to list your profession as "Adventurer." I Googled Osa & Martin Johnson and was going to start a new thread, but found this started by @Wheels .

Here's a link to another interesting article.
https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/martin-and-osa-johnson/12102

Adventurer would be a good title to add to your business card. You live in Africa. Hunt Africa. Travel to the U.S. to hunt. That qualifies you in my book!(y) Maybe you can start a club. The League of Extraordinary Adventurers. I would join if you would have me.;)

Thanks for the link.

"I Married Adventure" is a book I read as a kid and enjoyed.

I got I Married Adventure out of a junk bin at a library sale years ago. Since then I've bought a bunch more of their books, as well as every video (DVD) the museum sells online. Wonderful period pieces. I also use them in my classes at school some times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois