Marlin 375

I wouldn’t go that far used within there limits there a fine rifle. One of my good friends and hunting partners took a 300lbs black bear a couple years ago we called in at about thirty feet with the cartridge and it preformed admirably. That rifle was a winchester xtr but the same caliber.
You are better off not knowing. :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn’t go that far used within there limits there a fine rifle. One of my good friends and hunting partners took a 300lbs black bear a couple years ago we called in at about thirty feet with the cartridge and it preformed admirably. That rifle was a winchester xtr but the same caliber.
30 feet...10 yards...so ten steps away when he pulled the trigger. That is hardly a ringing endorsement as to the performance of a cartridge. Your example is further proof of my point.

30 feet...10 yards...so ten steps away when he pulled the trigger. That is hardly a ringing endorsement as to the performance of a cartridge. Your example is further proof of my point.
Next time we call one in I’ll be sure to ask him to stand further away so as to provide a better example.
I’m not trying to justify the use of the caliber in Africa I’m simply saying within the confines of the design there a decent cartridge. Along the same lines as the .35 Remington I’d never compare a .35 rem to a Whelen for performance but wouldn’t feel under gunned carrying on on the east coast either.

@Skinnersblade
Our gun writer Nick Harvey had a friend that used a 38-55 loaded with 250 grainers it think that were at around 1,700 to 1800 fps to drop buffalo and scrub bulls with one shot with it. Must have been doing something right

BLR 325 WSM is also a good choice if one wants to keep it as lever gun with lot of power and convinience of using spitzer bullets and long range capabilities. It is basicaly a 8mm cartrige like 318 .
Quote from wikipedia
" The .318 Westley Richards was one of the most popular medium-bore cartridges used in Africa, even after the introduction of the .375 Holland & Holland.[5] "
Krish.

Last edited:
Exactly.

@Damonk1384 - The typical 30-06 load of 180 grain bullet at 2750 fps yields over 3000 lb-ft of energy. With proper shot placement and bullet construction, nearly all large game animals are on the table. Besides if you want something with a little more punch, you still have the 35W, 338WM and a 45-70 (which I'll assume is a lever action).

If I were going to Africa and had your rifles to choose from...I'd pack the 35W, load it with some Barnes TTSX 200 grain (or Federal TBBC 225 grain) and never look back. Your PH will be very happy once you demonstrate how accurately you shoot it.

Compare any of these to the performance levels of the 375WIN and it becomes obvious quickly how far it lags behind.
Thanks for your input.

@Damonk1384
Good to see an enlightened hunter with a Whelen. With the Whelen it makes the 30-06 and the 338WM redundant. Loaded properly it will out do the 06 and equal to the 338WM. The secret to the Whelen is to load it properly with modern data. There's a bucketful of info on this forum on how to get the best out of the Whelen.
The 45-70 is a great old cartridge that continues to plod a long and kill game after 150 odd years.
Bob
Thanks Bob. I do like the Whelen.

I think a Blaser with a .30-06 would be fine for Africa. Take a .243 barrel for the Tiny Ten

Oh my. Where the hell is @Bob Nelson 35Whelen... Calling Bob! Bob to the lobby please! Hey Bob, can you hear me!?!?!

You have more than enough gun currently to go hunting PG in Africa without spending money on a Marlin 375. For DG, take a look at a .375 or a .416 caliber.
I took your advice and purchased a Ruger m77 375. My wife wants to talk with you. Now to find brass…another journey undertaken

I took your advice and purchased a Ruger m77 375. My wife wants to talk with you. Now to find brass…another journey undertaken
Congratulations. Come to the AH dinner at SCI and I’ll be happy to meet you both. She can take her swings and we can talk guns and ammo. Cheers.

Cool. So does she want to talk about politics, religion, current events, what your next gun purchase should be?

I think a Blaser with a .30-06 would be fine for Africa. Take a .243 barrel for the Tiny Ten
@CBH Australia
If you go down the blaser rabbit hole start the extensions on the doghouse mate. That would be the minimum your lovely wife would do.
Bob

Cool. So does she want to talk about politics, religion, current events, what your next gun purchase shou
Cool. So does she want to talk about politics, religion, current events, what your next gun purchase should be?
whatever you want to talk about go for it. I would just suggest that if you find yourself disagreeing do it quietly and to yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.