Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
If it wasn't so cold would wanna move there.
Does he get to keep the rug?

The story explains . . . the bear goes to the state (all of it)
Perhaps I did not read that far down.
I kinda figure that from what I've read previously.
It's a shame, under the circumstances as neighbour puts his life at risk to help the we other guy , who, defending his home tried to kill the bear. The one th as t entered and damaged his house.

I believe some parts of the United States can use firearms in self defence.

If you are forced to shoot an intruder in your home the state is welcome to deal with them.

If you have to shoot a bear intruding in your home the state should mount the bastard for you.

At least he noticed that a Judge in 45 Colt was lacking. He took possession of a Benelli M4 12 gauge as a bedside companion.

I can't remember the last time I had to remove a downed intruder from my home with a tow truck.:rolleyes:

Going by the article, the homeowner could keep the meat.

DB

It’s a DLP bear. Hide and skull go to the state. The meat is not typically eaten. The bear will count against the harvest quota for that area.

Whoa! That’s a little too much excitement for me. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I lived in Anchorage for 3 years and loved it …but hiking etc was always done with the bears in mind. I was always happy when my husband was along.

Most poached and DLP bears will be held at the yearly F&G auction in Anchorage (atleast they were still a few years back). I have witnessed several homeowners, hunters ect that where injured or had a run in with a specific bear at auction that they bid/bought the hide back from the state.

Whoa! That’s a little too much excitement for me. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I lived in Anchorage for 3 years and loved it …but hiking etc was always done with the bears in mind. I was always happy when my husband was along.

One of my operators in Fairbanks got a call from his mum one night. A griz had broken through the outside door of her house and was in the Arctic entry trying to get through the second door. She grabbed her rifle, went out the back door, around the house, and killed the bear right in the entry. She was 70 at the time. The reason for the call? ‘COME AND GET THIS D@&$ BEAR OUT OF MY HOUSE!’ Tough lady.

Most poached and DLP bears will be held at the yearly F&G auction in Anchorage (atleast they were still a few years back). I have witnessed several homeowners, hunters ect that where injured or had a run in with a specific bear at auction that they bid/bought the hide back from the state.
that is 100% right. a buddy of mine shot one in his kitchen with a 45 app (black bear) he was backup with 45-70 (was not needed) he bought the bear hide at said auction during the fur rondy i believe.

he and i slid out a moose i shot with my bow yesterday. an interesting day.

One of my operators in Fairbanks got a call from his mum one night. A griz had broken through the outside door of her house and was in the Arctic entry trying to get through the second door. She grabbed her rifle, went out the back door, around the house, and killed the bear right in the entry. She was 70 at the time. The reason for the call? ‘COME AND GET THIS D@&$ BEAR OUT OF MY HOUSE!’ Tough lady.
Oh gosh, I LOVE that story. You gotta love true Alaskans. They are a rare breed for sure. That was one of my favorite parts of living there: everyone had a story...and it was typically a really good one!

Cool story. Good ending. I gotta ask, though, who chooses to live on Kodiak Island armed with nothing bigger than a 45 Colt pistol? Don't misunderstand, I love 45 Colt but if I lived in a place that's named after the bigass bears that live there I'd consider it a requirement to own something big enough to dispatch one.

Cool story. Good ending. I gotta ask, though, who chooses to live on Kodiak Island armed with nothing bigger than a 45 Colt pistol? Don't misunderstand, I love 45 Colt but if I lived in a place that's named after the bigass bears that live there I'd consider it a requirement to own something big enough to dispatch one.
Good point. This made me laugh!

Great story. I had a mother grizzly and 2 large cubs on my front porch once. I was about to shoot one (they had caused a lot of damage elsewhere and needed to go). Then I realized my car and truck where behind them. So I scared them off by shooting over their heads. Neighbors eventually shot 2 that night. If I hadn't already shot 2 grizzlies sport hunting I probably would have taken the chance.

My boss lived in Kodiak for a while. A bear tore the siding off the side of his house because bees had honey in there. It was so windy they didn't even notice at first.

This story illustrates how a pistol is useful even if not perfect. Often a wounded bear will head away which buys time. Of course it can make things worse. In that case there was a bear trapped in the house so there wasn't much chance of it leaving peacefully. Dad was smart to make a solid hit while he had a chance.

I carry a 10mm but after seeing bears move it a last resort only. My choice would be
1. Rifle/ 12 gauge
2. Bear spray
3. Pistol

If you plan to use a 45 Long Colt it better be a Ruger shooting hot handloads. And not a 5 shot revolver.

If anything he should of had a 12 ga sitting close to his bedroom.

I lived in the Alaska bush for several years. We had a pickup truck with a cover over the back and I would use it to take my trash to the dump. I remember the first morning I came out and saw bear paw and nose prints in the dirt on the back of the pickup because I had taken trash to the dump the night before and the smell still lingered, at least enough to attract a bear's attention.

We would have bears come through the yard. It wasn't an every day occurrence but it was also not rare in the summer. One neighbor had chickens and they frequently had bears in their yard. She had a shotgun and would shoot them with rubber shotgun slugs. She said the hard part was making sure that they were facing away when she pulled the trigger because when the slugs would hit, they'd start running so you want to make sure they ran away from you.

One year we had a bear that came by just about every day for about a week. It always came at night but we could see places where it had dug holes or it had crapped in the yard. This was particularly concerning because my kids at the time were very young, both under 5 y/o. We lived on a lake and I fished a lot, which I'm sure created scent that piqued their interest. One night I came home late because I had a trial the next day. That bear was in our yard yet again. When my headlights flashed on it, it went down by the lake. It was dark at this time because fall was coming.* I went inside and grabbed my rifle and a flashlight and went down by the lake/dock. About 10-15 yards away, the bear was sitting in my boat, either because of fish scent from the weekend or because it smelled 2 cycle engine oil in my boat bucket or some other reason, I don't know.**

I was holding the rifle grip with my right hand and the stock fore end and flashlight with my left. The bear was just looking at me. And bear season at that time started on 9/15, so I couldn't shoot it. But we were remote enough that I could and did fire a shot over its head without worrying about hitting anybody. At the sound, the bear took off running. We never saw that bear again.

But there were bears at the dump and bears would come through because of the fish in the lake. You just got used to living with bears. I was not local so I knew I would never get away with shooting a bear and dumping its carcass in the lake, so I never did. And DLP (Defense of life and/or property) bears are a pain. You can shoot a bear in defense of life and property but you have to skin it and take the hide, claws, and skull to the troopers. They are auctioned off early in the year but that's a lot of work. Theoretically you could bid on the hide of the bear you shot but who knows how well it's been treated and you might or might not get it so I have never shot a DLP bear. I've floated several rivers and fished SW Alaska a lot. I would estimate I've seen > 300 bears in the wild, sometimes far too close for comfort. Had to fire a gun over other curious bears. The sound usually gets them running. They are truly magnificent animals, their culinary habits aside.

* The date was actually Monday, September 10, 2001. You can see why I remember the date.

** Bears were notorious for eating 2 cycle engine oil. It left a giant, stinking mess of shit when they did. Actually, bears eat just about anything. They are walking garbage cans.

* Bears were notorious for eating 2 cycle engine oil. It left a giant, stinking mess of shit when they did. Actually, bears eat just about anything. They are walking garbage cans
Another thing they love is anything spongy like atv seats, treestand pads ect ect. I cant count how many atv seats ive seen destroyed by bears.
Last pointer from me is don't strap down a small game carcass to your atv and leave it there while you go check the streams for browns because you may return to your quad and find it on it's side all tore to hell....and no carcass.

I had one of them in my freezer in my carport this Fall. First time in 26 years. He was a 1 y/o cub. Scared off easy. He was particularly fond of the smoked tuna I had in there.

Another thing they love is anything spongy like atv seats, treestand pads ect ect. I cant count how many atv seats ive seen destroyed by bears.
Last pointer from me is don't strap down a small game carcass to your atv and leave it there while you go check the streams for browns because you may return to your quad and find it on it's side all tore to hell....and no carcass.

We had a brown bear tear the crap out of the hot tub cover on our deck in Kenai. You’re absolutely right about the ‘spongy’ attraction. They also like rubber rafts and super cubs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!