Man Bun gun for target shooting

Would you own a Man bun gun for target shooting?

• Maybe

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Probably not

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • No!

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Not a snowflakes chance in hell

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I can't go back on all the bad mouthing of it now

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
As I'm spending more time on the range more people are trying to sell me on the merits of the Man Bun gun.

As an off the shelf option Lithgow make the Woomera or La105 chassis rifle in 6.5creedmoor.

Now, I'd like to say I would be seen dead with one but I've always said it's designed for long distance target work. It seems there is evidence to support this. A fella who offers range instruction supports this and suggests that even in the current climate ammo and components are well supported.

I am interested learning some long range skills and will probably put a better scope on my 7mm-08 before growing my hair.

am I going to buy one any time in the near future? No.... but thats not because of its reputation for being the beloved cartridge of hipsters and range geeks... or because it is inadequate in any way for its intended/designed purpose..

I simply dont need another "deer" caliber rifle or "long range" rifle in the inventory... I've got several other rifles that overlap on the CM's capabilities that meet all of my current needs.. my next few builds/buys are likely going to be a 300 class magnum.. and MAYBE a 338 of some sort..

That said... If I saw a great bargain on one, built on a platform I thought I'd like.. I wouldnt hesitate to pick one up..

Ive got a buddy that shoots a Daniel Defense Delta 5 (bolt action) in 6.5 Creedmore... It has proven outright deadly on TX hogs and deer.. not one animal has traveled more than 10 feet after he's shot one with it.. He also shoots the rifle at reasonably long distances (600 meter range) and it produces beautiful little groups.. ammo is affordable.. reloading for it is easy..

Theres really not much to hate about the caliber.. other than the stereotype user/owner..

How long is the long range that you are looking at?
It is one of the good options, especially if you are not shooting beyond a mile, and you like good ammo availability.

... and I recently got myself a .308 target rifle. I rarely have access to ranges that are actually Long, supply of ammunition and components is even better ,here, and I found a pretty nice second hand rifle at a good price.

As I'm spending more time on the range more people are trying to sell me on the merits of the Man Bun gun.
Man,
I needed some time to:

1. Decode the title.
2. Decode the poll options.

You must consider that not all forum members are Australians, and not all forum members are native English speaker.
For example, me. ;)

Once we established that, and under condition that I translated and decoded the question correct, then the answer is yes.
Buy Man Bun Gun!

Other considerations - recerattional and learning or competiton?
Learning long range shooting, can be done with any caliber of lower recoil.
For this reason consider also 308 win - the reason is, arguably, the longest barrel life expected.

To fine tune long range skills, and equipment, buy something in 6.5 or 7 mm range.
6.5 CM fits.

However, to get maximum out of rifle, take a look in 284 Winchester caliber. (if available around)

We are speaking of up to 1000 meters range.

Competition level.
If you get serious in competition, there is f-class sport. Here choice of caliber is much more important.

In short, in f-class, there are two disciplines.

FTR (f class target rifle), calibers allowed only 223 and 308 win, max rifle weight 8.5 kg.
FO (f class open), any caliber in range from 223 up to 8mm, max rifle weight 10 kg.

So, to compete in both classes, 308 win covers both.

To seriously compete in F open, there are more serious calibers then 6.5 CM, one being 284 Winchester.

Your 7-08 is also very good caliber for this, (F open) if it is in acceptable type of rifle, optimized for prone position, and longer shooting strings.

For beginner, 6.5 CM, and recreationally long range shooting, 6.5 is OK, (just as 308 win) under considerations of arguably shorter barrel life.

Changing the barrel after season or two, will be part of this hobby.

If you get to (or consider getting to) competition level, my personal view in two classes fopenand ftr, is following.

FTR promotes the shooter and skills, arguably
Fopen promotes better technical skills (rifle, reloading, ammo), arguably.
Thats my personal view, only.

reading the wind and mirage is essential skill for both classes, you will learn this, regardless of caliber you choose, thats fact.

I am looking at the 6.5cm and the 6.5x 55 swedish but for deer, The old .243 is having trouble with the copper ammunition.

I voted “maybe”, because if somebody GAVE me a Man Bun chambered rifle with ammo for it, I would shoot it. Would one have to sport a Man Bun when in actual possession of the rifle though? If so, I’d have to think about changing my vote. LOL

As an off the shelf option Lithgow make the Woomera or La105 chassis rifle in 6.5creedmoor.

Now, I'd like to say I would be seen dead with one but I've always said it's designed for long distance target work. It seems there is evidence to support this. A fella who offers range instruction supports this and suggests that even in the current climate ammo and components are well supported.

I am interested learning some long range skills and will probably put a better scope on my 7mm-08 before growing my hair.
I have one already, haven’t shot shot it as I like the 260 rem more.

If the Sig Cross was good and used Sauer STR mags and 6,5x55 Skan was a option its one i would look to.

My reason for saying “no” is that there are too many better options for a dedicated paper puncher than the 6.5CM.

Staying with the 6.5mm theme the 6.5PRC is a great choice or move up to a 7PRC. Both of these were designed from the ground up for long range shooting. Each having tighter chamber tolerances and allowing longer heavier (for caliber) bullets.

Any chosen caliber will be barrel burner if you are using them in competition so I believe it to be a moot point. Just need to budget for replacement.

Also need to budget for reloading. I’m not a reloader but there is something about annealing the neck on a casing using a special machine that will increase your consistency. Reloading is not cheap or easy, but that’s what it takes to be one of the best.

@mark-hunter
Sorry about that, your writing is quite clear for someone whose first language is not english.

I have a .308 suitable for Ftr.

I had a lead on a late members F open rifle (Bruce Moulds) my offer and expectations didn't meet at the time. In hindsight they could have made a counter offer or substantiated it's value.

I have a Tikka CTR that I could work with and maybe put an MDT Oryx chassis on it but the Lithgow Woomera is available with a heavy barrel.6.5 or .308.

Bruce's rifle was a .284 set up for F Open.. He wasn't a fan of the .6.5cm.

On my regular range we can only do 200m but I can join another club. I'm somewhere between wanting to shoot G Class or just shoot well in our monthly club meet out to 200.

With all that said I'm still interested in learning some long range skills 500+ metres, maybe 1000 just for the experience.

While I hate the hype and BS claims about the 6.5cm I do believe it was designed for long range target work.

The reason seems to be they did design it in a way to seat projectiles out and set up the rifle, chamber, ammo etc to be compatible

I do believe the .260rem can do better but to get it's best performance it also needs to be throated long to allow seating long projectiles far enough out to get an optimal charge.

Mr @BeeMaa ,

I'm sure the PRC line have better ballistics but less availability at present.

I read up on the 7prc because it will just push a 7mm hunting Projectile faster and could be built on my .300wm action.

It's seems the Man Bun thing is an affordable option but I'm still thinking about Pimping my 7mm-08 because I still think it's a good thing.

While I hate the hype and BS claims about the 6.5cm I do believe it was designed for long range target work.
Yes, you are right about that.

Forget about BSand all the hype , just go for it, if it makes you happy, but dont expect to move mountains with 6.5 when compared to 308.

Will drop you a pm, with one of my researches.

It’s not a bad cartridge - just unnecessary. I think most people (me included) make a friendly “manbun” jab to have a laugh. In my opinion, it is a fine little cartridge for putting holes in paper or whitetail. As usual, the gunrags have overhyped the cartridge (with great success) and now folks thinks it’s a the best cartridge that ever was or will be. But there are now a ton of offerings for both the rifle and ammo. If you want a low recoil center fire, don’t reload, and don’t already have too many light big game rifles - it might be a good idea.

I won’t be getting one. My 6.5-284 just does it better. I did however get a 6mm creedmore in a Ruger precision rifle. Really like it, doesn’t come with the bun either

I am sure when Dennis Demille was involved in designing the 6.5 Creedmoor his intention was for the shooter to wear a man bun. Dennis is a Marine and in his day one of the better HP shooters in the country.

It is just another choice, marginally better than some, maybe not quite as good as others for certain applications, but all in all, a very good cartridge.

I have never shot one, but would not hesitate to own a 6.5 Creedmoor if the urge hit me.

I will mail in my vote, several days after the poles close and demand it be counted. I might also harvest several votes in my neighborhood and drop them off at a collection box.

I might buy one or more 6.5 CM for my grandsons in a few years. I have a couple 6.5x55, so I don't need one. Ammo for 6.5 CM is easily available and a nice size cartridge for youth hunters.

If you get serious in competition, there is f-class sport. Here choice of caliber is much more important.
Everybody knows HP sling shooters are the real marksman. Just kidding, sort of :)

F-Class has certainly grown while we have been in a slow decline.

I decided to build my own, 6mm Dasher. I have all the components except the action which should be ready in a month or so.

Yep, I bought a Christiansen 5 years ago and dont regret it. 20” carbon barrel, set up with a can and 25x scope, its a fun little rifle to shoot past 500. Easy to load for and components are easy to get. Kids can shoot it easier with a bit more umph on the target end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross