Making own bullets

Carter123

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi , just look for an opinion on the topic of reloading ur own ammunition. I have absolutely no experience, looking to start reloading 223 and 9mm ,maybe 270 as well . Is it an extremely difficult skill to learn and is it worth it ?

Reloading ammunition from components (brass cases, bullets, powder, primers) that you purchase is a fairly straightforward process, if you are just a bit careful. For some calibres it will be more worthwile than others. Though I doubt that you could reload "bulk shooting" cartridges such as 223 or 9mm significantly cheaper than you could find off-the-shelf ammo. There is a startup cost for getting the equipment that is needed.

I you have e.g. a .416 or bigger, you will most certainly 'save' money. Actually you won't. But you will be able to shoot more for the same amount of money.

If you are actually talking about making your own bullets, that can be done too. Simplest is probably to start casting lead projectiles.

Very simple process. There is some savings on standard caliber savings, but the specialty cartridge savings is substantial. Purchasing 100 GC hard cast for $70. Delivered, or casting your own for $10.
So casting 500 bullets saves you $300. Then by loading with your own brass, there’s much more in savings, over purchasing loaded ammunition. That’s plenty of inexpensive practice, then if you want premium bullets to hunt with, you can load those as well.

Not difficult and well worth it while also giving the feeling of independence. I have been reloading and casting since 1966, wow 55 years. Swaging equipment opens vast opportunities for reloaders. Like being able to make the .223 bullet jackets from fired .22 RF cases or making jacketed bullets in general.

Reloading is not difficult but is seemingly daunting to the novice until he has become familiar with the process. So I would suggest getting a reloading manual or two to help educate yourself. Norma, Hornady, Nosler and others offer these manuals and are great sources of information on the subject. I also would keep things simple when just starting out. One of the best reasons for doing your own hand loading, at least for me, is it allows you to use bullet-cartridge combinations not offered by ammunition manufacturers.

Great advice from dchamp. Good reloading manuals are the best source of information. I would add to his list for consideration the Sierra and Lyman manuals.

My forray into reloading started 50 years ago and with no-one to go to for advice etc my first action was to buy two reloading manuals, read and re-read the how to's at the front of the books and went from there with the 22-250 and then 7x57 but library has grown and cartridge types as well. One of the most rewarding aspects of shooting was to have empty brass to hand load again.

I dont know as I have fired a factory load in about 10 years. Reloading is more than just saving money. It is tailoring your load to exactly what you want it to do.

You want to make a .458 win mag into a .45-70? You can do that.

You want to push a .300 RUM as flat as it will possibly go to 300 yards for small vermin? A 110 grain spitzer at about 3,600fps? You can do that.

Buying a rifle chambered in .219 zipper? Make your brass from .30-30, neck turn it, and load and shoot to your hearts content.

You will save money as well if you buy "used" components. Buying woodleigh bullets from a user of AH for 75% of what they cost, then loading them in federal cases? You just made yourself 20 rounds of .416 Rigby that should have cost you $180 but only cost you $45. Plus they are likely tailor made to your rifle in terms of feeding, reliability and accuracy.

The benefits of reloading so far outweigh the costs that I am very surprised it isn't more popular than it is.

I didn't even know there was an ammunition shortage for like 4 months. You become your own ammunition factory.

As others have stated above, it is not particularly "difficult", just different. I started loading shotshell ammo under the watchful eye of my Dad when I was 10 years old. By the time I was 14 I was loading my own 270 ammo. That was 30 years ago. My advice to getting started is to get your hands on a few reloading manuals and read them at least twice. There is lots of knowledge to be gained on various forums as well. There is also a ton of good info on You Tube. Start out buying good quality equipment instead of cheaply made junk. And remember there is a difference between cheap and cheap made, you will figure out which is which fairly quickly. Also make it enjoyable for yourself. If you find it to be a chore to concentrate on loading because of a bad day at work or a family issue then walk away and come back another day. Good luck.

the cost savings aren't really that great, but, the quality of the ammo is worth it alone. Being able to use the bullets YOU want, and working on your loads until a 1/2" group becomes routine, those are the biggest advantages.

Plus, it opens up your world to new guns that are handload only options, like wildcats, obscure or factory forgotten chambers. Lots of great rifles sit on the gun tracks being ignored, often discounted. If you handload, those treasures can be yours!

Hi , just look for an opinion on the topic of reloading ur own ammunition. I have absolutely no experience, looking to start reloading 223 and 9mm ,maybe 270 as well . Is it an extremely difficult skill to learn and is it worth it ?
I echo all other comments. For me the key is patience and attention to detail. Never get in a hurry when reloading. Better to load a box correctly and perfectly than three boxes not done properly.

@Carter123
Reloading isn't difficult but you need patience and care. If you have access to a mentor that will help.
Read all you can about Reloading then read more.
WARNING RELOADING IS ADICTIVE.
once you start you will want to learn more and do more.

Absolutely worth it! I have been reloading for over 50 years now and enjoyed every minute. You will save money and produce better ammo along with a new hobby. What are you waiting for?
@Joker12
Initially you save money but you end up shooting more, always a good thing
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois