Making 404Jeffery Brass

Capt_Oscar

AH enthusiast
Joined
Sep 6, 2015
Messages
263
Reaction score
497
Location
Wisconsin, USA
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Canada, United States, South Africa
In these trying times where brass has become scarce. I want to keep my 404Jeffery headstamped brass for Africa. So I wanted to make my own. While there is a thread on these forums about forming 404J from 375H&H; the smarter choice is forming from cases that use 404J as the parent case. I'm referring to Remington's Ultra Mag lineup. The differences in case dimensions is completely negligible to the point your can simply run 375 RUM through your 404J full length sizing die (assuming you have a tapered expander button). Load and shoot. You'll see in my loaded cases where the neck/shoulder joint was on the 375RUM, in the pics showing the loaded rounds.
The only, very minor issue, is the formed case comes in at 2.840" which won't allow for crimping the bullet. However, the neck on the 404 is so long it really doesn't need a crimp (in my opinion). If you still wanted it crimped, send 3 fired cases to Hornady explaining you want a custom factory crimp die - not the standard 404J die and they can make it for you (at a nominal cost).
Next question: how is performance compared to actual 404J brass. Well, keeping the same overall load length I experienced no velocity difference and accuracy was quite good.
Isn't 375RUM just as hard to find as 404J brass?? No, actually ADG makes 375RUM brass at a really decent price. Significantly cheaper then 404J brass.
 
Loaded rounds
 

Attachments

  • 20250416_123318.jpg
    20250416_123318.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 188
Had some virgin RP brass to experiment with. I did lose 3 cases out of 26 due to miscalculations on my part.
 

Attachments

  • 20250416_123506.jpg
    20250416_123506.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
Can same be done from .300 RUM?
Yes, but coming up that far must be done in steps. Neck up to 0.338, anneal, neck up to 0.375, anneal, then full size for 404. If you try to do it in one shot you'll split a lot of case necks. Even 1 intermediate spot like going up to 0.375 and then 0.423 and you'll get very inconsistent neck wall thickness and still split quite a few.
 
100% spot on!
This is the route I will take if I get another 404. I don't plan on it, but you never know...

Regarding this subject, I often wonder just what happened to all of the 404 (or 405Win, 35Win, etc.) or any other brass for that matter? There must be a good quantity of fired brass out there somewhere but maybe folks have their fired brass tucked away not knowing that there is a shortage of newly manufactured brass - not sure.
 
I have 70rds of 404 Jeffery that you’ve just helped me to ID. Thank you. I initially thought they were .404 Kynoch, but they’re the manufacturer.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,311
Messages
1,572,544
Members
169,584
Latest member
RebekahH86
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top