magna porting?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I found a guy willing to sell me a used CZ 550 in 416 Rigby for a pretty good price but there is one thing that irks me a little. the barrel has been magna ported, im not really familiar with porting let alone what ever magna porting is.

what are your thoughts on a 416 Rigby with a magna ported barrel?

ive personally never been fond of ported guns cause they are hell on your and your partners ears but the deal is good enough for me to at least consider it.

thanks
-matt

Mag na port is a company that started by porting barrels, duh,, when a barrel is "mag-na-ported" there are trapezoidal cuts at the muzzle that divert gas to control muzzle jump. Same theory of space flight, rocket assists to counteract gravity, but in this case, rifle gases to counter muzzle jump.
There will be a SLIGHT loss in velocity, so slight as to probably fall within the standard deviation of loaded rounds. Noise? Matter of opinion, really. Muzzle brakes direct gas typically 360 degrees or 270 degrees for prone brakes. They act similiar in that the gas "stabilizes" the barrel by 360 degrees of pressure. Typical porting direct gas up and away.
In short, buy it. if you don't like the porting, you can always shorted the barrel.
One other issue, some people don't like cuts in the barrel, they say it allows dirt and debris in. I don't buy into that, but that's my personal opinion.

I have a 300 RUM that is magna ported and love it. I think is helps reduce the recoil a little and the additional noise is nothing close to a muzzle break on a barrel. If he is willing to sell you the 416 and you are interested, can you shoot it prior to purchase? if so, give it a couple of shots and make the decision then...if not, I would buy it, and if I did not like it, either rebarrel, shorten the barrel or re sale, but that all depends on the price point.

here is their web site....Mag-na-port International--The Mag-Na-Brake: Mag-na-porting Rifles

My 458 Win and 375 H&H are magna ported...I like it, it makes the gun more easier to shoot and it's not to hard on the ears.

I have a number of rifles and pistols Mag-N-Ported. I really like them. It does not effect your ears like a brake. It reduces recoil but not as much as a good brake. The trade-off for not killing your(and others) ears. I really like that it reduces muzzle flip. This allows me to not loose the target at the shot.
If I bought one not ported I would send it in and have it done before using it.

I really like that it reduces muzzle flip. This allows me to not loose the target at the shot.

I agree, it has help a lot shooting sabots with my Browning BPS shotgun. The muzzle flip use to be aweful....now not too bad. Helps accuracy too, I can hold the gun steadier.

Like others posted, Magna ports are trapezoidal slots cut parallel to the bore in the top portion of the barrel, near the muzzle. The trapezoidal shape was probably meticulously designed by their engineers, and is a great advertising point, but in reality, not too much shooting and not enough cleaning will make them just slots.

From Magna ports own advertising, they will reduce felt recoil by up to 15%, whereas a muzzle brake (which Magna port also make) will reduce felt recoil by up to 50%. The amount of recoil reduction (and noise) is basically determined by the area of the ports or holes.

The primary advantage of the Magna ports is in reducing muzzle jump which is accomplished by the ports being on the top of the barrel. The escaping gas pushes the barrel down. That is also a reason why Magna ports are not as loud as a muzzle brake -- the sound wave is directed up and not to the sides where other people might be standing.

IMO the Magna port slots are very cleanly cut and are not very noticeable on a barrel. If you are worried about dirt entering the barrel through the ports, a small strip of black electrical tape would seal the slots, and if you were that worried about dirt in the barrel, you would probably already have the tape covering the muzzle of your rifle. The tape will disappear when the gun is shot and it will not affect the flight of the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!