Lyman Great Plains rifle

Reaction score
Media
Evening gents I bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle from an estate today that appears unfired. It was still disassembled in the original box and the stickers had to be cut to open it.

I have used inline muzzle loaders but am not all that familiar with traditional ones could anyone suggest a safe starting load? I also purchased the deceased gentleman’s range gear. There is a flask measure ball starter nipple wrenches several hundred caps sealed and a jug of ffg. Besides balls and pillow ticking is there any thing else I need?

On a side not I’m cursed with the inability to own a blunderbuss, today makes the third time I’ve tried to purchase one that was in the estate and I’ve missed out on it every time. It sold about 45 minutes before I got there.

I’ve owned a Lyman Great Plains in .54 for roughly 35 years. A couple notes; it’s a slow twist round ball gun, the upper limit on recommended powder charge is lower than some, I.e. the TC Hawken.

Mine likes round balls and the old buffalo ball-ets, a mini designed for slow twist guns. I am comfortable with mine to 150 yards, 100 with round balls. If yours is a .54 I can help with some load ideas.

It is one of the most authentic production hawken replicas

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a good rifle. It won’t stabilize maxi’s but if you can find something like the old ball-et you’re in business.

My grandfather built flintlocks for many years and actually currently has one on the bench in his shop. Of the commercial cap and flintlock guns he always has regarded the great plains rifles from Lyman as good ones. Growing up I was taught for Goex powder at least to try 1.5x caliber ( bore diameter) as a load for pushing patched round ball. Some rifles would shoot better with five more or five less grains from there.

My grandfather built flintlocks for many years and actually currently has one on the bench in his shop. Of the commercial cap and flintlock guns he always has regarded the great plains rifles from Lyman as good ones. Growing up I was taught for Goex powder at least to try 1.5x caliber ( bore diameter) as a load for pushing patched round ball. Some rifles would shoot better with five more or five less grains from there.
Thanks that’s a very helpful and easy to remember formula.

I have an older cva mountain rifle that I built as a kit around 1978 or so that is .50 caliber, it has a slow twist also, I use .490 dia. Roundball, .010 or .015 patch, a plinking load is around 60 grains of 2f black powder, my hunting load is 90 grains of 2f, my may charge is somewhere at around 110 grains of 2f.

I have an older cva mountain rifle that I built as a kit around 1978 or so that is .50 caliber, it has a slow twist also, I use .490 dia. Roundball, .010 or .015 patch, a plinking load is around 60 grains of 2f black powder, my hunting load is 90 grains of 2f, my may charge is somewhere at around 110 grains of 2f.

I doubt that the Lyman max load is that high.

That would be about the same time period as the rifle I mentioned, the box is marked 1979

I recommend reading "The Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual".....available from several sources for about 20 bucks.......I have used this rifle for just over 40 years....should you have any problems when you prepare to shoot (I have encountered them all at some time I think)..........be happy to help................FWB

The 60 grain load that I use for plinking is very accurate, each rifle will have its sweet spot, and patch diameter, thickness, and type of lube can make a difference, all I have ever shot out of mine is real blackpowder, make sure your balls are pure lead, in the US track of the wolf in Minnesota is a good resource as well as Dixie Gun Works.

The 60 grain load that I use for plinking is very accurate, each rifle will have its sweet spot, and patch diameter, thickness, and type of lube can make a difference, all I have ever shot out of mine is real blackpowder, make sure your balls are pure lead, in the US track of the wolf in Minnesota is a good resource as well as Dixie Gun Works.

Hmmm, balls of pure lead…

I’ve got a long piece of lead sink drain that I melt to cast. I assume it’s pure lead but have never really tested it. Out of curiosity why would pure lead be of such important to these rifles? I thought people used wheel waits with no trouble?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois