Lufthansa

I would double check that. Most low cost carriers do not want to incur the expense of the license to carry firearms. There is a reason the vast majority of traveling hunters wind up on the same few airlines.
If they do carry guns with no issues it is good news for all involved!
They do allow firearms but require you to call in advance if booking directly through eurowings. Here is their statement in regards to firearms and sporting equipment when booked through a partner:

• For flights with our partner airlines, the regulations of the respective airline apply. These partner airlines currently include Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Condor, United Airlines, Air Canada and All Nippon Airways

I’m just speaking based on my experience. Others may have more to add, but the short answer is that you won’t have problems with eurowings if you have taken the proper steps through Lufthansa. I can’t vouch for other partners, or booking directly through eurowings.

I would double check that. Most low cost carriers do not want to incur the expense of the license to carry firearms. There is a reason the vast majority of traveling hunters wind up on the same few airlines.
If they do carry guns with no issues it is good news for all involved!
In case of Eurowings Discover (the 2nd part is important): it's the leisure airline of the Lufthansa group and they work under the same conditions. Used them already exactly for this reason.

I got my approved transit permit yesterday. Not bad on the time line it only took 19 days. So we are wheels up in 44 days.

I have a Lufthansa flight next month via Frankfurt. All booked together on a single ticket, but I have heard that if you are travelling with firearms, your baggage is not checked all the way through, but has to be checked out at Frankfurt and back in again. Anyone know if this is true?

I have real concerns about the timing, as I only have 1hr 25 mins between flights, both in the same terminal. Unfortunately, there were few options as my local airport has a policy of not dealing with firearms and the only other airport within 3 hours drive only has one flight a day to Frankfurt

I have a Lufthansa flight next month via Frankfurt. All booked together on a single ticket, but I have heard that if you are travelling with firearms, your baggage is not checked all the way through, but has to be checked out at Frankfurt and back in again. Anyone know if this is true?

I have real concerns about the timing, as I only have 1hr 25 mins between flights, both in the same terminal. Unfortunately, there were few options as my local airport has a policy of not dealing with firearms and the only other airport within 3 hours drive only has one flight a day to Frankfurt
I am under the impression that if transiting through Frankfurt (or Amsterdam) you must have a transfer license. Having never flown through Frankfurt, I assume that if you are needing a license they would check.

Last edited:
My baggage was checked all the way through both directions. Don't forget to apply for your transit permit. It takes approx 3 weeks

Thanks. I have applied for the transfer permit.

My baggage was checked all the way through both directions. Don't forget to apply for your transit permit. It takes approx 3 weeks
Thanks. Did you have to present the transfer permit in Frankfurt customs?

No, I did not have to show it to anyone but I am sure that they had it. You should not have to deal with the customs there as you will not be leaving the airport. Call the airline and have them add your rifle to your ticket as a second bag. It sounds like if you don’t they charge a lot for ”sporting goods” baggage.

Thanks. I have applied for the transfer permit.
Where are you starting from ? If in Europe and in possession of a EFP you don’t need the authorisation. Just call the service centre to advise them.
I have cut down my luggage to the bare minimum so nearly everything fits in a Peli 3100 and my large carryon.

No, I did not have to show it to anyone but I am sure that they had it. You should not have to deal with the customs there as you will not be leaving the airport. Call the airline and have them add your rifle to your ticket as a second bag. It sounds like if you don’t they charge a lot for ”sporting goods” baggage.
Exactly what I have done. Thank you

Where are you starting from ? If in Europe and in possession of a EFP you don’t need the authorisation. Just call the service centre to advise them.
I have cut down my luggage to the bare minimum so nearly everything fits in a Peli 3100 and my large carryon.
In the UK. I used to have an EFP but since we left the EU, it is no longer valid. I like your packing idea. My wife and I have managed to do the same

Looks like you got the answers....I just flew Lufthansa (Seattle/Joburg) last month and had no issues. You have your transfer permit, good. Did you tell them at the time of booking that you would have a firearm? if not, just call customer service and tell them and have it annotated on your booking. Other than the Transfer fee for Frankfurt, I had no other fees from Lufthansa or from South Africa.

Looks like you got the answers....I just flew Lufthansa (Seattle/Joburg) last month and had no issues. You have your transfer permit, good. Did you tell them at the time of booking that you would have a firearm? if not, just call customer service and tell them and have it annotated on your booking. Other than the Transfer fee for Frankfurt, I had no other fees from Lufthansa or from South Africa.
this is true. If you call ahead they will add “firearm” to your booking and it will not require the fee UNLESS you exceed the standard baggage weight/size limit, or your number of free checked bags. You will not be able to check in on the app once “firearm” is on your booking. Also, be sure to repeat the process on the way home. I forgot and checked my rifle and ammo in Namibia on the way home. When I got to Frankfurt they tried to hustle me for the firearm fee and an extra bag fee for the ammo. We got it straitened out without me having to pay, however.

It works ! The overall dimension, LxWxH must not exceed 158cm, not sure about inches.
Anyway myself and 3 guys travelling from Toronto via Frankfurt to Windhoek May 5th seem good to go under those conditions.
that total would rule out all pelicases, surely 158 must be the total length?

I took my rifle in a pelican case when I flew with them. No extra fees what so ever.

I took my rifle in a pelican case when I flew with them. No extra fees what so ever.
For Lufthansa here in Europe (Manchester to Zagreb via Munich) the fees are 80 Euros each way, total 160 Euros.

Some petulant girl on customer service said that the total combined measurements had to be under 158cms but that is for their standard hold baggage whereas sports equipment (think skis) are an exception surely as 158cms total would rule out just about every rifle flight case. My Peli totals about 200cms.

Luckily I spoke to a contact who said 12 of them flew last week with Lufthansa and all had pelicases the same size

How do you get on @Borderer ?

Thanks

This is strange. Twice (maybe three times) I have booked with layovers in Frankfurt and never had a transit permit. No problems. My guns just went through to my final destination flight. Guess I missed that transit permit in the regs. Long daytime layovers in the airport. Never been an issue. Wonder how I missed that? I really looked hard when doing my homework. Not hard enough I guess.

For Lufthansa here in Europe (Manchester to Zagreb via Munich) the fees are 80 Euros each way, total 160 Euros.

Some petulant girl on customer service said that the total combined measurements had to be under 158cms but that is for their standard hold baggage whereas sports equipment (think skis) are an exception surely as 158cms total would rule out just about every rifle flight case. My Peli totals about 200cms.

Luckily I spoke to a contact who said 12 of them flew last week with Lufthansa and all had pelicases the same size

How do you get on @Borderer ?

Thanks
No issues. The permit didn’t arrive, but I called Frankfurt police, who issued it whilst I was on the phone.

We checked the firearms in at Newcastle - they were absolutely superb there and didn’t see anything until we got to Windhoek.

All very straightforward.

There was some confusion as to whether the rifle case counted as a checked in bag or not at Windhoek on the way back but it seemed to be easily resolved. I think that there was some major computer issue, as there seemed to be a lot of confusion and the flight was delayed. I got the impression that the issues was nothing to do with the ground staff in Windhoek though. They were all very helpful.

I was astounded at the professional attitude of anyone we met in Namibia with any authority. No hint of corruption or anything other than a desire to do a good job. Same for traffic police. It really is an impressive country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross