Lost rifle help please

gillettehunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
5,339
Reaction score
10,737
Location
WYOMING
Media
140
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
11
USA/Canada
9
Asia/M.East
2
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
So I started to post a teaser the other day. I'm back in Kyrgyzstan on one of my dream hunts. Marco Polo and Ibex. Long story short I got here, but my rifle didn't.... After 7 hours they still can't even tell me where my rifle is. I'm starting to get a little nervous. OK a lot.... Already cost me 10. Percent of my hunt. I'm not sure I just want to wait till tomorrow to see if it shows up. That seems to be the attitude I'm running into. I'd like to raise some hell if it might help. Any ideas? Thanks. Bruce
 
Your best shot is to have someone at home contacting your airline and have them follow-up on the baggage (based on the tag).
Otherwise, likely they missed the connections somewhere during your trip and will arrive with the next plane

Good luck!
 
Good luck with the rifle and the hunt Bruce! I might very well be in Kyrgystan for a hunt with a very good friend in September. Please let us know if the rifle turns up and if we can contact anybody for you from this side. Guess its a lot easier for us to get a hold of somebody than you.
Let us know if we can do anything for you.
 
I have given my wife the details and asked her to call. 80 percent chance it shows up tomorrow and I only lose 1 day. My company is very confident in the winter hunts. Likely have both animals in 4-5 days. Then we get to do some wolf hunting for free! Brought some predator calls to see if that helps any.
I also filed complaints with the FAA, Turkish Air and United. First flight United and last 2 Turkish air. I pleaded for immediate action and not something next week. We'll see. If anyone knows a specific someone to call...... My wife can do it. Keeping my fingers crossed. Bruce
 
Sorry to hear that Bruce.
That sucks.

Here is a tool to try and track it yourself.

Not the airlines website, an alternative.

Turkish Airlines - Track Baggage


With the plane changes you made it likely got left on the baggage wagon. I'll bet it arrives late.

If not, borrow a rifle and go get hunting.
 
That really sucks. I don't know what to say. Even though I would be far more comfortable with the long shots probable on that hunt with my own gun, I would certainly be looking really hard for a loaner at this point. Does the outfitter have anything he can supply?

This is certainly the nightmare of everyone who travels to hunt. Especially on such an important hunt. Sorry to hear it.
 
With very few incoming flights to Manas it certainly limits the ability to quickly get lost baggage to you.
 
Sorry to hear Bruce, hope it shows up quickly! Don't let it affect your journey, it's all part of it.
 
Sorry to hear Bruce, hope it shows up quickly! Don't let it affect your journey, it's all part of it.

Now you will be able to say "This is Kyrgystan" "TIK" vs "This Is Africa"

Good luck.
 
Sorry to hear of the problem. Hope your rifle makes it in and that you get a great MP and MAI.

All the best.
 
It happened to me last year, missed connection. Thankfully it was on the way home.

Wish you the best of luck !
 
Sorry to hear of the problem. Hope your rifle makes it in and that you get a great MP and MAI.

All the best.

Yup, turn that MIA into a MAI. LOL
 
Yup, turn that MIA into a MAI. LOL

+1 Ditto.

Diamondhitch, how were the Kyrgs rifles when you were there. Do you remember what make rifle, caliber and scopes they had? Did they seem to be decent for a loaner?

If I lost rifles going to Africa I wouldn't be to concerned.....Kyrgyzstan I would have worries. Especially since shots seem like they might be longer.
 
+1 Ditto.

Diamondhitch, how were the Kyrgs rifles when you were there. Do you remember what make rifle, caliber and scopes they had? Did they seem to be decent for a loaner?

If I lost rifles going to Africa I wouldn't be to concerned.....Kyrgyzstan I would have worries. Especially since shots seem like they might be longer.

I know we discussed guns a bit but since our guns arrived with us, I didn't put much thought into it. Ours were the only guns in camp.
 
I know we discussed guns a bit but since our guns arrived with us, I didn't put much thought into it. Ours were the only guns in camp.

Scary....Hope Gillette got his rifles then.
 
Scary....Hope Gillette got his rifles then.

No, they owned guns and hunted themselves. Im sure things would work out fine using theirs.
We each brought 2 guns so there was no need for the outfitter to bring any backup rifles, plus space is at a premium when travelling so a 5th gun would have used up space for no reason on my hunt.
 
No, they owned guns and hunted themselves. Im sure things would work out fine using theirs.
We each brought 2 guns so there was no need for the outfitter to bring any backup rifles, plus space is at a premium when travelling so a 5th gun would have used up space for no reason on my hunt.

Thanks. I understand the situation better now.
 
I hope the silence is a good thing and Bruce is off hunting.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,890
Members
169,462
Latest member
EaoacoYroacn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top