Looking For A 404 Jeffery

Spartan5

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 18, 2021
Messages
464
Reaction score
913
Location
Midwest USA
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, GOA Member
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a retirement gift for my father. He has always wanted a 404 Jeffery. I was close to getting one earlier this year from another member here, but it was across the pond and the Bureau denied the application to import it. So, anyone have one they are willing to part with? Please let me know if you do, I would like to find one. Thank you.
 
Good 404's are hard to find at a reasonable price right now for sure. Gunsinternational has a few listed but the condition and pricing is all over the place. Good builders aren't even taking on more work so can't even get one made, just went through that. Sportsmans Legacy has an interesting Mauser that has been re-barreled to 404, they want too much for it but you may be able to talk them down. Good Luck-
 
I am curious as to why the "Bureau" denied the application to import? I have imported guns from Europe using a service that takes care of all the paper work, etc. Never had a problem.
 
I am curious as to why the "Bureau" denied the application to import? I have imported guns from Europe using a service that takes care of all the paper work, etc. Never had a problem.
The one I was trying to import had been converted to a 404 from a British military rifle. I was using a service to import, but the letter we received back stated that since it was a modified military rifle they would not allow the import.

We tried to file an appeal that was also denied.
 
What is your budget?
I would like to be in a $3k range, but I am not sure I will be able to find one for that. Not that I could not go higher for the right rifle, just what I had in mind initially.
 
A few years ago, I found a Win Mod 70 in 300 RUM and had Dennis Olsen in Montana convert it to a 404J. The RUM cartridges use the 404J as the parent cartridge, so that makes it a good candidate for conversion. I ordered a Krieger barrel (8 months delivery) and Dennis did the rest.

Winchesters in RUM are hard to come by these days. Lots of Remingtons available.

Midway has Remington 700 actions in 300 RUM available. Lots of custom rifles use the Remington actions or derivations of them. However, for a DG rifle in 404J, you'll open yourself up to ridicule from a little over half of the AH members. I'm actually taking quite a risk even mentioning this as as option. :giggle:


Call Dennis Olsen up and see what he thinks.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.49 PM.png
    578.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.54 PM.png
    650.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    834.9 KB · Views: 159
If you are still in the market, please email me at [redacted]. I may have your rifle? Also 120 rounds of 400 gr Dangerous Game Hornady ammo. 60 solid 60 lead core

I have not placed the rifle for sell, but looks as though my African hunt will not materialize any time soon. Someone should use the rifle for its intended purpose. I have already sold the 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Not really sure why I keep hanging on to this one. I guess a wish and a prayer.

FYI, Montana Rifle, Trijicon 1-4 scope, plus ammo will not fit in your $3,000 budget.

Contact me if you want information.
 
If you are still in the market, please email me at [redacted]. I may have your rifle? Also 120 rounds of 400 gr Dangerous Game Hornady ammo. 60 solid 60 lead core

I have not placed the rifle for sell, but looks as though my African hunt will not materialize any time soon. Someone should use the rifle for its intended purpose. I have already sold the 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Not really sure why I keep hanging on to this one. I guess a wish and a prayer.

FYI, Montana Rifle, Trijicon 1-4 scope, plus ammo will not fit in your $3,000 budget.

Contact me if you want information.
Hi @Stan Smith, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,400
Members
169,747
Latest member
nexttanebir1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top