Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Australian Deer Association,
Hunted
RSA, New Zealand.
I was out for a walk one afternoon and stumbled onto this, the red mud wallow that I nearly dismissed as a wombat hole when I first saw it in the binoculars was what led me to the game trail that I followed to find all of this in a secluded gully.
Sambarhunter and Bluey please give me all the advise you have on hunting an area like this, the wallows and scrapes run for about 150mts down the gully. I did leave a couple of well hidden cameras overlooking the wallows from a distance.
IMGP1038.JPG
IMGP1018.JPG
IMGP1019.JPG
IMGP1020.JPG
IMGP1037.JPG

IMGP1011.JPG
IMGP1011.JPG

It looks like a wallow, were animals go to roll in mud and urine and get all scented up just elk have here in the USA.

I'd say that area looks promising. Your trail cameras should show you the level of activity over a week or two. What types of animals have you seen in this area previously? What types of animals have your "mates" seen in this area?

I was out for a walk one afternoon and stumbled onto this, the red mud wallow that I nearly dismissed as a wombat hole when I first saw it in the binoculars was what led me to the game trail that I followed to find all of this in a secluded gully.
Sambarhunter and Bluey please give me all the advise you have on hunting an area like this, the wallows and scrapes run for about 150mts down the gully. I did leave a couple of well hidden cameras overlooking the wallows from a distance.View attachment 203384 View attachment 203385 View attachment 203381 View attachment 203382 View attachment 203383
View attachment 203380 View attachment 203380
Looks promising. Depends where your photos were taken / maybe sambar or other deer such as fallow or deer.

Looks like a promising wallow! Id be staying near that place looking for something to come in!

Yes sir something is in there a lot. Do you have wild pigs in the area?

Looks pretty damned promising to me. I'd like to see the buck that was taking that large diameter tree on for a rub!

Self climbing tree stand twenty meters off the trail on the down wind side and wait with your newly purchased bow. Take pictures of the nice trophy you take on the second day of waiting. :)

Good luck.

What Brickburn said. Be careful to not leave to much human scent around as you scout it. Stay downwind as much as possible to hunt it. Good luck. Bruce

Chris the red wallow is what I call a piss wallow where they keep it wet with piss,more than one stag using it too.I would have a cam on it. Nice and fresh,the dark wallows run looks like it has a bit of use too.
The scrape is indeed a deer scrape with small rub to the left and presumably it is under a preaching tree,usually a leaning tree.
The string/messmate tree with the bark all scarfed up isnt deer damage mate it has been caused by roo`s,wombats do the same but on a lower level. Its used like a cat scratch pole for their claws,don`t worry many new chums make the same mistake.
I`m emailing you shortly with a pic re the other matter in a little while.
Meanwhile here are a few sambar visiting a preach pad.

spikey%20nice%204_zpsmoypmlbe.jpg

trio%20sept_zpsskpvxgrh.jpg

spikey%20nice%203_zps6asys3co.jpg

Attachments

• spikey%20nice%203_zps6asys3co.jpg
    spikey%20nice%203_zps6asys3co.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 172
  • trio%20sept_zpsskpvxgrh.jpg
    trio%20sept_zpsskpvxgrh.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 166
  • spikey%20nice%204_zpsmoypmlbe.jpg
    spikey%20nice%204_zpsmoypmlbe.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for that education.

Note to self. If "Roo's" invade Canada watch for this. It's not a midget Bear.

-1.jpg

OK: Preach Pad = Scrape

Whitetail deer Scrape
white-tailed_buck_working_mock_scrape_121107_01.jpg

Elk Wallow.

DSC02814.jpg

Thanks Sambarhunter.
I have cameras on both the big scrape and the Red wallow, you are quite correct there is a leaning tree over the scrape but it is out of frame. The messmate tree rubs had me fooled as the whole area is surrounded by about half a dozen of them, if you look in the background of the 1st pic you can see one of them. The 2nd and 3rd pic are of the same area one looking down hill the other looking uphill, the rubbed messmate in both is the same tree.
I have only been there once and I didn't hang around too long just long enough to place my cameras about 10 meters away, it doesn't look it but it was pretty wet that afternoon raining on and off and it rained pretty heavily later on and overnight. There is a spot where I can sit and overlook the Red wallow from slightly above and about 200mts away, the other area is a bit tighter and you would need to be less than 100mts away to see it very well.
Im looking forward to getting back there and waiting over the red wallow, and seeing what my cameras tell me.

So when can you shoot one of these deer?

Brickburn, in Victoria where they are there is no set season,bag limit or sex restriction, as long as you have the correct game license and are hunting in the correct place using legal methods, you can shoot one whenever you see one.
Having said that seeing one can be the real challenge, they are very quiet and don't roar or bugle, they can be in hard antler at any time of year and they have unbelievable hearing and sense of smell. I am sure Sambarhunter will tell you exactly how hard they can be to hunt, he has been hunting them far longer than I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg