Longbow setup for plains game

Tradbow

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
I was invited on a hunt with RW Safaris next June. And I’m wanting to take just my longbow. I know I can get all of the answers from the outfitter. But I would like to hear feedback from guys that have already been.
The bow I want to take is a 64” longbow thats 42@29”. This is my standard bow for deer. And I’m shooting woods out of it with 125 grain Ace standards. I want to be ready for my trip. So any advice or tips you vets of Africa want to share I’m all ears.
Thank you
 
On my second trip to Africa, hunting in the Limpopo, I took my longbow as well. Mine was also a 64 inch bow but pulled 65 lbs. at 27 inches. I was using Goldtip Traditional carbon arrows with 145 grain Magnus Journeyman broadheads. Shot a couple of Impala, and a Nyala with it. No problem with any of them, just remember to shoot tight to the shoulder.

The only issue I had was trying to shoot from the elevated and pit blinds, through the narrow-slotted shooting windows. The windows screwed with my depth / yardage perception to the targets. Fortunately, I took a set of 3-D leafy camouflage and a Ghille suit type poncho along. The PH & trackers built me a brush blind beside the shooting house to sit behind while wearing the camo/ghille. PH sat in the elevated blind and we used two-way radios with mine having an earbud. He would tell me what was coming to the waterhole, from what direction, and whether or not it was worth taking a shot at. Had to move extremely slow behind the blind to get a shot. Most of the animals spooked before I could come to full draw, but I did manage to get a few. Lot's of fun.

I would definitely take it.
 
I was invited on a hunt with RW Safaris next June. And I’m wanting to take just my longbow. I know I can get all of the answers from the outfitter. But I would like to hear feedback from guys that have already been.
The bow I want to take is a 64” longbow thats 42@29”. This is my standard bow for deer. And I’m shooting woods out of it with 125 grain Ace standards. I want to be ready for my trip. So any advice or tips you vets of Africa want to share I’m all ears.
Thank you

Sounds like really great fun and I have deep respect for your method. The things I'd keep in mind:

1.) You ought to have a heavier broadhead for Africa in my opinion. This is odd thinking for many compound bow archers, but stick bow archers tend towards heavy broadheads.

2.) Height in the blind. Make sure you can actually draw your bow in the blinds that your operator has built.

3.) Distance to the watering hole or bait. Some of the African critters are very nervous and they can place the blinds 40 or even 50 yards from the blind. Check into this because I don't know many stick bow archers that feel comfortable with shots that far.
 
I suggest making sure your outfitter work with traditional bowhunters first. Some do, some, don't. If so, find out their stand set ups. The waterhole blinds I've been in were usually 20-30 yards. Also, as mentioned, find out the size of the blinds. A couple I was in wouldn't have worked with a long bow or recurve due to it's short ceiling. Possibly look into E. Donnell Thomas' book Double Helix: Bowhunting African Plains Game. He's hunted with trad gear extensively, I'm sure there's some good info there.
 
Thank you for all the replies. But unfortunately that trip fell through. So now I’m on the search for a trip for just me and my wife. So now the question is as a trad hunter what outfits would you recommend?
 
Super happy to see a question about trad! Nice! Have a look at The Push on YouTube, he is currently dropping some vids of his recent trip with Red Sands Safaris. What makes this particularly interesting is that the Outfitter/Owner/PH is a trad shooter and has set his property up specifically for trad.
 
I suggest making sure your outfitter work with traditional bowhunters first. Some do, some, don't. If so, find out their stand set ups. The waterhole blinds I've been in were usually 20-30 yards. Also, as mentioned, find out the size of the blinds. A couple I was in wouldn't have worked with a long bow or recurve due to its short ceiling. Possibly look into E. Donnell Thomas' book Double Helix: Bowhunting African Plains Game. He's hunted with trad gear extensively, I'm sure there's some good info there.
Love that book!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,870
Members
169,453
Latest member
PollyCosgr
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top