Long time project

pmangelos

AH member
Joined
Mar 6, 2024
Messages
22
Reaction score
150
Location
California
Media
3
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
RSA
I’ve always wanted to have a rifle stocked in Olive wood, I’m Greek and in September 2016 I traveled back to the island that we’re from. I visited a cabinet maker in hopes of getting a blank to turn into a stock as olive wood pieces here stateside are virtually nonexistent in the size needed for a rifle. Here’s a picture of the said cabinet maker cutting down a piece of wood from a recently harvested olive tree.
 

Attachments

  • 20160930_113315.jpeg
    20160930_113315.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Many years later I came arias a great deal on a Cooper 17hmr that I thought would be appropriate for the olive wood, as olive isn’t a traditional stock making wood I didn’t want a rifle that would test its recoil absorbing ability. So I sent the stock out for inletting and once it returned I finished the stock and had it checkered. I’m pretty pleased with the results. Olive wood does have its quirks that prevent it from being really proper for this sort of project, there were a lot of inclusions in the wood so I had to fill those with epoxy, but overall most people wouldn’t notice. So goes my decade long project.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6176.jpeg
    IMG_6176.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6178.jpeg
    IMG_6178.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6173.jpeg
    IMG_6173.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6171.jpeg
    IMG_6171.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6170.jpeg
    IMG_6170.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
I agree that olive wood is beautiful. What I don't know is how resistant it is to splitting under recoil. If it were mine, I would have a hidden metal rod to shore up the pistol grip area against splitting and maybe even a cross bolt just behind the recoil lug, like on a heavy rifle--all just for a little insurance and peace of mind.
Lovely idea which has crossed my mind in the past. Glad to see you have done it!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,335
Members
169,525
Latest member
NatashaU03
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top