Lockable Ammo Case?

VanderLaan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Quail Forever, NAVHDA
Looking for something for that I can use to put my ammo in for my upcoming trip to SA. The only lockable case I can find are the dry boxes that hold 200 rounds of ammo. What do you guys use?

What i use is a lockable pistol case.

it will hold up to 6 boxes of ammo.

i take out the foam on one side and travel with 2 to 3 boxes of ammo.

i put my hearing protection and knife in the case..

Looking for something for that I can use to put my ammo in for my upcoming trip to SA. The only lockable case I can find are the dry boxes that hold 200 rounds of ammo. What do you guys use?

I decided to get a new lockable for the next trip.
I purchased a Pelican 1200

Box and Ammunition Weights
Pelican 1200 Empty
1210 Grams

130 grain PSP .270 Corelokt Box of 20
544 Grams

7 Boxes
3808 Grams

Plastic Box for reloads
98 Grams

Remington Cardboard and Plastic Holder
46 Grams

20- 130grain psp Coreloks Bullets (alone)
496 Grams

7 Boxes fit in the Pelican
Total 140 Rounds 5018 Grams

I am going to take out a few bullets to get to the 5000 Gram limit.
This box is a little heavy and you can get some lighter.

Taking two rifles with several people using them.
That is why the arsenal of ammunition, by the way.

lockable metal cash box at Wal Mart

About 10 bucks

When you leave, leave your ammo with your PH as well as the case

You can buy another case for the next trip, your PH will appreciate the ammo, if it doesn't fit with any of his rifles I suspect he will be able to trade it for some that does...

win win no hassle solution:chaplin:

lockable metal cash box at Wal Mart

About 10 bucks

We used one of these trip. It worked until the airline decided it could not be in checked baggage.
Then it came out on a carousel broken open after smashing into various corners.
Not this time.

Good idea to leave ammo behind if someone can use it.

Brick

Well that's not a good situation

What was the hub bub about leaving it in your checked bag?

I mean come on airlines...

You don't want it packed in the gun case

You don't want it in a locked box inside of checked bags

Now you want it in a small separate checked case so you can loose it easier (and charge extra for a 3d bag)

It obviously can't be in your carry on

It just gets insane!

I do know where I'd like to put it but its 11 kg and a long flight .....anyway

Flew to Namibia through Germany. I used a lockable plano case which I put in my check bag. It weighed 10lbs on the bathroom scales with 5 boxes. Nobody checked it coming or going. They did ask a the Namibian airport how much I was taking home.

MTM Survivor Dry Box from Midway holds 3 boxes of .30-06 size cartridges or 2 boxes of .375 size. Strong, inexpensive, and lockable with a TSA lock. TSA opened mine to have a peek inside.

As info we are not to use TSA locks or TSA lockable cases while traveling...

At times you will run into a agent that will make you take your ammo box out and ship separate. That is why i went with a lockable pistol case...have your tags on the case prior to putting in your checked bag...

I have had mine weighted and inspected with in the past 2 years so it does happen.

When my ammo was weighted i was allowed to put it back in my checked bag after i showed them the lock for that bag... if not it would have went separate...

At times you will run into a agent that will make you take your ammo box out and ship separate. That is why i went with a lockable pistol case...have your tags on the case prior to putting in your checked bag...

I have had mine weighted and inspected with in the past 2 years so it does happen.

When my ammo was weighted i was allowed to put it back in my checked bag after i showed them the lock for that bag... if not it would have went separate...

James did they weigh just the ammo separately or the entire box with ammo inside?

TSA opened my locked ammo boxes that were inside of my locked luggage, so having a TSA lock on the ammo case is a good thing. My rifle case gets a non-TSA lock.

case and ammo were weighted. i only had 3 boxes of ammo about 5 lbs..

James did they weigh just the ammo separately or the entire box with ammo inside?

that is fine and good if they let you keep your ammo in your travel bag... however if you have to ship separately you will need another lock...then what do you do...

TSA opened my locked ammo boxes that were inside of my locked luggage, so having a TSA lock on the ammo case is a good thing. My rifle case gets a non-TSA lock.

case and ammo were weighted. i only had 3 boxes of ammo about 5 lbs..

Thats what I was worried about . The law says 11lb of ammo not 11lb of ammo including a 3 1/2 lb pelican case. Still if push came to shove, right or wrong the TSA agent would be right. I was real close this year with 3 boxes of .257 WBY and 3 boxes of .338 Lapua.

Thanks James

Thats what I was worried about . The law says 11lb of ammo not 11lb of ammo including a 3 1/2 lb pelican case. Still if push came to shove, right or wrong the TSA agent would be right. I was real close this year with 3 boxes of .257 WBY and 3 boxes of .338 Lapua.

Thanks James

Everything I have read illustrates they will weigh both and consider the aggregate weight to 5.0 Kg.
I just hate arguing the law with people in uniforms on a holiday. It gets tiring really fast.
Then you have to trust them not to be passive aggressive with your luggage.
Oops... it got lost.

No TSA locks here, only the owner is to have keys to open the case. I use pistol case also.

In 2008 we had to take our ammo out of check bag and put in rifle case, who would of thought but SA agent wanted it that way and we obliged.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"A Dream can be relived, again and again in Africa".

I have a metal flight case with two combination locks. I guess that would have to have a TSA lock and cable around it?? Also would that just go in the hold on its own or would I have to try and get into my rather small bag that I would take (20lt day sack)

I have a metal flight case with two combination locks. I guess that would have to have a TSA lock and cable around it?? Also would that just go in the hold on its own or would I have to try and get into my rather small bag that I would take (20lt day sack)

We used small metal container on our first trip and they were thrown onto the baggage carousel and just about fell apart. How the heck that was OK I have no idea.
Never again....

As long as the Ammo is secure inside and can not be damaged by the handlers your own locks will be fine.

Another thread on the subject.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/packing-ammo-for-flight.15898/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg