Living in Texas?

Lol. Growing up on the Louisiana Gulf coast, anything below 60% humidity is darn near arid - I am not kidding. We keep the inside of our house around 50% year round - Better for art, antique furniture, and taxidermy. Your chart considers a late October day in San Antonio to be oppressive or muggy a quarter of the time - not buying it. But I will absolutely accept the notion that my perception is different. Would be interesting to know what humidity percentages constitute their bands. And of course annual precipitation rates and timing must affect the chart to some extent.

But you obviously feel about moisture in the air, the way I do about snow. I think you are looking for something in Arizona or anywhere along the eastern slope of the Rockies. I hear houses are still a bargain in Las Vegas following the recession (y)

@Red Leg, I've got the same question about the profile(s). The one where I currently live is reasonably accurate. It is humid here (Connecticut) during the summer. Although the air doesn't move much either. And I don't like it (the humidity)! I lived the vast majority of my life in the desert (Southern Utah, Southern Idaho) were humidity is unheard of, ever. And I do like it! My wife's searches turned up states that are 'tax friendly' (relatively speaking). Texas is one of them. Others on the list are New Hampshire, Florida, Idaho, Arizona, Washington State, Wyoming, Alaska, and maybe a few others. New Hampshire is great in terms of 'tax friendly, but it is pretty far north (cold) and I would rather deal with the snakes in Texas than the freakin' ticks in New England. Wyoming and Idaho are too 'isolated' and barren for my wife. Alaska, forget about it - too far north, way too far north. Florida is too humid (I guess). That leaves Texas, Arizona and Washington State. Arizona is too hot, except for the Flagstaff area and there is not enough real estate there to be a great option. Plus it snows FEET there annually. Washington State is a contender in the Spokane area (forget the west side of the mountains, been there done that, ain't happening again). And Texas.....

You are right about the deer.

And if you like the gray/brown tones of the color pallet, you will love it there eight months out of the year. :)

And we also are pretty well armed down here.
It is pretty gray and brown but them black dots by the timber are turkeys
0406181651a.jpg

I share your loathing of ticks. During the eleven years we were in Northern Virginia my spouse contracted Lyme Disease twice. Of course, the first time took forever to diagnose it and she suffered some minor nerve damage to her eyes (the pupils now form an hourglass shape when dilated - creepy). We lived on four acres outside Leesburg and it was alive with deer ticks (and suburban deer). Just working in the yard required a thorough check when done. In the four years we have been here (living in the country with real deer), we have seen exactly two wood ticks and never a deer tick. However, we do have the occasional rattlesnake. (n)

I have lived in Florida. You would be miserable there nine months out of the year. And you are correct about Arizona. Flagstaff is lovely, but you might as well be living on Lake Erie. True desert doesn't appeal to me very much. There are still real estate deals to be had in Vegas - it hasn't fully recovered from the recession. I just could not imagine living there.

Last edited:
@lpace , one guy you might want to PM is @JES Adventures. I believe he is hunting in Uganda right now, but he is in ranch real estate business, somewhere in central Texas. You could move to Texas, buy a small ranch and invite all us AH folks over to talk about the humidity. :)

@lpace , one guy you might want to PM is @JES Adventures. I believe he is hunting in Uganda right now, but he is in ranch real estate business, somewhere in central Texas. You could move to Texas, buy a small ranch and invite all us AH folks over to talk about the humidity. :)
I'll bring the Shiner Bock (the real National Beer of Texas). Nothing better with which to fight Texas humidity.

Or better yet go hog hunting!! Hint Hint

I share your loathing of ticks. During the eleven years we were in Northern Virginia my spouse contracted Lyme Disease twice. Of course, the first time took forever to diagnose it and she suffered some minor nerve damage to her eyes (the pupils now form an hourglass shape when dilated - creepy). We lived on four acres outside Leesburg and it was alive with deer ticks (and suburban deer). Just working in the yard required a thorough check when done. In the four years we have been here (living in the country with real deer), we have seen exactly two wood ticks and never a deer tick. However, we do have the occasional rattlesnake. (n)

I have lived in Florida. You would be miserable there nine months out of the year. And you are correct about Arizona. Flagstaff is lovely, but you might as well be living on Lake Erie. True desert doesn't appeal to me very much. There are still real estate deals to be had in Vegas - it hasn't fully recovered from the recession. I just could not imagine living there.

Vegas ain't happening. No way, no how. When I said I grew up in the desert, I meant the high desert. There was winter there and the whole deal. Vegas, nope. My wife is currently looking at real estate and she says to get 10 acres in our price range (no mortgage), we need to be south and east of Dallas. I have no idea what that means in terms of living conditions. One of her past bosses lived in Dallas and Houston and reported that the difference between the two was night and day. Although the weather profiles don't indicate a huge difference. Thus all of these questions. And I really do appreciate the responses. I'm certainly game to pony up a chilled beverage (or two) on a recognizance mission to battle the humidity. :)

The area south and east of Dallas is Lovely. Looks a lot like Virginia with horse farms and broken woodland. Winter will be moderate compared to what you now know and there are some lovely towns in that area. Nacogdoches is a beautiful little college town on the edge of the "Piney Woods" though humidity will be an issue. Longview is also pretty town, and like most in Texas, is growing. It is also a closer run to the DFW metroplex.

However, I think Tyler is even prettier and is more convenient to Dallas. It is considered the Rose Capital of Texas (I sound like a member of the chamber of commerce). It is large enough to have first rate medical facilities (important to we pensioners). It is also becoming a bit of a technological center with a growing economy. It would be my choice in that region. I am confident you could find a 10-20 acre place in the area at reasonable cost compared to the Northeast.

South and East of Dallas

Tyler, Athens (yes there really is an Athens Tx) Mineola, Van, Longview. These are all beautiful east Tx towns.

Dang it is snowing here which is hard to believe.

Yeah, I got to shovel snow yesterday too! It was absolutely freakin' delightful!!:A Bang Head:

The area south and east of Dallas is Lovely. Looks a lot like Virginia with horse farms and broken woodland. Winter will be moderate compared to what you now know and there are some lovely towns in that area. Nacogdoches is a beautiful little college town on the edge of the "Piney Woods" though humidity will be an issue. Longview is also pretty town, and like most in Texas, is growing. It is also a closer run to the DFW metroplex.

However, I think Tyler is even prettier and is more convenient to Dallas. It is considered the Rose Capital of Texas (I sound like a member of the chamber of commerce). It is large enough to have first rate medical facilities (important to we pensioners). It is also becoming a bit of a technological center with a growing economy. It would be my choice in that region. I am confident you could find a 10-20 acre place in the area at reasonable cost compared to the Northeast.

Access to an airport is a consideration, particularly for my wife (she is from Montreal, her family is still there). The thing that concerns me, and I hate to be a broken record, is the humidity. Is there some demarkation line on a map that would give a rough estimate of 'stay north and/or west of that line' to minimize humidity?

The 10-20 acres is my wife's attempt to allow me a little hunting without the cost of a hunting lease (which I hear often is the order of business for hunting in Texas). As with all things Texas, I have no idea if that is anything approaching realistic or not....

Agreed, first rate medical facilities are also a consideration. This getting old business, although preferable to the alternative, is a pain - literally!

Access to an airport is a consideration, particularly for my wife (she is from Montreal, her family is still there). The thing that concerns me, and I hate to be a broken record, is the humidity. Is there some demarkation line on a map that would give a rough estimate of 'stay north and/or west of that line' to minimize humidity?

The 10-20 acres is my wife's attempt to allow me a little hunting without the cost of a hunting lease (which I hear often is the order of business for hunting in Texas). As with all things Texas, I have no idea if that is anything approaching realistic or not....

Agreed, first rate medical facilities are also a consideration. This getting old business, although preferable to the alternative, is a pain - literally!

Very roughly, I'd say west of I-35 is drier and east of I-35 is wetter or more humid. Take a look at this website for all the lake levels in Texas. Most of the lakes in the eastern half of Texas are full and the western half, not so much. https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

With humidity being a big issue for you, have you thought about moving to Namibia? Beautiful weather and very dry climate. Great hunting, nice people and excellent beer! :)

Very roughly, I'd say west of I-35 is drier and east of I-35 is wetter or more humid. Take a look at this website for all the lake levels in Texas. Most of the lakes in the eastern half of Texas are full and the western half, not so much. https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

With humidity being a big issue for you, have you thought about moving to Namibia? Beautiful weather and very dry climate. Great hunting, nice people and excellent beer! :)
I wouldn't mind living in Namibia for awhile. The ph I hunted there with offered me a place to stay in the off season but never got around to talking price. Don't think Anita could be away from her daughter's that long

The area around Lubbock should be drier. I myself kind of like semiarid places.

After my first trip to Namibia I was ready to take up residence there. The complete lack of humidity there was certainly noticeable! I do like the beer there as well. :)

You are right about the deer.

And if you like the gray/brown tones of the color pallet, you will love it there eight months out of the year. :)

And we also are pretty well armed down here.
@lwaters has his own little piece of Eastern Kansas Heaven right there;)

It is pretty gray and brown but them black dots by the timber are turkeysView attachment 224015
Here's what them black dots look like against grey and white tones.:confused:
20180225_164355.jpg

My driveway after being gone for a while:cool:

And lots of whitetail also..... if the damned wolves don't eat them all....100 yards off my driveway.:mad:
20180404_174217.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois