www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
I’ve talked about it before but I got a 1981 Browning Superpose in .30-06 in April 2020. It has a regulation quirk that I solve by shooting a 150-grain bullet in the under barrel and a 180-grain load in the over barrel. I know that would drive some of you crazy and I didn’t like it at first either but I quickly got comfortable with my new reality. Of course the price of dealing with this quirk is that I have to keep the cartridges for the under barrel identifiably different from those for the over barrel. I lucked into that too.

Nosler makes three great 180 loads – one with a Partition bullet, one with a Ballistic Tip, and one with an Accubond so I buy the 180 grain loads from Nosler in the traditional brass casing.

Federal loads Nosler bullets in two loads: a 150-grain Accubond and a 150-grain Ballistic Tip both in their Premium line. The neat thing is that they use a nickel-plated casing. So, I get my 150 grain loads from Federal and it’s easy to keep their nickel-plated casing separate from the Nosler brass casings.

I hunted RSA in late June and early July. Here’s my two-shot target from the initial morning. You can tell the PH was happy with how the gun was shooting.

I had four animals I wanted most on my list – two big, wildebeest and zebra and two small, impala and warthog. I planned all along to start with the heavier bullets on the big animals and lighter bullets on the small animals.

I’ll spare everyone the story, but I chose Accubond bullets for both loads after initially wanting to carry have one load in Partition and one in Accubond. I also tried to get my hands on Swift A-frames but couldn’t. In hindsight, if I ever go to Africa again, I will have no problem trusting Accubonds in any round I take with me.

The blue wildebeest bull bang, flopped without taking a step to a 180 grain Nosler. He was still alive when we got there so the PH had me hit him with a second shot on the ground. I used a 180 for that too.

The zebra was a perfect heart shot with the 180 and went only about 20 yards total.

The impala was heart shot too but with the 150 grain. It went less than 50 yards and stayed in our sight the whole time.

I had a brain fart (or maybe a whitetail flashback) but I shot the warthog back in the ribs and either got the back of his lungs or his liver with the 150 grain. I didn’t pull the shot. I meant to shot there I just don’t know why. It really was a mental error on my part.

The pig turned and ran so I put a second shot in his backend with the 180 grain as he was heading almost straight away. The bullet broke his leg then angled through his midsection to his front shoulder but he kept going into some thick brush. It was a little tense following the PH in very thick grass looking for Schrödinger's warthog but he only went about 30 yards and was laid over on his side in the grass like a kids bike thrown down at a fishing hole. As a courtesy, the PH had me put another one in him too but he wasn’t really moving.

52209463839_516ff0aaf7_c.jpg

The PH wasn't so happy after my warthog shooting...

52196621436_33fd5d2b01_b.jpg

Dropped to the shot with one 180-grain Accubond. One finsihing shot also with 180 grain Accubond.

52202201352_93f4170bbc_b.jpg

One 180-grain load of Accubond - stone dead in 10 seconds, < 20 yards.

52205198677_18eb130114_b.jpg

One 150-grain load of Accubond - dead in 5 seconds, < 50 yards

52208697183_89b364fa5f_b.jpg

2 x 180-grain Accubond, 1 x 150-grain Accubond - totally my fault

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta love an O/U double.

I used 180 Accubond's in my -06 as well. Very lethal bullet.

The Superposed Continentals are very nice. Hopefully you have the 12G barrels as well.

I have the Blaser BBFs with 06/06, 9.3/9.3 as well as 12/06. Wonderful guns

Great looking rifle, i'd love to have one in my collection.

That little double looks just the part, well done! The scope is mounted really low, is that an off the shelf mount? Any idea what the scope weighs?

Cool rifle and fun hunting-get in close and make it lethal-well done!

Smart move on the nickel and brass; I was thinking the same thing when I was reading it.

That little double looks just the part, well done! The scope is mounted really low, is that an off the shelf mount? Any idea what the scope weighs?

Really good questions that I don't know the answers to. I got the gun exactly as you see it. To answer @Challer's question - it is a rifle only and did not come with the shotgun barrels. I started off wanting the Continental but already have a slim-waisted 20 gauge SxS Browning so the shotgun barrels seemed redundant. Then I found this gun with scope, scope mounts and sling studs so I jump on it. Most of these guns only have express sights and I figured it was take $2,500+ get to an express gun fitted as such.

They only made a handful of those guns so I don't think there were ever any "off the shelf mounts".

The gun comes up fine with my eye in line with the scope. I agree it's load but the slim stock I think makes it work.

The more history I have with this gun the more I like it.

They also made 9.3x74R versions of the same gun...

Well done! I’m glad you found a combination that regulates well for you. Looks like a very ”fast” rifle to carry and handle.

I read about a guy over here with a Merkel in .30-06 double. He tried Fusion 180 factoey loaded and that shot so good that he bought cases of the ammo so he is set for quite a few mixed bag hunts.

Great little rifle you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,