Lighter weight bullets for smaller game

Elton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Can some of the more experienced hunters please weigh in on the following with actual experience rather then what the book says.

Why when using bigger caliber rifles such as the 9.3 375 H&H 375 Ruger etc on smaller game such as impala, blesbok warthog and so forth am i reading to use lighter bullets as opposed to heavy for caliber?

Keeping cost out of the equation, are there differences in dead? Is it about meat damage?

Your inputs would be very helpful.

I have shot a fair amount of game with a 250gr Accubonds. They shoot well in my rifles have used them for blue wildebeest and smaller african animals. When hunting larger say sable up to giraffe I perfer the 300gr Aframe or woodleigh 320gr.

I don't think it makes much difference lighter usually flatter trajectory ...However as we all have rangefinders it is of little relevance

I can tell you about 200 FB Raptor by Cutting Edge Bullets in 9.3 or .366, extensively. I use this for my current medium caliber, have shot numerous zebra, wildebeest, oryx, impala and even shot cow buffalo in Australia. Nothing can match the destruction of tissues and vessels, and blood loss. It rips animal tissue to shreds. Penetration? Hmmm, never recovered any bases even from angled shots on zebra.......... Excellent for a medium...... I would not hesitate to use it on bear or other such critters.

50% of the wildebeest/oryx are DRT on the spot, the other 50% can make a run of 20-30 yards and DRT. Zebra, run.....then they die... you don't put zebra in the dirt until you get to 416/458.... anything under wildebeest/oryx is DRT................

Shot a few Aussie buffalo with it, the bullet did everything it could do, but suffered from lack of caliber on buffalo. They died, broadside shots passed completely through, but buffalo are not 9.3/.375 caliber animals.........

The 200 Raptor runs around 2900 fps in my 19 inch 9.3 B&M.........

DSC04854-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is that slow, heavy, tough bullets work best for smaller game with larger calibers. Accuracy is premium. To blow really big holes in smaller game use smaller, faster bullets in larger calibers. Very simple concept. :)

Can some of the more experienced hunters please weigh in on the following with actual experience rather then what the book says.

Why when using bigger caliber rifles such as the 9.3 375 H&H 375 Ruger etc on smaller game such as impala, blesbok warthog and so forth am i reading to use lighter bullets as opposed to heavy for caliber?

Keeping cost out of the equation, are there differences in dead? Is it about meat damage?

Heavy bullets kill just as dead and waste less meat....
Way too much bladiblah always made about velocity and flatter trajectory.....

Meat damage and lack of penetration come to mind......

o blow really big holes in smaller game use smaller, faster bullets
Raptors are not Ballistic tip type bullets...... they don't "Blow Up".......... after 1.5-2 inches of terminal penetration, the blades shear, and it is devastating for the next 4-5 inches of penetration, then the center bullet continues to move dead straight, and you have a caliber exit. The big holes are inside the body cavity.............

Heavy bullets kill just as dead and waste less meat....
No, they actually do not, not when compared to a Raptor and its mode of operation
lack of penetration come to mind......
With light commercial bullets that you might be considering, similar to a Ballistic tip, you would be 100% correct and spot on, but not so with a Raptor, that will out penetrate all commercial expanding bullets within the caliber. This 200 FB Raptor base will out penetrate all conventional expanding bullets tested here in .366 caliber. Raptors are not conventional and do not follow conventional rules.

I dont need expanding bullets that exit

Yip me too they work so well I have never had the need to change mine retain near 100% weight retention expand to 2.5 times caliber size and are found under the skin on the oposite side.....perfect

I would never be satisfied with the status quo, I like penetration and I like two holes in and out........ and I really like all that stuff that is in between to be totally destroyed............

And until you actually witness or use a Raptor, then its very hard to understand what it does........but you will know it when you see it, its very very obvious when you open them up............and believe me, I have shot a lot of animals with a lot of conventional expanding bullets........ I know the difference between the various bullets., and the Raptors.

To each their own........

@Elton asked the question, and I addressed him on the matter................anything else that does not address that directly is a moot point.

I would never be satisfied with the status quo, I like penetration and I like two holes in and out........ and I really like all that stuff that is in between to be totally destroyed............

And until you actually witness or use a Raptor, then its very hard to understand what it does........but you will know it when you see it, its very very obvious when you open them up............and believe me, I have shot a lot of animals with a lot of conventional expanding bullets........ I know the difference between the various bullets., and the Raptors.

To each their own........

@Elton asked the question, and I addressed him on the matter................anything else that does not address that directly is a moot point.
Status quo has killed a lot of pg and dg during my hunting career and what I use Rhino controlled expansion bullets have always performed flawlessly......
We can track and if shot placement is good no tracking is needed.....if we need to track we and our trackers can . .
@Elton indeed asked the question and different opinions where given....so if only your line of thinking is appropriate and the rest moot well then I fail to see the purpose of asking an opinion in the first place. ..

@IvW the question was

Not sure what or where he is reading this, but I gave him a proper, lighter for caliber bullet, that I know for a fact will work, does not blow up, will penetrate more than enough, as opposed to heavy for caliber.

You gave no such alternative. Only an opinion, and not a bad opinion at that, nothing wrong with your line of thought, nothing wrong with Rhino bullets that I am aware of, and if they work for you, all good.

Seems to me, anyone differing from "Your Opinion" is of course the moot point. You were concerned about penetration of lighter bullets at first, then you did not want over penetration, and then it was perfect if the bullet stayed under the hide. Your opinion. Mine is different, I like penetration, I like two holes in and out. And while I killed a lot of animals with the old status quo, both plains game and dangerous game as well, I was not always satisfied with the status quo, and found something far better for terminal effects. While your opinion is not a bad one at all, and always welcomed, it does not wipe mine from the board, nor does it override in anyway the experience of one shooters compared to another. You see IVW, I know what you know, but you don't know, What I know. And its only because you have a lack of experience with these sort of bullets. I dare say, that anyone that has had experience with these bullets can also have a valid opinion, and not just be written off the board.

Seems I remember testing some Rhinos at one point, not many as they were not so available to me here, but I can't remember right off if they were solids or expanding. Correct me if I am wrong, but are they similar to the Peregrine expanding bullets? If so, they are indeed superb as you say.... and I would like them a lot as well, but I would think those type bullets would also exit.....but, like I said I can't recall if I tested solid or expanding...........I would have to go back in the records and see, and they would have been probably 458 caliber anyway............

As mentioned I have no intention of experimenting with fragmenting light for caliber bullets. What I use I am happy with so see no need for change....my opinion.
I also do not own a metal detector to keep the metal out my plate....

As mentioned I have no intention of experimenting with fragmenting light for caliber bullets. What I use I am happy with so see no need for change....my opinion.
This is truly fortuitous, since all lab work, and field experimentation was completed well over a decade ago, and since these type bullets have been in use in the field by shooters and hunters worldwide, with incredible success, your experimentation and expertise is not required.

Thank you for your valued opinion, and I am very pleased that you have a bullet that meets all your needs and you are happy with it. Your opinion will be filed away in the proper place should it ever be needed or required in the future..............................

We as shooters live in glorious times with the incredible selection of bullets we have today, that even just a decade ago, we did not have. Proper designs, and Bullet Tech enhances every cartridge we shoot, and insure our success in the field, if we do our part......... Indeed, Glorious days..............

Not sure why you keep on and on I gave my recommendation you gave yours.
OP can decide what he wants to use.....

Actually heavy-for-caliber bullets do just as well on smaller game. You would be surprised how many members of Africa’s tiny ten I’ve racked up by using 300 grain solids from a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

@Elton
In my Whelen I usually stick with the 225gn Woodleigh or accubind for everything from mice up. If I feel I need heavier for bigger I can go upto 250,275gn or 310gn but mainly the 225s, good speeds, great accuracy and plenty of punch for out yonder.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg