Leverevolution ammo 45-70

Siennacoyote

AH senior member
Reaction score
I have a 45-70 and put Leupold optics on it. I am looking for a regular round to buy and sight in . I really like the federal hammer down as a production round and it appears the same ballistically as the federal fusion but they are tough to find near me. My question involves lever revolution ammo seems to fragment . I expect this gun for larger animals as I use a 350 legend for deer (Ohio straitwall only). Have you guys used the leverevolutin and found it not to perform ? It’s easier to find near me and quite a bit cheaper at the moment (around 20 a box cheaper) I want to order my custom dial and want to know what ammo I’m using for hunting . Appreciate any input .

I have used the Leverlution ammo a lot. It has performed flawlessly on whitetail. On multiple occasions it knocked a hole in them you could literally look through. Every deer I have taken with it provided an exit. Shots ranged from 30 yards to around 200.

Last edited:
I have not used the .45-70 LEVER ammo. Or I have (at the range) - I just haven't had a chance to kill anything with it yet.

In my .338 Marlin, I have killed 10 bull moose, 11 caribou, and 8 African PG species. All have largely been one shot kills and mostly have not traveled more than a few yards. The one exception was my blue wildebeest. It was an extreme angle and I only caught one lung. We were able to track it and finish it off though. I do not not believe that was the fault of the bullet. I have not lost an animal to a LEVER ammo shot, nor have I had any performance that I found to be unsatisfactory.

I use LEVER ammo in other calibers in other guns; it is extremely accurate in everything I shoot it in.

I have a 45-70 and put Leupold optics on it. I am looking for a regular round to buy and sight in . I really like the federal hammer down as a production round and it appears the same ballistically as the federal fusion but they are tough to find near me. My question involves lever revolution ammo seems to fragment . I expect this gun for larger animals as I use a 350 legend for deer (Ohio straitwall only). Have you guys used the leverevolutin and found it not to perform ? It’s easier to find near me and quite a bit cheaper at the moment (around 20 a box cheaper) I want to order my custom dial and want to know what ammo I’m using for hunting . Appreciate any input .
Siennacoyote: I currently use .45-70 for deer on my property and anywhere whitetail can be expected under 150 yrds (my property has No shots over 125 yrds). I has performed perfectly and in broadside shots - always exits…even sometimes going thru “both shoulders”. Leaves a nice size hole. However, it is Not as good as Buffalo Bore regarding penetration - and the LeverEvolution bullet is Not as well constructed….it also has milder recoil and doesn’t “loosen my teeth” when I fire it. For any whitail I think it’s great but then again - anything can kill a whitetail from .243, .308., .30-06 etc…. And those all have flatter trajectory. I use a .45-70 1). Because I won one, 2). I know my shots are always under 100 yrds and I can take them at “any angle” - even an ASS shot and know that buck will drop. I don’t believe .45-70 is the best all around deer cartridge but it is one of the best “Close range Deer Cartridges”. The LeverEvolution is “powerful Enough”, very accurate, and leaves your teeth in your mouth.

I have used and will keep using Hornady's 325 grain Leverevolution ammo in my 45-70s. I've had excellent accuracy out of multiple rifles with that load. I've killed 3 black bears and 1 whitetail with it. With Illinois starting up the straight wall deal, I used it for the first time this year on deer and will keep using it. I have not recovered any of the bullets to take a close look at them after impact.

It may not be the best bullet, but I think the leverevolution is plenty good for deer and black bear. I really like the Federal HammerDown 300 grain loads as well. I have shot the Hornady 250 grain monoflex bullets at targets, never at game. Just haven't had any on hand during season as I mostly buy the other loads.

Bottom line for me is that the Hornady's have not let me down yet. They shoot great and perform well for what I need them to. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any that you see on the shelf.

I have had excellent results LeverEvolution in my 45-70 on wild boar from 175-up to 250+ lbs. and have taken several. I have also used it successfully on deer in Missouri.....UNTIL THIS YEAR. Like DP I am a Southern Illinois guy so the 45-70 was my go to for the Illinois straight wall cartridge season. I lost 2 deer in two days from what appeared to be fragmentation on the shoulder based on post shot behavior and blood trail. You could say hunter error was the case and perhaps it was, but I have only lost 1 deer in close to 30 years hunting in Illinois and to have two in two days was very frustrating to say the least. And both of these deer were broadside at 75 yards with no brush in the way and off a stone solid rest...so I am not leaning that way. In the past I have had complete pass through on hogs at ranges varying from 50- 100 yards and I have also had them fail to exit a 110 doe broadside at 60 yards so I am beginning to wonder about consistency. My best friend has had similar success but this tear shot two at under 100 yards. Both hit the shoulder and one failed to exit while the other passed through with devastating results. Accuracy has been excellent in every firearm I own( Ruger #1, Marlin Guide Gun and CVA single shot) so no issues there. I am going to change to Federal HammerDown this upcoming season. Long story short- last year this time i would be singing their praises...now I am a little skittish about them. Hope that helps and as always your results might vary. Good luck and keep you powder dry.

I have had excellent results LeverEvolution in my 45-70 on wild boar from 175-up to 250+ lbs. and have taken several. I have also used it successfully on deer in Missouri.....UNTIL THIS YEAR. Like DP I am a Southern Illinois guy so the 45-70 was my go to for the Illinois straight wall cartridge season. I lost 2 deer in two days from what appeared to be fragmentation on the shoulder based on post shot behavior and blood trail. You could say hunter error was the case and perhaps it was, but I have only lost 1 deer in close to 30 years hunting in Illinois and to have two in two days was very frustrating to say the least. And both of these deer were broadside at 75 yards with no brush in the way and off a stone solid rest...so I am not leaning that way. In the past I have had complete pass through on hogs at ranges varying from 50- 100 yards and I have also had them fail to exit a 110 doe broadside at 60 yards so I am beginning to wonder about consistency. My best friend has had similar success but this tear shot two at under 100 yards. Both hit the shoulder and one failed to exit while the other passed through with devastating results. Accuracy has been excellent in every firearm I own( Ruger #1, Marlin Guide Gun and CVA single shot) so no issues there. I am going to change to Federal HammerDown this upcoming season. Long story short- last year this time i would be singing their praises...now I am a little skittish about them. Hope that helps and as always your results might vary. Good luck and keep you powder dry.
This fragmentations what I’ve been worried about I know the lever revolutions have a little more range but I don’t shoot on the high end much if at all based on hunting where I live .

@Siennacoyote get on Ammoseek.com and there are lots of 45-70 ammo options.

I believe LeverEvolution brass is a little bit shorter than standard 45-70 brass.

CMS62236: I can relate you your confusion, i have used the LeverEvolution .45-70 in 325 grain for 4 seasons now and taken 5 bucks - all under 75 yrds and either broadside High Shoulder shots or just thru rib cage, one quartering away. Three dropped DRT and one ran 50 yrds. However, bullet performance differed from enter/exit and breaking both shoulders to less dramatic penetration in broadside shots??? I think the bullets are a bit lightly constructed and fine for deer or bear under 150 yrds but they don’t penetrate like a Buffalo Bore hardcast bullet. They are very accurate in mt Marlin 1895 and 1” MOA at 100 yrds

I’ve personally killed 10-15 deer with the 325 in 45-70 and the 265 in 444 with the lever revolutions and have never had any negative experiences with them on penetration or expansion. Shots have ranged from 15 yards to 200 for me personally and have always had an exit wound no matter the angle or distance. I’ve got some pretty graphic pictures of what they will do if you’d like to see just shoot me a message.

I've never seen any practical reason to get into any of the Leverevolutions:

The 405gr, even in the trapdoor load, is more than adequate for just about all North American game at the appropriate range - and certainly more than enough for Ohio whitetails.

It's also readily available with a proven bullet, in the form of the Rem Core Lokt.

No need to reinvent the wheel on this one.

I've never seen any practical reason to get into any of the Leverevolutions:

The 405gr, even in the trapdoor load, is more than adequate for just about all North American game at the appropriate range - and certainly more than enough for Ohio whitetails.

It's also readily available with a proven bullet, in the form of the Rem Core Lokt.

No need to reinvent the wheel on this one.
The leverevolutions shoot flatter and tend to be more accurate in my experience with the pointed bullet. But your not wrong 405 grain will handle whitetails with no problem.

The leverevolutions shoot flatter and tend to be more accurate in my experience with the pointed bullet. But your not wrong 405 grain will handle whitetails with no problem.

Agreed: And to be expected with the extra fps behind it.

My Leverevolution experience is limited to sending the 325 downrange out of a 6lb double, and the extra recoil on that was a big 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Easy way to become content with minute-of-saucer!

The 325s are SUPER accurate out of my GBL, and the generous recoil pad makes shooting them easy-peasy. I have not yet had a chance to kill anything with them.

I think one of the reasons I became so attached to the Hornady ammo was due to availability. When I got my first 45-70 in 2019 (profile pic), the 325 grainers were everywhere. And then they shot lights out so I didn't see a reason to change and I loaded up on it. That being said, I agree with Oxford on the Remington ammo. It's tried and true and I see it around quite a bit these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.