Lever action

Older Marlins are good. The last ones before the bankruptcy were kind of crap
I've got a Winchester 94 from about 1999. It's been reliable. Some guys like Rossis, but I don't know anything about them. Henrys and the new Ruger Marlins are supposed to be very good.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Savage Model 99. It has the strongest of all the traditional lever actions and is set up for both iron sights and a scope. I have three, in calibers .219 Savage, .300 Savage and ..250-3000 Savage and they are all accurate and easy to handle, without the accuracy problems of a tubular magazine hung on the bottom of the barrel. They are also available in modern cartridges such as the .308 Winchester. There is also a take down model, which I would stay away from, since they have the reputation of shooting loose over time.
It was Colonel Townsend Whelen's favorite hunting rifle and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Seeing that this old thread got revived I might as well pipe in. Some months ago I went through a similar conundrum.

I decided to get the new Marlin 45-70 Trapper model manufactured by Ruger. They fixed a lot of issues with roughness of feeding, the action etc.. Below is a review of it.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Savage Model 99. It has the strongest of all the traditional lever actions and is set up for both iron sights and a scope. I have three, in calibers .219 Savage, .300 Savage and ..250-3000 Savage and they are all accurate and easy to handle, without the accuracy problems of a tubular magazine hung on the bottom of the barrel. They are also available in modern cartridges such as the .308 Winchester. There is also a take down model, which I would stay away from, since they have the reputation of shooting loose over time.
It was Colonel Townsend Whelen's favorite hunting rifle and that's good enough for me.
This is what comes of writing at 5:00AM at age 84. When I wrote ".219 Savage", I was thinking (of course) of it's twin, the .219 Zipper. The Savage cartridge is the .22 Savage High Power, which is known in Europe as the 5.6X52, and where ammunition of that caliber is still available. The Zipper was a Winchester development, using the same cartridge case, but a .224" bullet instead of the Savage's .228".
I should have pointed out that the Savage's magazine allows the use of pointed bullets, which safety concerns forbid in the tubuler magazine rifles.

So you want a lever action! And you are therefore wanting to open a "Pandora's Box" for advice on what to get!

Well.....

I have to ask the same question as others:

What are you going to use it for?

You say target shooting, but that's ominous. As there are so many game species that can be taken by any caliber you choose.

As to what manufacturer, modern or antique, reproduction or original, etc. totally depends on one's budget and purpose(s). As I am selling by consignment two original Winchesters: one 32 W.C.F and one 38-55 calibers, and a reproduction Navy Arms in 44-40.

I have a 45-70 by Marlin I plan to use for bear, boar, deer and other North America big game species as well as for general target shooting simply because I love this caliber!.

I have a good friend, as well as myself (and many other shooters/hunters/gun enthusiast), would like to have a lever action in the same, to match a
single action revolver (we) have of the same caliber; ie 22 (LR, Mag), 357 Mag (38 SPL), 45 Colt, 44 Rem Mag, and 32-20/W.C.F.

Thus: Are you wanting a specific caliber for target shooting/hunting/collector value or just a random caliber to have fun with? Or perhaps something more popular like 30-30 or 45-70? or Maybe a box magazine lever action in like a 308, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, etc.?

To you it may seem to be a simple question of asking for advice! In reality you are asking a very complex question with a variety of variants (from those who know, and often asked themselves), when looking to purchase an iconic weapon such as a lever action rifle.

The next follow up question is: Do you want a full length rifle with a full length tubular magazine, or short barrel, short magazine; a carbine variety?

So....What Do You Want!.?

Want to get myself a lever action rifle. Any advice on make and caliber I should buy.
@Yaseen
Depends on what you want to hunt.
My mate Greg has an old marlin 336 in 30-30 that groups 5 shots into less than an inch with cheap arse federal blue box 150 grainers.
If'n you need more thump then a 444 marlin with 265 gn flat points will get the job done on everything up to moose or you can get a 45-70 and stoke it from mild to wild.
For small game a Winchester 92 or marlin in 25-20, 32-20 or 218B will do nicely.
As I said depends on what you want to hunt.
Bob

A marlin in 38-55 is a great flat shooter for gongs, good luck in your search

I would love to physically get my hands on one of those Henry Long Rangers. Maybe not as romantic as some of those antiques but looks perfect for many of my current chores.

Model 64 Winchester in .30-30 or .32 Special. Light, 24" barrel, nice handling and usually quite accurate rifles.
Had several over the years and currently this 64A from the mid 70's, great shooter.
IMG_3532.JPG

a new member to the lever action family, yesterday are trappers rendezvous I found this Winchester 1892 saddle ring carbine in 25-20. I looked it over and and saw it was well carried and used, but the bore was ex with no pits or corrosion at all and as I like the been there done that it came home with me.

View attachment 232729 View attachment 232730 View attachment 232731 View attachment 232732
@leslie hetrick
I do love the little 25-20. My fun load is an 86gn cast projectiles with 3.5gns of trail boss. Give a very nice 1,100fps.
I also load speer 75gn flat points and managed to get hold of 200 60gn Hornady flat points.
Single loaded 75gn blitz kings are very accurate as well.
Bob
20210706_105152.jpg
20210706_104931.jpg

My little 1892 Winchester 25-20 made in 1907 and fitted with a stainless steel original Winchester stainless steel barrel made in 1927. The thread on the muzzle is for a maxim silencer ( that I would dearly love to acquire)

Funny how that happens over and over. What are you planning to hunt with a 25-20?
@Shootist43
Art mine has shot big billy goats with a hand load of 14gn of H4198 and a 75gn speer flat point hotcore. One shot kills on both at around 75 yards.
Lovely little round. Apparently some old timers in the USA loved it for whitetail in the timber.
Bob

fall turkeys, groundhog, porky,s and maybe a few squirrles. I think its a little light for deer (i know it would kill them). I have a marlin 94 CL in 25-20 and 32-20 that use for the light stuff and just plain fun gunning.
@leslie hetrick
The 100gn Hornady XTP with 13gnof littlgun makes for a potent hunting load. It gave almost 1,800fos out of my old 92 with inch groups at 50 yards. Sold it to a mate who fell in love for it.
Bob

@xausa
All you need now is a nice Savage lever action in 358 win and you will be a happy little Vegemite.
Bob

Of course this is an old thread, but since the OP's profile indicates that he lives in Cape Town it begs the question ... are lever actions legal to own in RSA? I was reading Boddington's Safari Rifles II and he made that statement that they were not legal in several African countries including RSA. Granted that the book is a bit dated, but curious whether that situation has changed.

Also of note, a friend is considering taking his first plains game safari using the Winchester Model 71 and safari jacket that belonged to his late father. Namibia or RSA are the most likely destinations for this.

Dont know if they are legal for residents of RSA to own, but the visitor can take there, many of us have.
Took my model 95 in .405 to RSA several years ago.

I’m pretty sure they are legal…

I know of a particular farmer in South Africa that has a marlin guide gun in 45-70… and have talked to a PH in Limpopo that owned a Winchester lever gun in 30-30…

I’m pretty sure they are legal…

I know of a particular farmer in South Africa that has a marlin guide gun in 45-70… and have talked to a PH in Limpopo that owned a Winchester lever gun in 30-30…
Dont know if they are legal for residents of RSA to own, but the visitor can take there, many of us have.
Took my model 95 in .405 to RSA several years ago.
Thanks!

Lever guns are legal to own in SA and are actually easy to license as they classified as manually operated rifles.

Despite that they not very popular, I suspect the high prices are probably to blame.

Personally I have a very large itch for a 45-70...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois