Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm opinions with heavy duplex for low light

700xcr

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Tri-Cities Metallic Silhouette Association and Richland Rod and Gun Club
Hunted
USA
I have a 375 Ruger Guide Gun that I am thinking about putting a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm with the heavy duplex on it. Planning on using this combo on heavy timber elk in the US and some day in Africa on dangerous game. Would like opinions on this combinations. As of right now I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm with duplex on it. Thinking about moving the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm over to my Remington 721 300 H&H. What do you all thing of this idea?
Thanks Mark

I think you will be fine, I own both scopes, they should serve you well.

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking the heavy duplex serve better low light situation in the dark timber and brush then the standard duplex. Max yardage would be 200yds. or closer with the 375 Ruger. Planning on loading some Woodleigh 350gr. protective points.

What size tube does the 1.75-6 have. Lazy,I should google it.

I have the VX3 1.75-6 x 32 on a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62. Shoots pretty good so far. If anyone wants to put it on something bigger (40 cal and up) this is what the Leupold rep said to me: "First, Although it's an awesome scope, I would not recommend the 1.75-6x32mm to you for your application (404 Jeffery) as it has a very limited elevation and windage adjustment range. You will most likely run out adjustment before getting your rifle properly zeroed and it you managed to get it zeroed, you may possibly have POI issues".
His suggestions were:
VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, Illuminated or Non-Illuminated.
FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20mm
or The Big Bore 3X that is available through the Custom Shop.

You should be OK (which I'm sure you would have figured out by now judging by the date of your post) with the Leupold you have chosen.
I think an important point that I haven't seen discussed is the scope mounting system. It's a personal choice of course but I would suggest a set of QD mounts so you can utilize the irons if you have to. Again the Leupold rep suggested a set of either QR base set # 50063, or the Dual Dovetail set # 54240. He cautioned against the standard mounts as one could end up with mount failure when using heavier recoiling rifles.
Talley suggested a set of p/n 25X701 bases, and p/n 500003 1" low, or 500004 med QD's

I had considered a 2.5x20 but I think I'm going to go with the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle. I like Nikon's as I have several multi-power scopes which I use for longer ranges. The clarity of the glass is outstanding and it has great eye relief and light gathering ability. I have Zeiss and Leupold VX3's. There really isn't a difference in image quality.
Just some FYI

Last edited:
I have the VX3 1.75-6 x 32 on a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62. Shoots pretty good so far. If anyone wants to put it on something bigger (40 cal and up) this is what the Leupold rep said to me: "First, Although it's an awesome scope, I would not recommend the 1.75-6x32mm to you for your application (404 Jeffery) as it has a very limited elevation and windage adjustment range. You will most likely run out adjustment before getting your rifle properly zeroed and it you managed to get it zeroed, you may possibly have POI issues".
His suggestions were:
VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, Illuminated or Non-Illuminated.
FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20mm
or The Big Bore 3X that is available through the Custom Shop.

You should be OK (which I'm sure you would have figured out by now judging by the date of your post) with the Leupold you have chosen.
I think an important point that I haven't seen discussed is the scope mounting system. It's a personal choice of course but I would suggest a set of QD mounts so you can utilize the irons if you have to. Again the Leupold rep suggested a set of either QR base set # 50063, or the Dual Dovetail set # 54240. He cautioned against the standard mounts as one could end up with mount failure when using heavier recoiling rifles.
Talley suggested a set of p/n 25X701 bases, and p/n 500003 1" low, or 500004 med QD's

I had considered a 2.5x20 but I think I'm going to go with the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle. I like Nikon's as I have several multi-power scopes which I use for longer ranges. The clarity of the glass is outstanding and it has great eye relief and light gathering ability. I have Zeiss and Leupold VX3's. There really isn't a difference in image quality.
Just some FYI

I kept the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm with the duplex on the 375 Ruger Guide Gun. It is set up with Alaskan Arms quick detach rings, Ended up putting a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm with the duplex on the Remington 721 300 H&H using Talley low lightweight rings. I have Leupold's Alumia screw in scope covers for both scopes now. A little pricey but well worth it. Thanks for your opinions.

IMHO the VX3 2.5x8x36 is one of the finest scopes as far as value for money and quality are concerned .

I have 4 of them on various rifles.

I have the VX3 3.5 - 10 x 40 on my BRNO 602 in 8x68. Shoots really well.

I know the OP has made his decision but I would like to comment on the 1.75-6 VX3.

My son has a 30-06 so his Marlin 336 isn't cool enough anymore. I commandeered the 30-30 to use exclusively as a feral hog rifle. My son doesn't care about triggers but I do and installed a Happy Trigger myself. Also had a Pachmayr grind to fit pad installed(I've had three shoulder operations), polished the internals myself and loosened the barrel band. I now had a lever action that shot MOA. The only thing missing was a good lowlight scope.

The rifle was wearing a Burris FF2 2-7x35 with a standard Duplex type reticle and I wanted a thicker reticle. So I had the parallax on the Burris changed to 50 yards, mounted it on a .22 and ordered the VX-3 1.75-6x32 with heavy duplex. I did not read the specs before I ordered. The scope came and the turrets were very difficult to turn and some sort of plastic looking debris was falling out of the turrets so back to Leupold went the scope. I'm a fan of the German #4 and while the heavy duplex was okay I decided I wanted a #4. Since the scope was back at Leupold I asked CS to have the custom shop install a German #4 which they did at no charge to compensate for my inconvenience.

Scope came back, I liked the new reticle better but when I went to mount it I discovered the limited elevation and windage adjustment. The reticle was too low and when I bore sighted the rifle I was able to do so but had no adjustment left. I then looked at the specs for my scope compared to other VX-3's and saw that the adjustment range was pretty limited compared to other VX3's. The Burris had about twice the adjustment range so there was no issue with it. I don't like to shim scopes with two piece bases but the Marlin has a Weaver one piece, so I shimmed and everything is Tony Roni. I like the scope a lot, especially with the German #4 reticle.

Just be aware of the limited windage and elevation adjustment range.

I'm also a fan of the 2.5-8x36.

I know the OP has made his decision but I would like to comment on the 1.75-6 VX3.

My son has a 30-06 so his Marlin 336 isn't cool enough anymore. I commandeered the 30-30 to use exclusively as a feral hog rifle. My son doesn't care about triggers but I do and installed a Happy Trigger myself. Also had a Pachmayr grind to fit pad installed(I've had three shoulder operations), polished the internals myself and loosened the barrel band. I now had a lever action that shot MOA. The only thing missing was a good lowlight scope.

The rifle was wearing a Burris FF2 2-7x35 with a standard Duplex type reticle and I wanted a thicker reticle. So I had the parallax on the Burris changed to 50 yards, mounted it on a .22 and ordered the VX-3 1.75-6x32 with heavy duplex. I did not read the specs before I ordered. The scope came and the turrets were very difficult to turn and some sort of plastic looking debris was falling out of the turrets so back to Leupold went the scope. I'm a fan of the German #4 and while the heavy duplex was okay I decided I wanted a #4. Since the scope was back at Leupold I asked CS to have the custom shop install a German #4 which they did at no charge to compensate for my inconvenience.

Scope came back, I liked the new reticle better but when I went to mount it I discovered the limited elevation and windage adjustment. The reticle was too low and when I bore sighted the rifle I was able to do so but had no adjustment left. I then looked at the specs for my scope compared to other VX-3's and saw that the adjustment range was pretty limited compared to other VX3's. The Burris had about twice the adjustment range so there was no issue with it. I don't like to shim scopes with two piece bases but the Marlin has a Weaver one piece, so I shimmed and everything is Tony Roni. I like the scope a lot, especially with the German #4 reticle.

Just be aware of the limited windage and elevation adjustment range.

I'm also a fan of the 2.5-8x36.

I have two 336C Marlins in 30/30 & 35 Rem (circa 1974. I don't like the new ones). I put Vortex Diamondback
1.75 - 6x32 scopes on them. The scopes are OK but I wish the crosshairs were a bit thicker. Both rifles shoot less than MOA at 100yds so lots of W/E.
I had to get a couple of scopes quickly. Vortex was the only ones available that I could find with the magnification I wanted in the time frame that I had to work with. I really wanted Nikon's but couldn't get them fast enough.
I'm waiting for a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle to come in that I'm going to put on my 404 Jeffery when it shows up.
I'm not sure if you read this in other topics that I've posted but this is what the Leupold service rep told me about the 1.75-5x32 I had asked him about putting the 1.75-5x32 on my 404.

His reply "First, Although it's an awesome scope, I would not recommend the 1.75-6x32mm to you for your application as it has a very limited elevation and windage adjustment range. You will most likely run out adjustment before getting your rifle properly zeroed and it you managed to get it zeroed, you may possibly have POI issues. The Ulitmate Slam 2-7x33 scope will work, however your best choices will be:
VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, Illuminated or Non-Illuminated, or FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20mm"

A consideration may be the Leupold Ultimate Slam series of scopes. They are designed for shotguns but I put the 2-7x33 on my Ruger Stainless 77 44 Rem Mag rifle. It works perfectly. No W/E issues. Thinking about putting it on my 35 Rem (awesome calibre btw...I love it) and put a fixed power something on the 44.
Since the 30/30 is somewhat range limited in effective kill power have you considered a fixed power scope? Something in the neighborhood of a 2, 3, or 4x scope (depending on one's eyesight and hunting terrain of course)
Food for thought anyway :)

I have two 336C Marlins in 30/30 & 35 Rem (circa 1974. I don't like the new ones). I put Vortex Diamondback
1.75 - 6x32 scopes on them. The scopes are OK but I wish the crosshairs were a bit thicker. Both rifles shoot less than MOA at 100yds so lots of W/E.
I had to get a couple of scopes quickly. Vortex was the only ones available that I could find with the magnification I wanted in the time frame that I had to work with. I really wanted Nikon's but couldn't get them fast enough.
I'm waiting for a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle to come in that I'm going to put on my 404 Jeffery when it shows up.
I'm not sure if you read this in other topics that I've posted but this is what the Leupold service rep told me about the 1.75-5x32 I had asked him about putting the 1.75-5x32 on my 404.

His reply "First, Although it's an awesome scope, I would not recommend the 1.75-6x32mm to you for your application as it has a very limited elevation and windage adjustment range. You will most likely run out adjustment before getting your rifle properly zeroed and it you managed to get it zeroed, you may possibly have POI issues. The Ulitmate Slam 2-7x33 scope will work, however your best choices will be:
VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, Illuminated or Non-Illuminated, or FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20mm"

A consideration may be the Leupold Ultimate Slam series of scopes. They are designed for shotguns but I put the 2-7x33 on my Ruger Stainless 77 44 Rem Mag rifle. It works perfectly. No W/E issues. Thinking about putting it on my 35 Rem (awesome calibre btw...I love it) and put a fixed power something on the 44.
Since the 30/30 is somewhat range limited in effective kill power have you considered a fixed power scope? Something in the neighborhood of a 2, 3, or 4x scope (depending on one's eyesight and hunting terrain of course)
Food for thought anyway :)
I'll stick with what I've got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg