Leopard bullet choice

First World problem, it is, choosing bullets for leopard hunts!

Another thing we over think sometimes here in North America....a specific rifle scope magnification for a specific hunt.... :D
In this case, a leopard hunt...do we need a "dangerous game scope" of say 1-6x24, or can we leave the deer hunting scope on our rifles?
For an example, my 338 WM has a 3-15x44 scope on it...and that is the rifle I want to use on my future leopard hunt...should I replace it then with a 1-6x24, a 2x or 2.5x lower power scope, or is the 3x lower power ok for the distances leopard are usually shot?
Hope to hear from the experienced leopard hunters...

You need a scope with good light gathering capabilities and in my opinion a illuminated dot is essential....distances are close so magnification is not the highest priority...

Capebuffalo,

The scope you describe already having on your rifle will work just fine. Typical shots on leopards over bait at 50-75 yards. I shot my leopard at 55 yards. The biggest thing is being very comfortable and familiar with your equipment and making that first shot count. The goal is always for there to be a dead leopard under the bait tree. Good luck on your hunt.

I also agree with lvW, an illuminated dot on the cross hairs is a big advantage when hunting leopards.

Last edited:
A illuminated dot is better than an illuminated reticle as the aiming point is all that matters ...
Good to hear, IvW, because the older you become the handier it gets! :D

Another thing we over think sometimes here in North America....a specific rifle scope magnification for a specific hunt.... :D
In this case, a leopard hunt...do we need a "dangerous game scope" of say 1-6x24, or can we leave the deer hunting scope on our rifles?
For an example, my 338 WM has a 3-15x44 scope on it...and that is the rifle I want to use on my future leopard hunt...should I replace it then with a 1-6x24, a 2x or 2.5x lower power scope, or is the 3x lower power ok for the distances leopard are usually shot?
Hope to hear from the experienced leopard hunters...
To your point…I will be using my Swaro Z5I scope. This is illuminated which I believe will be key

I’ve only taken 2 leopards and both with a 300 Win Mag and 200grn ELDX bullets. I cannot confirm or speak to the expansion as both were complete pass through and both cats died under the tree with no tracking required. That rifle has a Swarovski Z8i 1x8

HH

Other than a very few PH's, there are few people who are "experts" at shooting leopards. But my one cat, shot with a 250 gr partition from a .338, while spending a lot of time on a cruiser and in a leopard blind with one of those real experts, Nick Nolte, has given me an opinion. (y) In a fast .300 any relatively quick opening 180 gr bullet would be ideal. I say relatively, because too fast a bullet of too light construction can create a meaningful challenge for your taxidermist on a very expensive piece of hide. I think the 180 gr partition would be an excellent choice - and a far better option than the .375 - particularly with the 300 gr bullet. On my cat, that big partition from the .338 may still be going, so there was no recovered bullet to stare at meaningfully. However, the exit wound indicated that it had expanded a bit and likely acted like a normal SP rather than shedding its front end. That was typical on most of the antelope I took with it as well.

So were I going back for a second one, I would take my .300 WM loaded with 180 gr Accubonds, Partitions, are something similar.
Thank you for your contributions to our forum, Red Leg.

I also prefer my 338 WM on most plains game, but haven't shot a leopard yet. However, I am planning to do so in the near future. I was thinking of using a 250 Nosler Partition for the task as well, until I read your thread...I have no intention to use any 300 mag. I hear what you say about the 250 NP, and sounds like you think it was an over kill? What do you think of using a Norma
Oryx 230 grain, a Woodleigh RN 250 grain, or maybe a 225 grain NP in the 338 WM for this application?

Hope to hear from you

Thank you for your contributions to our forum, Red Leg.

I also prefer my 338 WM on most plains game, but haven't shot a leopard yet. However, I am planning to do so in the near future. I was thinking of using a 250 Nosler Partition for the task as well, until I read your thread...I have no intention to use any 300 mag. I hear what you say about the 250 NP, and sounds like you think it was an over kill? What do you think of using a Norma
Oryx 230 grain, a Woodleigh RN 250 grain, or maybe a 225 grain NP in the 338 WM for this application?

Hope to hear from you
I am also very interested to hear the opinions regarding the Norma Oryx...

My wife will be using a savage 110 ultralite .308 with a Swarovski Z5i 3.5-18x44 P BT L plex-I
165 grain Accubond.

She will have her .375 for Buffalo. But we feel the .308 is the more accurate setup with less recoil. I spoke with Dalton her PH, and he says it’s the perfect set up.
IMG_0957.jpeg

If she can keep her composure. She has the ability to put the pill in the center of a chosen rosette.
IMG_1827.jpeg

My wife will be using a savage 110 ultralite .308 with a Swarovski Z5i 3.5-18x44 P BT L plex-I
165 grain Accubond.

She will have her .375 for Buffalo. But we feel the .308 is the more accurate setup with less recoil. I spoke with Dalton her PH, and he says it’s the perfect set up. View attachment 562426

If she can keep her composure. She has the ability to put the pill in the center of a chosen rosette.
View attachment 562427
I am hunting my leopard in 2025 with your wife’s exact scope. After much research I have decided to take my 275 Rigby shooting Nosler 160 Speer ballistic tips

Good choice. Good low light visibility and a lighted dot that automatically adjusts to ambient light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!