Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
I’m in the market for a new left handed Semi-Auto 12 Gauge Waterfowl shotgun.

I have an Original 12 Gauge Berreta Xtrema in 3 1/2” Camo 26” right hand, shimmed for a Lefty. It’s showing it’s age and even though I just replaced all the springs, it doesn’t like 3 1/2” shells. And, I still have a bunch of Hevi Shot 3 1/2” for geese…

I like Berreta, but also have Browning, CZ, and Benelli for different uses. I’ve had Winchester and Remington too.

I recently hunted with a new Benelli in LH in Canada and it worked great! But, I have anchors in my shooting shoulder and would prefer a softer shooting Semi-Auto.

With that said; I’m looking to get: Beretta’s A400 Xtreme Plus in 12 Gauge, 3 1/2” with a 28” Barrel. I hunt a lot in blinds by SxS, Quad, or boat… This gun will be for ducks and geese.

Please share your experience with any new Left Hand shotguns if you have one or experiences with any latest model Berreta’s or new model Semi-Auto 12 Gauge shotguns that you like for waterfowl.

I am a left hand shooter. I have used RH semi-autos, but my favorite waterfowl gun was my Win Model 21 duck gun cast for a lefty. When I left California for AZ I gave up the opportunity for most of my traditional waterfowling. I gave the gun to my brother.

I would look for a LH Benelli or a LH Remington 1100 in 2-3/4" or 3" chamber and be happy.

Last edited:
I just asked Randy Wakeman this exact question- this was his response for the Best semi auto - Fabarm xlr5

https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-waterfowler-true-timber-viper/I'd call the best.

It comes in left hand, I’m looking for a similar shotgun like you for my lefty shooting college son

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.37 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.37 AM Large.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.38 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.38 AM Large.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.40 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.40 AM Large.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.42 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.26.42 AM Large.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 51
Beretta AL391 is a really good semi auto. It’s got almost no weight due to the aluminum receiver. I don’t know if they were ever made for left handers, however.
212B338F-C186-4D64-99EF-FA4CD79402DA.jpeg
D9428B97-20D4-4905-90DA-EBA5B6C73BB2.jpeg

Beretta AL391 is a really good semi auto. It’s got almost no weight due to the aluminum receiver. I don’t know if they were ever made for left handers, however.
I haven’t seen one in left.
So far the true left hand semi auto ones available are-

Fabarm XLR
Benelli SBE3 and M2 (some have poi issues)
Beretta A400
Win SX4
Franchi Affinity

anyone have experience with these?

I haven’t seen one in left.
So far the true left hand semi auto ones available are-

Fabarm XLR
Benelli SBE3 and M2 (some have poi issues)
Beretta A400
Win SX4
Franchi Affinity

anyone have experience with these?
Beretta A-400 is an updated version of the Beretta AL391. It gets my vote, hands down.

i have a rem 1187 light contour priemer left hand 12ga 2-3/4 and 3 inch mag, i like it.

Thanks Everyone. Heading to Reno to Cabelas and Scheels this morning to see what they actually have in LH shotguns…

Beautiful drive through the Sierras this morning!

I’ll try to post a few pictures

If they have black versions of any of these shotguns can you asses the ability to paint the stock?
Thanks Everyone. Heading to Reno to Cabelas and Scheels this morning to see what they actually have in LH shotguns…

Beautiful drive through the Sierras this mornin

I have the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus. It's the only semi-auto shotgun I have and it's for waterfowl. Great shotgun. If I were you, I would go for a left hand version of the A400 Extreme Plus. If you live in the Dallas area, the Beretta Gallery in Dallas can get you one. Cabela's would probably have to order it.

If they have black versions of any of these shotguns can you asses the ability to paint the stock?
I’ll take a look. Some of these stocks have coatings on them that may make it difficult to get paint to stick. What color did you have in mind to paint?

I have the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus. It's the only semi-auto shotgun I have and it's for waterfowl. Great shotgun. If I were you, I would go for a left hand version of the A400 Extreme Plus. If you live in the Dallas area, the Beretta Gallery in Dallas can get you one. Cabela's would probably have to order it.
I’m a NV Resident. I’m in Reno today looking

As a lefty our choices are limited—
I really like my Benelli SBE II in left hand for waterfowl. I like my Remington 1100 in lefty for shooting ducks. But I also would consider a CZ DRAKE over under that is cerakoted. I bought them for my daughters in 20 gauge. Good shooting guns and work with either hand…

I like the 1100 for shooting doves—

As a lefty our choices are limited—
I really like my Benelli SBE II in left hand for waterfowl. I like my Remington 1100 in lefty for shooting ducks. But I also would consider a CZ DRAKE over under that is cerakoted. I bought them for my daughters in 20 gauge. Good shooting guns and work with either hand…
It seems like I have everything covered with 5 other shotguns.

Double Barrel 20 Gauge CZ - Dove and Quail
Really nice Browning Semi-Auto 12 Gauge for Pheasant and Chucker
Nice Browning O/U 12 Gauge
My Current Beretta for Ducks blind or boat hunting
I also have a 12 Gauge Benelli Nova pump I’ve hunted Deer and Turkey with.

I just want a new shotgun to shoot geese and 3 1/2” shells

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.