Lee Factory Crimp Die

I'd second guess that answer.

As a Wisconsin native I can say that we're a bit of a simpleton crowd thinking of pedestrian calibers and cheap-cheap-cheap due to the prevailing scandinavian and dutch sensibilities. As such, Lee (a Wisconsin company) is beloved for their low prices but they don't get many requests for calibers that are often in "luxury" or "foreign" genres.

Bottom line, Lee makes tons of stuff that work on large bores but they never think to advertise it as such in their product catalogs. You need to look at the neck and rim dimensions of what you own and then cross-reference it to other things like Martini-Henry, Sharps, and lever gun calibers. It's highly likely they make something that will put a factory crimp on a 450-400NE.

On the opposite end of the spectrum but a similar scenario, Redding is in New York and high-end precision shooters are their bread and butter. They also don't openly state that have anything to suit nitro express guns in their catalogs. After a lengthy call with their engineers, I found a dozen shell holders and other items I needed but I had to order them as "Cheytac" or "Dakota" related products but they worked with Jeffery, Rigby, Gibbs, Holland, and other British calibers.

The only companies that actually understand nitro calibers and cater to them are RCBS and CH4D, everybody else accidentally has what we need and they don't even know it.
Interesting insight Rookhawk. I have had Lee FCD made for a 416 Taylor and it worked perfectly ( sent them 3 dummy loads)

I'm thinking I want one for my 450/400 NE 3".
I had bought a 405 Winchester Lee FCD thinking I could make it work for the .416 Taylor. It didn't.

I'm going to try and adjust the .405 Winchester die, and see if I can make that work.

Interesting insight Rookhawk. I have had Lee FCD made for a 416 Taylor and it worked perfectly ( sent them 3 dummy loads)

I'm thinking I want one for my 450/400 NE 3".
I had bought a 405 Winchester Lee FCD thinking I could make it work for the .416 Taylor. It didn't.

I'm going to try and adjust the .405 Winchester die, and see if I can make that work.

@cajunchefray Kynoch specs (CIP) state the 450/400 3” has a neck diameter of .432”. I’d double-triple check that on a factory loaded round of your preferred ammunition. You can never tell if the bullet is slightly bigger or smaller impacting the loaded neck diameter. Once you have that number, take a look at the Lee catalog and see if they have a factory crimp die that is within a few thousandth larger than that and give it a try. I think your idea of trying .405 Win is a good one as that is a very close match.

.416 Rigby is .014” larger in the neck than 450/400 So it may be close enough. 405 win is .004” larger in the neck. In all those odd handgun and rifle rounds Lee already offers a FCD I’m sure you’ll find the right one for your 450/400.

@cajunchefray Kynoch specs (CIP) state the 450/400 3” has a neck diameter of .432”. I’d double-triple check that on a factory loaded round of your preferred ammunition. You can never tell if the bullet is slightly bigger or smaller impacting the loaded neck diameter. Once you have that number, take a look at the Lee catalog and see if they have a factory crimp die that is within a few thousandth larger than that and give it a try. I think your idea of trying .405 Win is a good one as that is a very close match.

.416 Rigby is .014” larger in the neck than 450/400 So it may be close enough. 405 win is .004” larger in the neck. In all those odd handgun and rifle rounds Lee already offers a FCD I’m sure you’ll find the right one for your 450/400.
Hello Rookhawk, Your explanation of the Lee catalog and neck sizes make a lot of sense, if the Lee FCD was .003-,006 over diameter, just screw it down a few turns, until you "feel" the crimp.

I'm going to try the .405 Winchester, for the 450/400 Nitro, just got to find it in my moving boxes.

Thanks
Cajunchefray

I use my 416 Rigby Lee crimp die - I use the Rigby shell holder with a thin shim inserted and it works fine for now.
How much did they say the 404 crimp die would cost ?

... How much did they say the 404 crimp die would cost ?
I just received my .404 Jeffery FCD. Cost was $125 plus shipping ($14.91).

Used it loading practice rounds yesterday. these are great tools, especially on the sloping shoulders and long necks on the 404J.

Wish I had "discovered" the LFC die years ago. Now I have one in almost every caliber I load. Unlike the roll crimp ordinary seating dies will do, these are simple to set up, don't care if the case is a little bit longer or shorter than the others, and won't buckle a case neck if the cases are different lengths. Consistent crimps have improved the accuracy for several of my rifle/load combinations.
From what I'm reading, I should have grabbed the 404J LFC I saw awhile back; it was twice what most calibers were at the time, not $140!

FYI Lee 416 Rem factory crimp die will work on a 404 Jeffery. Sometimes the whole internal collet will come out but most times ok. If it does come out easy to put back in.

The main thing is case length. The 416Rem is 2.850" and the 404J is 2.860". My new Norma brass is around 2.870 and I trim it to 2.860". Works fine.

I crimp on a Lee Classic press so no cam over-perfect for the job IMHO I wouldn't do it on a cam over press. You don't need a heavy crimp.
This sounds promising! How much clearance do you have - i.e. what would be the max neck diameter that would fit in a 416Rem FCD?

My 404J loads with A-Frames and Northforks would need .452" as a minimum, and the cast bullets are a few thousands larger, so .. .455" - .460" would be good.

Thanks in advance!

This sounds promising! How much clearance do you have - i.e. what would be the max neck diameter that would fit in a 416Rem FCD?

My 404J loads with A-Frames and Northforks would need .452" as a minimum, and the cast bullets are a few thousands larger, so .. .455" - .460" would be good.

Thanks in advance!
See photos below. The jaws of the collet measure 0.455" taken out of the die. My loaded ammo Norma Brass & 400gr Woodleigh measure 0.445". Tight but it works. Don't know if you can see it at this resolution but the loaded round has been crimped. Hopefully you can see the line at mouth of the case.

Hope that helps.

PXL_20230605_084623418.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg
PXL_20230605_085826502~2.jpg
PXL_20230605_085136062~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See photos below. The jaws of the collet measure 0.455" taken out of the die. My loaded ammo Norma Brass & 400gr Woodleigh measure 0.445". Tight but it works. Don't know if you can see it at this resolution but the loaded round has been crimped. Hopefully you can see the line at mouth of the case.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 537846View attachment 537848View attachment 537849
John458Lott: Thank you very much for clarifying, then it is just the question of trying to find a 416 Rem FCD. Probably need to order it from the US...so it will take time to get here.

Why not just order a 404J FCD from Lee Precision? I did, when they were not taking custom orders, but that is past and they shipped my 404J FCD in plenty of time for my trip to TZ.

Why not just order a 404J FCD from Lee Precision? I did, when they were not taking custom orders, but that is past and they shipped my 404J FCD in plenty of time for my trip to TZ.
From what I understand, the 404J FCD is threaded 1,25"-12, whereas the 416RM FCD is 7/8"-14, which makes it easier to handle the latter.

Also, the 404 FCD is a custom order, which would take (probably) months to get here, while titanreloading had a 416 die in stock. It is now in transit to my sister who lives in the US, and will hopefully reach her before she comes to visit in a week.

Third is price. The 416 die was a little over $10.

From the Lee website. They list the fcd 404J as a production item that's currently in stock. It is however a large series die.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 8.28.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 8.28.57 AM.png
    935.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 8.29.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 8.29.02 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
My 404J Lee FCD fits in my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, just need to remove the 7/8" insert. It's easy to adjust for crimping and is likewise easy to use.

If it is no longer a custom order, then the price will be very reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!