Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
@cknwax does Lee require you to send a dummy round for the 404J crimp die? They did a few years ago when I ordered mine.

John458Lott

AH member
Reaction score
FYI Lee 416 Rem factory crimp die will work on a 404 Jeffery. Sometimes the whole internal collet will come out but most times ok. If it does come out easy to put back in.

The main thing is case length. The 416Rem is 2.850" and the 404J is 2.860". My new Norma brass is around 2.870 and I trim it to 2.860". Works fine.

I crimp on a Lee Classic press so no cam over-perfect for the job IMHO I wouldn't do it on a cam over press. You don't need a heavy crimp.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I have been waiting for months for Lee to open their custom die shop. I needed a factory crimp die for my 404J. I called today and they took my order and said it would be 8 weeks. I have seen in the past where people were looking for this die. The door is finally open.
Thank you for sharing this information. They did a custom 470 die for me a couple of years ago and it works perfectly

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I had a complete set of dies for my wildcat 25 a FL, seating die, collet die, cartridge trim pilot and factory crimp die made by Lee over 10 years ago and the are still going strong. Even back then I had to wait 3 months but it was well worth the wait. Customer service was second to none.
Bob

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I asked them if they'd ever do loader kits for the .375 H&H again. The answer was 1000 unit minimum order at $41. I guess it's not all roses. Cool thing is that I got a Lyman 310 tool that will load the .375 much more efficiently. I did want a loader kit though.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I asked them if they'd ever do loader kits for the .375 H&H again. The answer was 1000 unit minimum order at $41. I guess it's not all roses. Cool thing is that I got a Lyman 310 tool that will load the .375 much more efficiently. I did want a loader kit though.
@Forrest Halley
You didn't speak to the right person mate. I'm sure Patrick would have helped you out.

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
@Forrest Halley
You didn't speak to the right person mate. I'm sure Patrick would have helped you out.
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen that came straight from John Lee. It's a different mindset and the custom tooling doesn't include the Lee Loader Kit. But how about this: I encourage you to contact him and ask and see if maybe you have greater persuasive powers than I do. To be clear I'm looking at the hand press kit for the mallet not dies for a press.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I just checked. They do not offer one in 450-400

I'd second guess that answer.

As a Wisconsin native I can say that we're a bit of a simpleton crowd thinking of pedestrian calibers and cheap-cheap-cheap due to the prevailing scandinavian and dutch sensibilities. As such, Lee (a Wisconsin company) is beloved for their low prices but they don't get many requests for calibers that are often in "luxury" or "foreign" genres.

Bottom line, Lee makes tons of stuff that work on large bores but they never think to advertise it as such in their product catalogs. You need to look at the neck and rim dimensions of what you own and then cross-reference it to other things like Martini-Henry, Sharps, and lever gun calibers. It's highly likely they make something that will put a factory crimp on a 450-400NE.

On the opposite end of the spectrum but a similar scenario, Redding is in New York and high-end precision shooters are their bread and butter. They also don't openly state that have anything to suit nitro express guns in their catalogs. After a lengthy call with their engineers, I found a dozen shell holders and other items I needed but I had to order them as "Cheytac" or "Dakota" related products but they worked with Jeffery, Rigby, Gibbs, Holland, and other British calibers.

The only companies that actually understand nitro calibers and cater to them are RCBS and CH4D, everybody else accidentally has what we need and they don't even know it.

450 Fuller

Reaction score
The Lee FCD is particularly well suited for lever action-tubular magazine
cartridges like the .348, 33 WCF or 45 Govt. /50 AK/50/450. Their die
places a proper crimp where best needed to discourage any bullet movement in the case.

I have these dies in at least 5 calibers, one of which is the 450 Alaskan-which generates
considerable recoil with 400gr or bullets of greater weight and mass.

Nevada Mike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Certainly Lee produces inexpensive loading tools and related gear. I own a number of their products, but I would not call them "cheaply built", rather 'affordable' and more than adequate for the job.

Their FCD is brilliant. I have them in about every rifle caliber that I reload.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
The crimp built into the seating die is usually adequate, and will work fine while waiting for the LEE.

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I'd second guess that answer.

As a Wisconsin native I can say that we're a bit of a simpleton crowd thinking of pedestrian calibers and cheap-cheap-cheap due to the prevailing scandinavian and dutch sensibilities. As such, Lee (a Wisconsin company) is beloved for their low prices but they don't get many requests for calibers that are often in "luxury" or "foreign" genres.

Bottom line, Lee makes tons of stuff that work on large bores but they never think to advertise it as such in their product catalogs. You need to look at the neck and rim dimensions of what you own and then cross-reference it to other things like Martini-Henry, Sharps, and lever gun calibers. It's highly likely they make something that will put a factory crimp on a 450-400NE.

On the opposite end of the spectrum but a similar scenario, Redding is in New York and high-end precision shooters are their bread and butter. They also don't openly state that have anything to suit nitro express guns in their catalogs. After a lengthy call with their engineers, I found a dozen shell holders and other items I needed but I had to order them as "Cheytac" or "Dakota" related products but they worked with Jeffery, Rigby, Gibbs, Holland, and other British calibers.

The only companies that actually understand nitro calibers and cater to them are RCBS and CH4D, everybody else accidentally has what we need and they don't even know it.
Do you have a spreadsheet on this? This is valuable knowledge and I'd like to know more about what you've learned in this area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YolandaDBasinger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.
Hi,
Going through and old thread I see you mentioned having a William Douglas double in 470NE for sale. Just touching base to see if you sold the rifle, or if it was still for sale?
Regards,
Chris
(Wollongong, NSW)
Hi Chris
Yes, I still have it
Cheers
Steve
Erin Lockwood wrote on Laurine88's profile.
Hi again do you think you could message me your email or some other way to contact you, I've been having error messages trying to send messages via private conversations to you since last night, sorry!