Laymen: what have they asked you?

But on a more serious note, due to most people that I encounter not being hunters, the questions I get the most are:

1. Wide eyed, "Is that legal?" Then asking the question again for most of the iconic species.
2. "What happens with the meat"?
3. "You are not a trophy hunter, are you?"
4. "Can you travel with your gun?"
5. "How many guns do you have?"
6. "How far do they shoot?" Saying any number for any caliber always seems to impress them...

But so far, the truly negative responses have been very limited. 9 out of 10 people that listen to me just show interest and curiosity, with a few follow-up questions.
"How far do they shoot?" should be answered only with "A ways off."

Why Africa? Everything there wants to eat you!
A common belief although I think everyone here can agree that there is a particle of truth in that statement. Or maybe just kill you, DG and all. A very good friend of mine, a deer and elk hunter himself couldn't understand why I would hunt Cape Buffalo, they're dangerous and you could get killed he said. The only answer I could give him was "If you're afraid of dying then you're not really living, are you?" No more questions after that.

My number one question is about meat and do we bring any home. I've started to answer more with questions... Such as, just how would you propose accomplishing that effectively? I mean think of what it would cost? How would you freeze it much less keep it frozen? Can you imagine the red tape? You do realize meat has to be USDA inspected don't you? The airlines lose luggage all the time, would trust them to get your cooler full of meat from Africa without it being rotten?
Then I explain how nothing goes to waste at often pull up a pic of meat hanging in a Zimbabwe village. Followed by a picture of villagers cutting up an elephant. Which leads to "you shot an elephant?!" Well yea, it was raiding local village corn fields, it fed the village for a month! And the rest of the herd buggered off. Elephants are smart that way;)

I only know a couple mid level liberals but even they have connections to animal Agriculture so understand the food chain. I had to explain lion, elephant and rhino hunting to a few of those and even hunters who seem to have issue with elephant, lion, rhino, giraffe, etc.

I've has great success explaining the rhino. Again, what would you do with an old bull that is about to start breeding his own daughters? The zoos have all they want. It has nowhere else to go. It has done it's breeding and needs to make way for the next generation but is not going to step aside peacefully. They are animals you know! The breeding their daughters sets them back on their heels enough to allow time to explain the rest of the rhino story. Necessity for expensive security. Limited options for raising money due to ban on selling rhino horn. Etc.

Wild lion is quite easy, would you like excess large male lions with limited hunting options wandering around the paths your children and elderly parents walk the streets to school or wherever? What about the village livestock that provides their means of living The? The locals are going to do what they can to eliminate large predators unless they are both controlled and provide some income.

As for the money... I started with next to nothing. Like $1000 cash and a work ethic and some ambition. I also had a credit rating and reputation in my business at an early age, before o was out of high school. It is about choices made over the long term. Most people who know me, certainly my peers and family, all know this so I don't typically get any of the money animosity. @Just Gina has a similar story but went down the path of utilizing her substantial abities to further her education and become a high earner per hour. But sacrificed greatly to get herself there in spite of substantial hurdles.

It is fun watching this little woman explain hunting. Especially to another woman who wants to know how she can kill animals, and to make an issue of it...

With a high caliber rifle of course;)

I got this one this year at thanksgiving:

I've explained that the most dangerous part of my first hunt was sitting on a cactus posing for pictures... But yes, dangerous game is, well, dangerous! And that is all part of the challenge! There are backups such as having an experienced well armed PH at your side.

Honestly I think I was in the most personal danger on my mountain goat hunt. Could have easily fell to my death or drowned crossing the river.

I think the “what did you do with the meat” question is sometimes driven by the assumption that “trophy hunters” just cut the heads off and leave the meat to rot. I patiently explain that not a scrap goes to waste…that the people who receive the meat really need it…that the recipients have a stake in the conservation program…etc. That generally satisfies the curious and shuts up the anti-hunters.

My hunting friends ask how much, I tell them you can go to Africa hunt 4-6 plains game animals all Trophy quality for less than a guided Elk or Mule Deer hunt in the USA, and there is no guarantee to get a Bull or Buck.

The best question I got was, "how does that work?"

I said, "what do you mean?"

He goes, "You read about a hunt on the internet, you talk to some guy in a foreign country, send some money and then show up in a country with a gun?"

My reply, "Yes....but it is not as crazy as you described".

He goes, "You read about a hunt on the internet, you talk to some guy in a foreign country, send some money and then show up in a country with a gun?"

My reply, "Yes....but it is not as crazy as you described".

That's actually so accurate... you talk to some stranger over mail/whatsapp, he gives you an African bank account number, you wire a large chunk of cash and a few months later you arrive in-country with a rifle and a box of ammunition and you hope somebody is waiting for you at the airport and it wasn't all a scam.

That's actually so accurate... you talk to some stranger over mail/whatsapp, he gives you an African bank account number, you wire a large chunk of cash and a few months later you arrive in-country with a rifle and a box of ammunition and you hope somebody is waiting for you at the airport and it wasn't all a scam.

There was a really long pause in there, because I almost followed up with, "my internet friends say the guy is legit, so not totally random".

when my buddy went to wire money from his Bank to the outfit we hunted with last year, the Bank manager said "Do you know these People?"he said no but send it anyway

The snide "must be nice" remarks is the one that sets me off pretty quick. Usually it's from someone who buys new cars every other year, gambles heavily, works minimally or just pisses money away. I use to explain how I drive 10+ year old cars, no credit card debt, etc... Now I tell them to Fk off because it's none of their Fking business what I do with the money I earn.

My family and good friends never made that statement. They know how I live.

I got this one this year at thanksgiving:

The correct answer is.... Because everything there wants to eat you!

:cool:

But on a more serious note, due to most people that I encounter not being hunters, the questions I get the most are:

1. Wide eyed, "Is that legal?" Then asking the question again for most of the iconic species.
2. "What happens with the meat"?
3. "You are not a trophy hunter, are you?"
4. "Can you travel with your gun?"
5. "How many guns do you have?"
6. "How far do they shoot?" Saying any number for any caliber always seems to impress them...

But so far, the truly negative responses have been very limited. 9 out of 10 people that listen to me just show interest and curiosity, with a few follow-up questions.
I live in the North East, not to far from NYC and this is amost the same for me.

Once I get explaining the conservation end of things, I almost always get a positive reaction and although a few would choose another way for me to enjoy my vacations; I have never been chided for my involvement.

Interesting enough; it’s other hunters who get all bent out of shape. Much rather talk to a non hunter than another hunter about my trips. Not even close, I dont even bother if they hunt deer.

The most common questions from non hunters are:

Is it legal

are the animals endangered

How many can you shoot

Can you take a gun there

Why do you want to kill it

What do you do with the meat, does it just get wasted.

and my favourite question:

What does your wife say about this

————————————

Questions from hunters/shooters

How much did it cost

Is success guaranteed ( I really scratch my head with that one. My response is generally “it’s called hunting for a reason “ )

How do you get the head home

—————————————-

Comments from hunters that are really statements, not questions.

I don’t pay to hunt

I don’t want to be lead around by someone and told what to shoot

I’m not a trophy hunter, I just hunt for meat ( yet many have heads mounted and or photos of their trophies ready to show you)

Nah, too expensive for me .

I’m gunna do that one day! ( but they never do)

And from Australian hunters/ shooters only: I only shoot feral animals

The snide "must be nice" remarks is the one that sets me off pretty quick. Usually it's from someone who buys new cars every other year, gambles heavily, works minimally or just pisses money away. I use to explain how I drive 10+ year old cars, no credit card debt, etc... Now I tell them to Fk off because it's none of their Fking business what I do with the money I earn.

My family and good friends never made that statement. They know how I live.
My response has always been….yes, it’s very nice.

My response has always been….yes, it’s very nice.

Yep… similar response here as well…

Usually it’s something along the lines of “thank you… you’re right.. it’s exceptionally nice… if you’re legitimately interested in experiencing something similar for yourself, I’d be happy to show you how…”

Which typically gets a “there’s no way” type answer…

Then I ask them “have you ever spent a week at Disney?”… followed by “what if I told you that you could hunt South Africa for a week for less than you spent at Disney?”…

Then they’re hooked lol…

With the knuckleheads I hunt elk with, it's always about the meat. I've told them the meat from the animals we shot feeds the hunters, lodge staff and their families and the rest is either sold or given away to the locals and their families. One of the guys and his son spent some $23K (all in) to take two moose (one cow and a SMALL bull), a SMALL black bear and a caribou in Newfoundland about four years ago. They had the meat processed and shipped from Newfoundland to Texas by semi. Well, they got their meat! LOL Oh, and their going back there this October for the same because the moose are in rut then. Maybe they'll get a bull with antlers wider than it's ears this time? Either way, they'll get their meat! LOL

Last edited:
With the knuckleheads I hunt elk with, it's always about the meat. I've told them the meat from the animals we shot feeds the hunters, lodge staff and their families and the rest is either sold or given away to the locals and their families. One of the guys and his son spent some $23K (all in) to take two moose (one cow and a SMALL bull), a SMALL black bear and a caribou in Newfoundland about four years ago. They had the meat processed and shipped from Newfoundland to Texas by semi. Well, they got their meat! LOL Oh, and their going back there this October for the same because the moose are in rut then. Maybe they'll get a bull with antlers wider than it's ears this time? Either way, they'll get their meat! LOL
Not gonna lie, I'm primarily a meat hunter. But I'd sure as heck pull the trigger on a 9x9 or a 72" rack in a new york minute. But I live by the rule that I won't pass on an animal on the morning of day 1 that I would shoot at dusk on the last day of the hunt. A bird in hand and all that.

I love all kinds of wild game, and I especially love to find new ways to cook it. A 400# carcass is certainly better than 300#, but I can't cook what I don't have in the freezer.

Most people are stay at home and watch television type people.
And the junk they watch is often very simple.
Sports games and violent Hollywood movies are apparently the most common viewed ones here in the USA, possibly elsewhere as well.
As such, average people usually do not know anything about what the earth has to offer for travelers , especially what the various countries within Africa have to offer to its traveling visitors.
It is sad but evidently, that is the way it is today.

When people ask me stupid questions about Africa and hunting / fishing anywhere really, I try to not sound annoyed.
I just try to make a small joke by replying, “You really should go out and see what this world has to offer”.

One of the most common questions that stay at home people ask me is, “Why would you shoot a zebra” ?
When I reply that they really are quite good eating, especially Hartmann’s zebra”, they often say either, “ I would never shoot a zebra” or, “I thought zebras are endangered and protected”.
Such people wear me out and make me tired.
But, I try to gently educate them, probably with little success but, they ask and I answer as best I can.

Like a lot of other posts and posters, #1 is a question about the meat and except for some relatives, my circle of friends and acquaintances are all gun and/or hunting enthusiasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrodieLazz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.