Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
When you are sitting on the plane enjoying a few cocktails, rifles and ammo in the hold and papers all neatly ready in your brief case in the overhead, there is no doubt that you are on your way to heaven. Relax, smile, and be happy, there are few who can appreciate what the next few weeks hold in store for you.
But a few weeks is far too brief, so lets spread the pre and post hunt experiences our before us to smile some more. Getting to know one's quarry is such a wonderful experience, their habits, where they will be at dawn and late afternoon, mannerisms, even danger. Drink it all in, pre-run a stalk, imagine a charge.
Then there is the equipment prep, not just the new rifle on order, but the clothing, paying respect to the animals on the ticket, honouring traditions. Thoughtful gifts for your PH and the trackers, and never forget the chef, even the humble camp cleaners. Something personal, like a jacket, a few Leatherman knives, a super torch perhaps. Shop for these things, preferably visit an outfitter store, pick up a book while you are at it.
Getting yourself in shape, a safari is a great excuse to find that energy, weight check every day and feel good about the progress as much as because of it.
Then the intangible one, the mind cast. We glibly call this 'looking forward to it', but this is the biggie; blessed is the man or woman who can send their mind ahead to bring back thought treasure. Savour, smile, dream, all are allowed. Reading that book you picked up, going online, delving, learning, imagining. Sniff the leather and the walnut, and the cordite at the range. Puff a good cigar in celebration that all your senses are firing on eight cylinders.
Then, getting back to where we began, the trip itself. We will leave all those emotions for another post, but suffice it to say that heaven is special, you will not be disappointed.
Finally, the trip home and the after glow. Sharing the experience not just through the relaying, that is outer layer stuff, but open your heart so all who know you can truly get there too. This time in thought, hopefully next time in person because you lit their fire. Africa has always been here, it isn't going away. Breathe deeply and be grateful that you are a hunter.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you