Latest on CBP form 4457

Jewelry? Interesting, never crossed my mind to list my Rolex watch, but never had them ask either.
99%+ of the time they won’t. But if you’re coming back form certain locations and have a really high value item you might get asked.

For instance a friend attended a watch show in Switzerland. He took some watches to have valued and possibly sell he filled out a 4457. Good thing because when he came back he was asked. I think they flag things like that where a guy might be bringing back a 6 figure watch on his wrist.

Your regular 5 figure Rolex is less likely to get a question. London like your wife’s engagement ring won’t but if she walks through with the necklace from Titanic they might ask for proof of ownership.
 
If you are coming through with a watch on your wrist, it’s looked at differently than coming back with a watch in the original box with papers. Box and papers are going to raise suspicion. Especially if the watch in question is on your wrist. Easy enough to take care of by declaring these items you purchased while out of the US.
 
If you are coming through with a watch on your wrist, it’s looked at differently than coming back with a watch in the original box with papers. Box and papers are going to raise suspicion. Especially if the watch in question is on your wrist. Easy enough to take care of by declaring these items you purchased while out of the US.
I really appreciate you mentioning it. For sake of less hassle if no other reason, I will start adding it and any jewelry my wife might take. Thanks for the heads up.
 
If you are coming through with a watch on your wrist, it’s looked at differently than coming back with a watch in the original box with papers. Box and papers are going to raise suspicion. Especially if the watch in question is on your wrist. Easy enough to take care of by declaring these items you purchased while out of the US.
Or just ship the box and papers via postage.
 
Or just ship the box and papers via postage.
Or you can save yourself the hassle and declare it. It opens you up to paying the duty tax on the amount you paid over your exemption but you will be worry free.

Example: You bought a $10K watch and have an $800 exemption. You will pay 3-6% duty on $9200...total up to $552. Then your watch has been imported LEGALY and without hassle.

Or don't declare it. Seeing as I'm not likely to suffer the consequences of your actions, I'm cool with it.
 
Just last night I flew home from South Africa, through Dulles Airport. When my name was called, the Border Patrol lady asked me to place my gun case on the table and said the following, 'unlock your case, do not open it, step back from the table'. I did as instructed, she and a fellow officer opened the case, checked the serial number, the one guy yells to the head guy and says, 'you should come look at this rifle'. The head guy comes over, I say to him, 'go ahead and pick it up, see how light it is', the head guy does pick it up, says 'wow, what caliber?' I say, '308', it was at that moment the head guy sees the suppressor and says, 'wow, this thing suppressed is a sweet rig', 'looks like we're all good here'. So I shut the case, locked it up, and was walked to the exit.

When I first met the young Border Patrol lady, I handed her my 4457 and Tax Stamp for the suppressor. Not one question was asked about the suppressor.
 
Just last night I flew home from South Africa, through Dulles Airport. When my name was called, the Border Patrol lady asked me to place my gun case on the table and said the following, 'unlock your case, do not open it, step back from the table'. I did as instructed, she and a fellow officer opened the case, checked the serial number, the one guy yells to the head guy and says, 'you should come look at this rifle'. The head guy comes over, I say to him, 'go ahead and pick it up, see how light it is', the head guy does pick it up, says 'wow, what caliber?' I say, '308', it was at that moment the head guy sees the suppressor and says, 'wow, this thing suppressed is a sweet rig', 'looks like we're all good here'. So I shut the case, locked it up, and was walked to the exit.

When I first met the young Border Patrol lady, I handed her my 4457 and Tax Stamp for the suppressor. Not one question was asked about the suppressor.
Pretty close to my experience at Dulles a few weeks ago. The guy was more interested in asking about my double rifle than doing much of a check. Went pretty quick.
 
If you are coming through with a watch on your wrist, it’s looked at differently than coming back with a watch in the original box with papers. Box and papers are going to raise suspicion. Especially if the watch in question is on your wrist. Easy enough to take care of by declaring these items you purchased while out of the US.
Quite a few cartels are utilizing watches to get back customs and border patrol matters. This is a large part of the focus on a seemingly otherwise benign personal accessory.
 
Same goat rope for years. There is no standard that all CBP offices go by. Ask 2 of them the same question and you'll get 2 different answers. It was such a problem that my CBP officer would send you a 4457 thru the mail so you could avoid going to a CBP office. I talked to a client a couple days ago that lives on a ranch 60 miles from any town. He has to drive 300 miles to get a 4457. That's ridiculous!
 
If you are coming through with a watch on your wrist, it’s looked at differently than coming back with a watch in the original box with papers. Box and papers are going to raise suspicion. Especially if the watch in question is on your wrist. Easy enough to take care of by declaring these items you purchased while out of the US.
Or just mail the box.
20260921_110600.jpg


Was todays side quest. Didnt buy anything but had a good look. But on side note in times when USD rate is strong you can get 18% vat back in eu switzerland sadly is only 8%

So in theory you can save a decent bit.
 
Or just mail the box.View attachment 794038

Was todays side quest. Didnt buy anything but had a good look. But on side note in times when USD rate is strong you can get 18% vat back in eu switzerland sadly is only 8%

So in theory you can save a decent bit.
Any mail coming from outside the US is subject to TSA inspection. I'm not saying it will be inspected, just that it's subject to one and there is a possibility of having to pay a duty on it.
 
Any mail coming from outside the US is subject to TSA inspection. I'm not saying it will be inspected, just that it's subject to one and there is a possibility of having to pay a duty on it.
An empty box is an empty box.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,188
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top