Knifes and such

greyfox

AH fanatic
Joined
Sep 24, 2012
Messages
669
Reaction score
644
Hunting reports
Africa
1
I am going on safari next July (2014), and my son and daughter in law are joining me for a few days. I want soemthing special for all of us, so I am thinking a warthog tusk handle custom knife set with warthog leather sheaths, etc. I am thinking if I take a warthog (on my list) and they each take one, using the tusks for handles, have one hide tanned for the leather..
I got the idea from a man here who went to RSA a few years ago,

So the question is, who, where and how much. I think it would be cheaper, better, more authentic to have the work done in RSA, anyone know any good knife makers there??

thanks.
 
That sounds like a great idea. Also consider some of the local hardwoods for handles - we have some beautiful stuff. Wild olive is particularly special. Warthog hide is fairly thin so the sheath will need to be laminated, I'd imagine. But we have a thriving group of knife makers in SA producing exceptional work & organised into a Guild - see http://www.kgsa.co.za/ Two makers I can recommend are Rob Brown & Andre Olivier. I have knives from both & they are very good.
 
Interesting, I did not know warthog hide is thin. Here. In the USA, our hogs have thick, tough hides.
After I posted I found a maker in Bethlehem, he uses buffalo hide.

thank you
 
Who are you going to use in Bethlehem? Buffalo hide makes a brilliant sheath.
 
Bernardo? I figured I'd ask Marius if he has any recomendations, Just something I'm thinking about, a custom set of knives for my son, daughter in law, and I??

Arno Bernard Knives Home Page
 
Beautiful knives. I especially like the simplicity of the Kudu line.
 
Bernardo? I figured I'd ask Marius if he has any recomendations, Just something I'm thinking about, a custom set of knives for my son, daughter in law, and I??

Arno Bernard Knives Home Page

I have a warthog scaled Arno Bernard - it is just plain fantastic. It was a gift from a friend and without question is the nicest knife I have in my collection.

They are truly heirloom knives.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,264
Members
169,515
Latest member
RubyeShead
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top