Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H

Seriously I have fought off the urge to by a 2nd .375 multiple times. But for me it is a matter of function.

I have a Model 70 Super Express. It is a great gun. Great looking, shoots easy since it weighs 10lbs scoped, loaded and with a sling. It screams "Africa" which is why I bought it a couple decades before I ever hunted DG...or was even sure I would. I just wanted to.

But I would hate to take that gun in really shitty weather, like bear hunting in Alaska...rain, salt spray, banging thorough wet vegetation etc. Or Moose hunting in Newfoundland.

I long for a .375 in Stainless with a synthetic stock that is practical if not "beautiful". I wouldn't abuse it, but it would low maintenance compare to my Super Express. And lighter. Want something more in the 8.5-9 lb range all in even if it thumps a little more. I mean, you carry them more than you shoot them and other than getting the scope sighted in on the bench, you are shooting from more recoil tolerant positions. I don't shoot guns bigger than a .300 prone

I have a .375 H&H Kimber Talkeetna, had the barrel cut down from 24” to 20”, barrel retapered, with a Leupold 2.5x8 scope it weighs 7lbs 11oz. Sweet rifle when you’re carrying it! When I go to the range I attach a muzzle brake and slip on a Limbsaver butt pad, it’s a real pleasure to shoot. When hunting, I remove those 2 things and I honestly don’t feel the recoil as much as you’d think you would.

I have a .375 H&H Kimber Talkeetna, had the barrel cut down from 24” to 20”, barrel retapered, with a Leupold 2.5x8 scope it weighs 7lbs 11oz. Sweet rifle when you’re carrying it! When I go to the range I attach a muzzle brake and slip on a Limbsaver butt pad, it’s a real pleasure to shoot. When hunting, I remove those 2 things and I honestly don’t feel the recoil as much as you’d think you would.
That's the thing. I never feel/hear anything when shooting animal. I almost can't remember shooting other than the fact an animal gets shot. The shot just doesn't register.

Just got to get through the sight in session.

I’m probably not the person to ask as I picked up not 1 but 2 375H&Hs this afternoon that I ordered last week. Both of these are CZ 550s in left handed. These now join my Winchester Safari Express in 375 H&H I bought last November. Yes, I maybe developing a bit of a problem. . My plan is to take one of these rifles from today and have it re-barreled to 404 Jeffery and have a new synthetic stock put on the other one and have it cerakoted to make an all weather/Alaska type rifle. I figure as hard as it has been to find CRF rifles in left hand I better get while the getting was good. Now back the the original topic, that Kimber Caprivi is a nice looking rifle for sure.

I think that is rifle is on consignment. I know its been there since mid November 2022.

Seriously I have fought off the urge to by a 2nd .375 multiple times. But for me it is a matter of function.

I have a Model 70 Super Express. It is a great gun. Great looking, shoots easy since it weighs 10lbs scoped, loaded and with a sling. It screams "Africa" which is why I bought it a couple decades before I ever hunted DG...or was even sure I would. I just wanted to.

But I would hate to take that gun in really shitty weather, like bear hunting in Alaska...rain, salt spray, banging thorough wet vegetation etc. Or Moose hunting in Newfoundland.

I long for a .375 in Stainless with a synthetic stock that is practical if not "beautiful". I wouldn't abuse it, but it would low maintenance compare to my Super Express. And lighter. Want something more in the 8.5-9 lb range all in even if it thumps a little more. I mean, you carry them more than you shoot them and other than getting the scope sighted in on the bench, you are shooting from more recoil tolerant positions. I don't shoot guns bigger than a .300 prone
I have one with pretty furniture for Africa and another with B&C stock and cerakote for Alaska. I think you need another one! :A Thumbs Up:

I have one with pretty furniture for Africa and another with B&C stock and cerakote for Alaska. I think you need another one! :A Thumbs Up:
Yea
Who can argue with impeccable logic like that?
I mean besides a wife

Should check on that CRF question, I thought it was push and then the extractor snaps over the cart rim on chambering. Can anyone straighten me out?
Thank you.

Only advertising I can find says—a Mauser extractor groove reliability ejects the cartridge cases— not real sure myself

My talkeetna is more of a hybrid crf/push as I understand it. It pushes the cartridge forward then controls the cartridge as it is chambering. It does not control from the beginning of the stroke. It has a large Mauser extractor but doesn't control the cartridge as much as my Interarms Mark X. I'm also assuming that the talkeetna is the same as the caprivi, just stainless and synthetic. (Both are kimber 8400 actions)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg