Kenya

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jan 15, 2016
Messages
282
Reaction score
447
Location
Exmoor
Media
22
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Hi all,
I am interested to hear folks thoughts on the wild life management in Kenya. I know that hunting is not allowed.
I have read somewhere that most of the poached ivory and rhino horn is shipped from Kenya.
Giraffes are in decline but there is a claim that elephant are increasing.
The Kenyans are very bold about the effect their rangers have against poaching( I am sceptical)
I have never been to Kenya but have been to S.A., Namibia and Botswana 5 or 6 times and I get the feeling that a lot of the Kenyan safari,s are "set up" for tourists.
I have friends thinking of going to Kenya and I am trying to put them off but all they keep banging on about is the Wildebeest migration.
Thanks, Markcz
 
@MarkCZ : One of the absolute best trips my wife and I did while living in Lagos, Nigeria for six years was our photo safari to Kenya and the Maasai Mara. We went a few weeks ahead of the great migration, mainly due to a lower cost (it's still expensive) and smaller crowds. The camp or glamp was only about 40% full.

This is the link to the report I posted:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/kenya-maasai-mara-photo-safari-june-2017.39024/

I've done several hunts and also several photo safaris. You see more animals on photo safaris and they do get somewhat use to the vehicles and people.
 
The wildebeest migration in Kenya is in the Masai Mara area. Look at the size of it compared to the Serengeti and Ngorogoro Conservation Area in Tanzania where the rest of the migration takes place. @375 Ruger Fan has a map showing the size discrepancy. Rains come at different times to different parts of the ecosystem. The herds move in a clockwise manner around the Serengeti, into the Mara and back. The animals spend more time in Tanzania. Check out the information. You may have a bigger window of viewing. Also check for flights into Arusha and tour costs in both countries then make up your mind. Realize that everyone from around the world has seen TV documentaries about the wildebeest migration and want to come when the animals are congregated. Prices for these tours go WAY up in both countries. ie: if lions have a kill, don't be suprised if your tour vehicle is one of ten surrounding the event. Getting photos without showing other vehicles can become a challenge. There are many other great parks in Northern Tanzania that you might want to consider at less expensive times. Amboseli was a good park in Kenya. I was disappointed with Tsavo .

Also if you want to do any hunting, you have many options in northern Tanzania. It will tend to be more expensive than hunting in southern Africa however.

All the best.

PS: Ngoro Ngoro Crater is my favorite place in the world. Sharing it with other people is the depressing part. If you go to Tanzania, spend at least one day at the crater, with the other 3/4 of the people that came on your airplane.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,428
Messages
1,575,950
Members
170,483
Latest member
LucasCooks
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top