Kansas Draw

rsmurray

Titanium supporter
AH veteran
Joined
Jan 13, 2022
Messages
152
Reaction score
400
Media
22
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Me and a few hunting buddies have been leasing same area in Kansas (12/13) for 15 yrs now. During that time, I have failed to draw non- resident whitetail bowhunting tags only 2 times. The rest of our 11 men have had same averages. This year, we only had 3/11 draw successfully and I have heard similar results from other clubs around us and even several hours away from us. KDWP says this is due to increase comp for tags, more folks with points putting in etc. The problem with that is the abrupt change this year. Our area has averaged 60-85% success in the draw over the last 5 yrs according to KDWP. Our actual experience as I have stated has been much better than that, as has many other clubs in these units. I actually believe there was some type of "goal" set this year for reduction of non resident success. We have actually seen less and less other hunters at the diner, at the Cstore and the local processor went out of bidness!!!! There are half doz state "walk in" areas close by and some of our hunters have gone into these areas to rattle etc the last two years and they see nobody. It's public access and they see nobody! Anyone else had same experience?
 
How were deer numbers looking last season? rumors are being kept quiet but hearing major ehd kill off last year?? Im one of those guys that will finally have time to go and burned all my wasted pref points this season on a tag.
 
We saw no EHD evidence last year. Our landowner runs cattle and is out in fields daily if he sees a buzzard he will investigate!
 
KDWP , can kiss my ass , my collage roommate has Big piece of land in western Kansas, which has some gigantic whitetail and muledeer, , a rifle permit for Kansas is impossible to get as a NR and bow over their is not happening due to the terrain and lack of permits in his units
 
Last edited:
New Mexico used to be easier to draw before the horde’s started applying. Hopefully Kansas hasn’t gone that way. Too many hunters chasing fewer tags.
 
We are in Cedar Vale which is 60 mi west of Bartlesville,Ok and 20 mi N of Ok/Ks border. While we see the occasional 200” deer come out of Units 12/13 more commonly we’ll have a couple in the mid 60’s every year and every once in a great while something in 70/80’s but our avg 5-6 yr old will run mid 40’s. Very few outfitters mostly leases like ours so I dont understand the sudden change in draw stats.
 
Nobody up there answering phone much last 48 hrs. They kicked an ant hill!
 
13 out of 15 years sounds extremely greedy!!

Kidding i hope i draw 13 out of the next 15. All drawers received a payment failed email even tho funds cleared days ago. Im sure the phone is ringing non stop….
 
For various reasons, we have more hunters spending mucho money and applying for more hunts than ever before.
The last few years dare I say any draw states/for any/every animals there has been an uptick of applicants by 30-40% or more. From Nebraska mule deer to wyoming elk/everything to iowa whitetails.
There is also more hunters going to Africa than ever before in my opinion.
I don’t know if people just checking off bucket lists or spending all their money before they get too old but things are going up and the people aint stopping their spending. That’s for sure.
I probably won’t draw a Mulie tag this year in Nebraska with 1 point. 100% odds until last year. Now it’s like 23% odds with 1 point in the unit my outfitter has.
By 2030, out west and Midwest will be twice as complex to navigate hunting opportunities as it is today. Missouri is talking about going to draw for nonresidents. Oklahoma is starting to charge for public land use to no residents, like a permit for hundreds of dollars and that’s aside from the $500 tag fee and the $100 license or whatnot.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,841
Members
170,180
Latest member
gavinbenedict
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top