Just finishing my safari and joined yesterday

Actually, quite the opposite. I was in the process of answering your question about trophies.

Mrs "NO HEADS" now has designed that huge trophy incorporating the 4 cape buffalo, hung euro mounts on the stairway, has 5 zebra rugs - in various rooms of the house. I might point out, 1 is on the floor of her walk-in closet, and an eland backskin in on the floor of her walk-in closet's walk-in closet.

She and her friends refer to that combo as her "Store", since that's what it looks like. Placed around the room, in no order I can determined, are her alligator, crocodile, ostrich, zebra, and lord knows what else - bags, purses, handbags, you name it.

If I find the person who introduced her to that "Nice lady who used to work for Hermes", I will beat the living crap out of him/her/they/them/shim/? (California remember?)

It's not the new hobby.

Statistics show one of the most stressful events, resulting in divorce, a married couple can experience is building a new house.

Your question about trophies was very timely. We are looking at houses/property in several other states with the intention of shop/mancave/trophy room.
It’s always surprising how fun it’s is to plan on where the trophies are going. And then when you get them you’ll be running around the house like a kid during Christmas.

it also sounds like you’re wife is in need a
rattlesnake skin pair of shoes in her collection.

It’s always surprising how fun it’s is to plan on where the trophies are going. And then when you get them you’ll be running around the house like a kid during Christmas.

it also sounds like you’re wife is in need a
rattlesnake skin pair of shoes in her collection.
I read her your suggestion; she's not a fan of snakeskin, although she does have a python wallet.

She spent a week in Vic Falls with me at the beginning of my hunt; we went to the croc farm and she bought a few smaller things. I was quite surprised she didn't get one of their handbags.

With the exception of some wallets, their stuff is geared toward women; too bad, it looks well made - I'd have purchased a gear bag if they had some.

Her shoe choices are croc, alligator, ostrich. I think her Courteneys and Russells are ostrich.

The crocs and gators I've taken are all too big for shoes. I'm going to LA later this month for a gator hunt, I'll see if I can grab some extra hides.

On the subject of shoes; my rhino hide is tanned, stateside, and on it's way. Although I'm not a boot guy, I think I'll make an exception for rhino.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pictures of the hippo with the weird tusk I got in Namibia last year.
68121361282__B8C401A9-221D-47CD-B1BA-5A0B895275E0.jpeg
IMG_5519.jpeg

He’s a insanely good hippo! Well done
Thanks
IMG_5505.jpeg
IMG_5515.jpeg

The top picture is of the guys attaching a rope so he can be winched out.

He was down in that grass - grazing with his back to me; in fact, all I could see was his back and a bit of the back of his head. I honestly thought it was a dead cow carcass.

We were a few miles away near the Chobe River when a villager called to report the hippo. The village was just a couple hundred yds away from this channel and the hippo had been making a mess of the gardens.

The road from the village brought us in on the opposite side of the channel from the hippo. Everybody kept pointing saying, "Shoot, shoot", and I kept asking, "Why do I need to shoot a dead cow?"

I finally noticed his ears wiggling so I tried to find an acceptable angle for a shot and set up the sticks. I had to settle for a spot just aft and below his right ear - across to his left eye.

He sunk into the grass and the boys brought in the boat. The PH had to backtrack and come in on the other side of the channel with his truck in order to winch him out. We had no idea of his unique tusk until he was completely out and rolled over.

I wondered why none of the villagers mentioned the tusk - I knew they had seen him, his tracks were all over the village as well as leading back and forth from the channel

The skinners figured out the most likely reason - he was peppered with buckshot and musket balls. Not that they had done any damage. The villagers knew if they gave specific details the Game Scout would realize who shot him.

The lower picture shows he had his share and more of conflicts.

The bottom picture is the exit wound.

IMG_5517.jpeg

I like to do leather craft and I love working with exotics. She’s smart for getting Nile croc goods.

View attachment 557267
This is a pair of batwing chaps I made out of two blue wildebeest hides

Rhino/elephant is a really good choice of hide. You could make just about anything with that.
There’s a company called sky horse saddlery. They made a really cool saddled out of elephant skin. On YouTube look up elephant skin saddled it is crazy good
Those are cool looking chaps. I'm not a horse guy - but those are really nice. Nice work.

I've got some wildebeest hides, they are pretty.

Not certain yet what to do with all the hides and leather - I might hit you up for some suggestions.

Thanks
View attachment 557270View attachment 557271
The top picture is of the guys attaching a rope so he can be winched out.

He was down in that grass - grazing with his back to me; in fact, all I could see was his back and a bit of the back of his head. I honestly thought it was a dead cow carcass.

We were a few miles away near the Chobe River when a villager called to report the hippo. The village was just a couple hundred yds away from this channel and the hippo had been making a mess of the gardens.

The road from the village brought us in on the opposite side of the channel from the hippo. Everybody kept pointing saying, "Shoot, shoot", and I kept asking, "Why do I need to shoot a dead cow?"

I finally noticed his ears wiggling so I tried to find an acceptable angle for a shot and set up the sticks. I had to settle for a spot just aft and below his right ear - across to his left eye.

He sunk into the grass and the boys brought in the boat. The PH had to backtrack and come in on the other side of the channel with his truck in order to winch him out. We had no idea of his unique tusk until he was completely out and rolled over.

I wondered why none of the villagers mentioned the tusk - I knew they had seen him, his tracks were all over the village as well as leading back and forth from the channel

The skinners figured out the most likely reason - he was peppered with buckshot and musket balls. Not that they had done any damage. The villagers knew if they gave specific details the Game Scout would realize who shot him.

The lower picture shows he had his share and more of conflicts.

The bottom picture is the exit wound.

View attachment 557272
Very impressive shooting and a great story

Thanks,

Next up is leopard, it's the only one missing from the Big Five.

I had a chance at one on my first hunt in 2018. We were moving to get a clear view of a kudu and a huge leopard jumped out of bush on one side of the truck, right over the hood, and went into a bush on the other side of the truck.

The PH and I were both standing in the back looking at each other with a "Did you see that/" look on our faces.

The leopard was at the bottom of a bush just a few feet from the side of the truck, but I didn't have a clear shot at him. Too much brush and too many limbs for me to attempt a shot - so i didn't.

Two subsequent attempts have failed to yield positive results, but I am confident my next hunt will be successful. I will be returning next year to the area where I got the lion.
Hello and welcome @Franco. Great reporting! What concession in Zambia did you hunt? I was in Zambia last year as well.

Wow, the wine business in Napa Valley must really be good!!! Congratulations on a lifetime hunt.

Me neither-welcome to the site, glad you joined the ranks. Have enjoyed your narratives and am envious of the time you have spent in wonderful places. Would love a full mounted lion in my man cave! Leopard is my greatest dream, I’m sure yours will come true soon enough and look forward to reading about it. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: USN
Since some of you have asked, I'll try to go back to my first hunt in 2018 and provide a little background and some photos.

I honestly don't know what inspired me to pick hunting in Africa, it just happened.

Bad dream, something I ate, Hatari or Tarzan movie - something got me interested. In retrospect it was it most likely a combo of "Idle hands are the devil's workshop", and too much time on my hands.

Whatever the cause, I Googled, "Hunting in Africa" and Shakari Connection popped up so I started reading. I had stumbled upon the "Reader's Digest" version of Hemingway.

Slowly - at first, I began to imagine myself, in full khaki - armed with a double - following in the footsteps of Roosevelt, facing lions, elephants, buffalo - all the challenges Africa presents. (Shakari has sections dedicated to each of the above - and more)

Totally captivated - I read on. "HELL YES - I could do this".

Ladies, at this point I would like to caution you; when you leave your retired husband at home, unsupervised. This sort of thing can happen.

Listed in the section, "African Hunting Rifles" was Heym, USA; there it was - a phone number in the US. I dialed and Chris Sells answered - blame or credit, that's what set the wheels turning.

Who knows, if he hadn't answered I might have moved on and Googled "Building Your Own Boat".

My wife was barely through the door when I announced, enthusiastically - "I'm going hunting in Africa". I'm fairly certain, "You're going to do what?" were the first words to leave her lips. "What, why, when, OH dear God, and you can't be serious, preceded - YOU DON'T EVEN HUNT", all clear and distinct. I'm not sure what followed, I could see her lips moving but I don't think they were forming real words.

"Honey, I got this - it's right here - I Googled it".

Her response was definitely "Oh dear God".

"Look, it's right here on this website - they list everything you need, shoes, pants, shirts, hats, guns - everything". And I talked to a guy, he said if we come to the DSC Convention in Dallas I can get everything right there".

She invoked God a third time.

* Guys, I would like to point out my use of the inclusive, "WE".

For whatever reason, and this is not the forum for speculation, she said, "Well be careful".

DSC Convention 2018 was one-stop shopping. Shoes, pants, shirts, binoculars, 2 rifles, Outfitter/PH, airline tickets - I am set.

The plan was to attend a shooting school - FTW, prior to my hunt. Great plan, I wish it had gone that way; but in April I fractured my femur and had to cancel.
(I set the femur myself - but that's another story)

In Oct, the Outfitter/PH called and said the last hunt in Nov. was open if I felt up to it.

Nov, 2018 I fly to Tanzania to hunt with Rungwa Safaris. Leg on the mend coupled with no trophy room, no agenda, and no clue as to what most of these animals are, the PH says, "Let's just drive around and see what we find".

"We have an animal which is only found in this area", the PH says as we enter the first hunting area. He's about 2 minutes into describing the characteristics, habitat, etc, when a tracker points to one standing behind a bush with his head sticking out.

This is the animal:

IMG_4028.jpeg

That is how the rest of that hunt went - animals just showed up.

To be continued

Mark,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying my best to put the odds in my favor; the area has lots of leopards and a high rate of success, the owner of the area is very excited and supportive of me completing my Big Five at his camp, and the PH is Greg Michelson - who was just with me for the hunt in Zambia.

As for future goals, to be honest - I don't know what a spiral horn slam is. I don't even have a trophy room. That may have to change.

I am enjoying the hunting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice Franco:

What GMA did you hunt in Zambia?

Nsonga, borders Kafue River and Kafue National Park
Nsonga?
I don’t know any area by that name.
Perhaps autocorrect had some fun with the spelling??

Fantastic pair of safaris you went on. Memories for a lifetime!

Nsonga?
I don’t know any area by that name.
Perhaps autocorrect had some fun with the spelling??

Fantastic pair of safaris you went on. Memories for a lifetime!
I would go with - I don't have the name right. Let me send a note to the PH and ask

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avery44157

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!